Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Profile Chooser (attn Digital Dog or other CM geek).  (Read 5126 times)

thierrylegros396

Quick Profile Chooser (attn Digital Dog or other CM geek).
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:01:06 pm »

Hi to all,

I've just bought a new I1 Display Pro to calibrate my LCD monitor.

The Eizo screen has several presets according to the use (User1 & 2, RGB, Paper, and Movie).

OK, but you need to make one profile for each Preset, because the luminance and contrast may change.

For example, I have User 1 for Screen view (160mCd, contrast = 325, 6500K), and User 2 for Print (100mCd, Contrast = 100, 6500K).

The profiles are good, but I can't change quickly because Win 7 need to reboot or to reload the user Profile!

Before I had the Spyder 2 and a small utility called Profile Chooser which works perfect !

Profile Chooser still works, but is not able to load other profiles that the Datacolor ones !

What do you use, or do you have another solution?

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Simon Garrett

Re: Quick Profile Chooser (attn Digital Dog or other CM geek).
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:54:46 pm »

Thierry,

I'm not sure which Eizo monitor you have, as I guess they may vary. 

I have the CS240.  That has preset modes like "sRGB", "Adobe RGB", "Paper" and "Custom".  In addition there are three modes that can be programmed: CAL1, CAL2 and CAL3.  When I used the supplied ColorNavigator 6 software (with an i1 Display Pro) then when it creates a profile, it automatically loads the LUT part into CAL1.  I've created 4 or 5 different targets in ColorNavigator, and when I select one, it automatically reloads the CAL1 preset with the selected profile, and alters the default monitor profile for that monitor in Windows to the selected profile. 

I can do this either by running ColorNavigator, or there's a ColorNavigator icon in the notification area, and when you click that, it lists the targets, and with a single click it changes the LUT loaded into the monitor CAL1 and changes the default Windows monitor profile. 

In other words - I don't need to reboot Windows to change the profile.  Note that programs that use the profile (browsers, Photoshop, Lightroom...) may not notice the change of profile, as they may look up the current profile only when they start.  In other words, I might need to restart individual programs to make them notice the change of profile. 

Does this help, or are you looking for something else (or maybe ColorNavigator6 doesn't work with your monitor). 

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »

That's correct. You do all this in Colornavigator and there's no need to reboot, or to touch the monitor presets. You do need to relaunch the application (PS/Lr/FF etc) so that it can pick up the new profile at startup, though.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:10:52 am »

Thanks.

I've not installed ColorNavigator, so I'll try it.

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:36:48 am »

You don't say which Eizo model, though. Colornavigator is only an option with the Coloredge models, it won't work with Flexscans.

But still there's no need to reboot. The same procedure applies, only you change the profile in Windows, under Control Panel > Color Management > Devices. Then you relaunch the color managed application, which needs to load the correct profile at startup.

Summing up, there are two parts to this. First you change the monitor's characteristics, the calibration targets, via (Colornavigator or) monitor presets.

Then the corresponding profile, the one that describes the monitor in its present state, is loaded by the OS and the color managed application picks that up at launchtime.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:35 am »

... 'cos if it is one of the models that work with Colornavigator, it probably has a hardware LUT (giving better calibration, and the ability to emulate multiple colour spaces), and only Colornavigator will program the hardware LUT. 

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:06 am »

Flexscan2436.

That means Colornavigator will not work.

Will search for a small Java script that will help me.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

natalieagain

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:51 am »

quick chooser :  Colornavigator

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:17:47 am by natalieagain »

RHPS

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:06 am »

Have you tried x-rite's DisplayProfile? Works perfectly on my Win7 system. Doesn't even seem to need to re-start Photoshop to pick up a different profile. Take a look at http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=757&Action=support&SoftwareID=539
Of course, it doesn't alter any hardware settings in the monitor, but my HP has pre-sets for that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:59:11 am by RHPS »

D Fosse

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:57 am »

So DisplayProfile is still available? I have it, but I was sure x-rite had abandoned it long ago. Had I known I would have suggested it right away.

Doesn't even seem to need to re-start Photoshop to pick up a different profile

That's not how it works. You're mixing up the calibration LUT with the icc profile. Video LUTs are usually stored inside the profile for convenience, confusing the distinction somewhat, but in reality the two are unrelated and perform different functions. The LUT alters monitor behavior, the profile is a description of the monitor in a specific state. The profile doesn't do anything; it's just a description (but using many more parameters than the video LUT).

What happens here is that the system default profile changes, effective immediately. If you have a video card LUT associated with that profile, that gets changed too, and you'll see the changed response. But on OS level, the default profile just sits there, waiting for color managed applications to pick it up.

The profile is loaded by the application once at startup. Then a standard conversion from document profile to display profile is performed, and those RGB data are sent to the display - whatever state the display is in. So you have to relaunch. This is how all color managed applications behave.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:23 pm »

Have you tried x-rite's DisplayProfile? Works perfectly on my Win7 system. Doesn't even seem to need to re-start Photoshop to pick up a different profile. Take a look at http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=757&Action=support&SoftwareID=539
Of course, it doesn't alter any hardware settings in the monitor, but my HP has pre-sets for that.

It seems to what I'm looking for !

Thanks.

Thierry

thierrylegros396

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »

Works well.

I've also found this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/

Seems to do the same.

Have A Nice Day.

Thierry

RHPS

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »

So DisplayProfile is still available? I have it, but I was sure x-rite had abandoned it long ago. Had I known I would have suggested it right away.

That's not how it works. You're mixing up the calibration LUT with the icc profile. Video LUTs are usually stored inside the profile for convenience, confusing the .....

Thanks for clarifying that. Makes more sense now.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 01:54:37 pm »

That's the perfect solution for me !

Thierry
Pages: [1]   Go Up