Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet for photography  (Read 7224 times)

jljonathan

Tablet for photography
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:53:18 pm »

I will be traveling to Japan and would like to take along a tablet for viewing/rating files. I am looking at a Ipad mini 64gb and the Samsung Tab s or pro 16gb but they have a microSD card slot. Does anyone have any experience with these tablets under traveling conditions. What would you recommend? I will be using a new Fuji camera that has wifi transfer. Will both of the these work with it? I use Lightroom at home on a Mac. Will I be able to use either of these tabs to transfer files to the Mac/Lightroom? I see that Lightroom mobile will soon be available for Android tablets etc.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Tablet for photography
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:24:44 pm »

Personally I think a tablet is pretty useless for viewing/editing anything. If you don't want or need to take a MBP then just take an HDMI cable to view on a TV and lots of cards and spend the time taking more photos and looking at Japan. I have been on photo tours to interesting places and the whole group spent each night in the hotel room going through photos while I went out and saw the place.

It is a shame more cameras don't let you rate in the camera like Hasselblad.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:17:20 pm »

The Samsung Galaxy S tablets have the best display of any portable device I've ever seen. My iPad mini pales in comparison. Mine arrives in a few days. As for editing, I have no idea how well they'll work.

chex

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:06:55 pm »

Get a Surface Pro instead of a glorified phone.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:45 am »

Get a Surface Pro
Of the tablets currently available the MSP3 seems to offer the most with respect for performance. You can run all your normal software well on them and they have good connectivity.
The only deal killer for me was the long term prospects of something that can't be repaired, so when the battery eventually fails, it's landfill :-(

I'm with the small laptop camp here. There's not that much extra weight or size, but what you can do on them is so much more useful.
A 12" Thinkpad with an IPS screen works excellently for me.

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:53 am »

I took an iPad mini on an 3 week overseas trip last year and regretted it pretty quickly. The connector kit is very slow and integration with editing programs is clumsy, you will need to buy a dedicated RAW editing program (make sure you check to find one that supports your RAW file format) - I tried a few and the quality was terrible. If you're happy with taking the low res photos direct from the Fuji wifi to the tablet for posting to social media then it will be fine but for proper evaluation and editing you'll need a laptop.
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:54 pm »

I've traveled now for several years and many weeks on the road with an iPad & iPad 2, both with 64GB ram, including three month-long trips to Europe where size and weight were factors.

I have the connection kit and the SD dongle. I shoot with both Nikon D800 and Panasonic GX7 bodies. Until iOS 8 came along, I could edit my raw files with iPhoto. Now I use one of the other apps on the iPad but don't remember which other than it will handle the raw files.

Downloading is always slow no matter what. For the D800, I use a USB-3 cable. For the Panasonic, I use the SD card dongle. The thumbnails from the D800 move along, but selecting is from an image that's perhaps a half square inch of real estate. Down loading from the dongle is extremely SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWW! A 32GB card will take at least a half hour or more…just to render the thumbnails. Don't even think of trying a filled 64GB card (I did once and that was enough, especially when I bumped the dongle 45 minutes into rendering…then started from square one taking more than an hour!) There's no rhyme or reason to what is rendered first. It seems random, sometimes from the start, sometimes from the middle, sometimes from the end of the card. You wait a long time to see the images, select them, and in a few minutes, they are downloaded, the fastest part of the operation. The tags stay with the images on the card so you known what's been downloaded previously.

Shooting raw files, you need to find an app that will work with your camera raw files. Usually, the tools are rudimentary but enoung, even when iPhoto was compatible. I was able to process any files to convert to jpeg for email and fulfillment along the way. An iPad can also easily download your video files, though I am not sure which formats are supported other than MP4. All the images are stashed into the Photos app and each download is kept a separate group, even additional downloads from the same card.

I started traveling without my MacBook four years ago so as to save a good six pounds between the MBP, brick and accessories.

Traveling this way is lighter and simpler but takes patience. Because I'm downsizing to the Panasonic cameras for my main travel cameras, I'll probably go with a iPad Mini 128 since it is smaller and lighter and everything fits in a very small bag compared to a large, barely-overhead bin fitting and very heavy (16KG) backpack.

You can function with these tools, but know that even though it is smaller and lighter (great to me!) it all has limitations and creates other issues you need to workout before your trip.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:45:40 pm »

Downloading is always slow no matter what. For the D800, I use a USB-3 cable. For the Panasonic, I use the SD card dongle. The thumbnails from the D800 move along, but selecting is from an image that's perhaps a half square inch of real estate. Down loading from the dongle is extremely SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWW!

This is due to a bug (or at least a highly regrettable change in behavior) in the Photos app, introduced somewhere around iOS 7. The actual download speed is okay but creating thumbnail images for review prior to downloading takes an eternity. It's rather funny-haha that I could review & download from SD cards faster with my 2011 iPad 2 running iOS 4.whatever than I can now with a far speedier—in every other respect—Air 2 and iOS 8. I know this has been reported to Apple…

-Dave-

bassman51

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 09:17:05 am »

If your camera comes with wifi and an iPad app, I find these much much faster and more convenient for reviewing and selecting than Apple's dongle.  The thumbnails are created pretty quickly, and you have the ability to see a full screen sized preview before importing.  They often also offer the option of sorting the thumbnails in reverse time sequence, unlike the Apple app which insists on loading and generating from the oldest image first. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

laraaustin

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:54:21 am »

iPad Air.. The Apple community functionality that allows you to view other people’s photo streams
Pages: [1]   Go Up