Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watendlath  (Read 2607 times)

KMRennie

Watendlath
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »

Taken this morning. Got up early hoping for a magic sunrise, heavy frost and lots of snow but it never happened. This is Watendlath in the English  Lake District Fuji XE-1 XF 18-55.

Ken

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Watendlath
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »

Love it!
It breaks so many landscape "rules" but I love it just the same. It's refreshing both in composition and treatment.
Thanks for sharing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:38:01 am »

The foreground looks a bit cluttered to me, but it is a lovely scene.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:47:35 am »

Lovely view. I'm in the Lakes in February, so do try to keep some snow around

churly

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:33:30 am »

It breaks so many landscape "rules" but I love it just the same. It's refreshing both in composition and treatment.
Thanks for sharing.

I think this shot is very nice as well. 

Terry I am wondering if you would be willing to expand a bit on the 'breaks so many landscape rules" part of your comment.  In this case I don't understand what you mean.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:46:29 am »

This is very atmospheric, and I like the almost-monochrome look - after all, it is WINTER! Very pleasing. I love pink dawn light too but the slate gray works very well here.

KMRennie

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 11:41:16 am »

Thanks all for the comments. Here are more images of Watendlath, population approximately 10. The time between the first sunlight and blue sky shot and the last slate grey one was approx 40 minutes, the weather changes fast and just got gloomier with little chance of changing so it was home for hot soup and bread. Their were a couple of very inquisitive robins fluttering and squabbling only a few feet away and following me as I walked about. I wish that I could take BIF as they were performing an aerial joust but the speed of focusing or continuous focusing of a Fuji XE-1 isn't up to it.
Bill the snow is mostly gone but you never know what February will bring. To any other visitor to Cumbria I picked up a book in my local Library "The Photographer's guide to the Lake District" ISBN 978-0992683405 which lists 56 locations with maps and instructions about how to get to each location including how difficult the walk may be. I have lived in Cumbria for 20 years and do not know all of the locations outlined. For the casual visitor it may be worth a look especially if you use your local Library before they are closed down. Last shot is Ashness bridge, the most photographed place around here, it is crossed on the road up to Watendlath. Taken a few years ago( in February)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »

The light in the bridge shot is glorious.

Whereabouts in Cumbria do you live, Ken?

Jeremy

duboisst

• 500PX
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »

Which rules? There are rules? aren't they made to be broken? All the best photographers say so. ;)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 08:26:32 am »

Which rules? There are rules? aren't they made to be broken? All the best photographers say so. ;)

Exactly my point, however, I should have put the word "rules" in quotes so you would understand my point more clearly. Or perhaps I should have used a word that is softer and less-offensive to you, like "guidelines".

Rather like former smokers, there are those who like to boast about their coming of age by ignoring or out-growing the "rules", but we all know you don't simply point and shoot (or, hey, don't point at all and just click where ever the lens happens to be pointed). No - you don't do that. So you must apply some compositional thought to the frame. They can be called rules or guidelines or whatever - but, the "how-tos" of landscape photography (of all visual art, actually) suggest silly things like the elements of design, principles of organization, and compositional techniques including (God forbid) the rule of thirds or the golden ratio, the rule of odds, the rule of space. (See en.wikipedia.org/Compostion_(visual_arts))(tongue partially in cheek, but please, don't try to pretend you don't follow some kind of "guidelines" (if the word "rules" is too strong for your free-spirited nature) when making photographs).

And YES, those rules are made to be broken (duh - we're not stupid!); it just doesn't happen enough. We see a great many "mechanical" landscapes made by those who follow the rules and have nice, what I like to call "neat and tidy", landscapes - too often my own work included. That being said, we have a great many who post here to get feedback about how to improve. Often that feedback suggests the "rules" are followed more closely to achieve balance, movement, etc.

In many ways, this photo does follow some basic rules (of thirds to some extent), but it also represents what we don't see often enough in landscapes; a "scrubby", grey, dreary, overcast day at, what seems like, the time of day when many "photographers" would be home in front of the fire; scrubby-looking snow, not that beautiful un-broken blanket we often see; two main trees (not three or five); centrally-placed focal point, not off-centre, a strong foreground (as is often recommended for landscapes), yet it is cut-off and seems incomplete ... In many ways it is the antithesis of what we so often see online, in calendars, books, etc.

Wonderful work!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:27:47 am »

All of these are wonderful, but I especially enjoy the last (bridge) and the first (monochromatic dawn) because of their respective atmosphere. "Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules" to paraphrase a line from Sierra Madre.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

thierrylegros396

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »

I like the bird very much!

Thierry

Colorado David

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 09:35:36 am »

I like them all, especially the bird, but my most favorite is the last one.  Was there a troll under that bridge?  Superb work.

DwayneOakes

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:43:05 am »

Very cool stone work, could spend days in that little area capturing it, all very nice captures.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 06:31:14 pm »

I like the first one, for some reason it looked better smaller than when I blew it up.  The bird .. well I just like them.  And the last bridge is a great shot, has a nice feel for me.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up