Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clone - Heal tools in C1 8. How best to use...?  (Read 1235 times)

Dinarius

Clone - Heal tools in C1 8. How best to use...?
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:48 am »

First off, C1 has everything, which is why I'm desperate to move to it from LR. The colour editor and Levels are two reasons for making the switch on their own.

However, I find the Clone/Heal offerings just a tad overwrought, compared with their simple cousin in LR.

That said, I wouldn't mind so much if I could get them to work as well the LR offering, and I can't.

If you want to remove an object (let's say a light switch or alarm bell on an, otherwise, white wall) which of these would you use?

Do you ever get ghosting? i.e. a faint impression remaining of the darkest part of the object you were trying to remove. I do. LR's offering leaves no ghosting.

If you want to remove something in a corner (like a motion detector), in LR you would encircle the object and drag the circle up or down so that you were cloning a clean piece of the corner of the wall. Job done. How can you achieve this in C1?

At the moment, I'm having to fix some TIFFs in CS6. I'd like not to have to do this.

Thanks.

D.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Clone - Heal tools in C1 8. How best to use...?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:20:16 am »

Clone = direct copy of an area
Heal = copy of an area with a blending algorithm applied

Using clone is best if the area you are copying from and the area you are copying to are similar/homogenous as in the texture of a door when removing an ugly lock. Using heal is best when you need the blending algorithm.

Naturally anytime you use a blending algorithm there is a chance it will blend incorrectly and make it uglier. In such cases, like in Photoshop, you need to take into account exactly where you are you copying from, and what hardness you are using on the brush.

You can also use the Edit With to easily roundtrip to Photoshop when really advanced tools for cloning/healing are required.

AlterEgo

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

At the moment, I'm having to fix some TIFFs in CS6. I'd like not to have to do this.

you can fix TIFFs in ACR (as you have PS anyways, you can setup it to use ACR when TIFF is opened)... I find the way C1 works too clumsy for fast/simple healing vs how Adobe does is it in ACR/LR

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:18:39 am »

you can fix TIFFs in ACR (as you have PS anyways, you can setup it to use ACR when TIFF is opened)... I find the way C1 works too clumsy for fast/simple healing vs how Adobe does is it in ACR/LR

A few weeks on...I agree with the above. It is slow. I'm getting used to it, but I'm tending to do cloning/healing quite a bit in CS6.

Apart from this, C1 is superb and I won't be going back to LR. The likes of colour editing and levels alone make it worth the switch, in my opinion.

D.

Ps. Lens profiling takes a bit of getting used to also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up