Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot colour cast  (Read 1059 times)

canto

Hot colour cast
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

After tweaking a series of corporate portraits and obtaining nicely balanced skin tones,
a print on Lumiere glossy paper results in reddish tones where the nicely balanced skin tones
are clearly on the suntanned side.
Why ?

howardm

Re: Hot colour cast
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:57 pm »

1.  did you softproof the corrected images?
2.  have you previously used this paper w/ success?
3.  what kind of light did you view the prints in?  Have you tried others?
4.  if you're using a color profile, are you sure you did NOT 'double' color manage?

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »

1.  did you softproof the corrected images?
2.  have you previously used this paper w/ success?
3.  what kind of light did you view the prints in?  Have you tried others?
4.  if you're using a color profile, are you sure you did NOT 'double' color manage?
5.  Are you using a calibrated monitor?
Nothing changes until something changes.

canto

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:22:48 am »

1.  did you softproof the corrected images? Yes
2.  have you previously used this paper w/ success? No. First time.
3.  what kind of light did you view the prints in?  Have you tried others? Daylight and corrected source
4.  if you're using a color profile, are you sure you did NOT 'double' color manage? Here, I don't use a color profile, I use colour managed by Photoshop

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:00 am »

Photoshop needs a profile in order to both soft-proof and print correctly.  What Howard is saying is to double-check that you don't also have the printer driver managing color.

After checking that, if the soft proof is markedly different from the print, that would suggest that there is something amiss in the color calibration of the display, there is something weird in the ICC profile, or the printer itself is malfunctioning.  Nozzle check is clean?

First thing I'd do is go back to a known paper and confirm results with that.

Good luck!

howardm

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:50:44 am »

I'm not understanding how you're softproofing and setting Photoshop to *some* profile but not actually using the paper profile.
What *EXACTLY* are you setting Photoshop to use as a profile? (the wrong answer is 'monitor RGB' or 'sRGB' or something like that)

So, on first reading, it sounds like the softproofing is not setup correctly and you corrected for the wrong thing.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:09:31 am »

Have you made a custom profile for that paper in HP Utility?
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:13:04 am »

"1.  did you softproof the corrected images? Yes
 2.  have you previously used this paper w/ success? No. First time.
 3.  what kind of light did you view the prints in?  Have you tried others? Daylight and corrected source
 4.  if you're using a color profile, are you sure you did NOT 'double' color manage? Here, I don't use a color profile, I use colour managed by Photoshop"

I have to admit this is all rather confusing and I'm not at all surprised that your colour is not what you want or expect.  All of the other posts so far have posed the right questions and offered some very valid suggestions as well.  As Howard mentioned, if you are softproofing without using a paper profile it's a wasted effort.  And as "Jager" wrote, if you are indeed printing from Photoshop it definitely requires a paper profile, preferably the paper you are currently printing on.  Of course if you are letting the printer manage colour there are no paper profiles to select, that section is not active.  The suggestions about display calibration and good nozzle patterns are also valid, but at this point I believe you really have to address the driver settings first.  I will touch on softproofing first though.  If you don't actually have any paper profiles installed there is no point in trying to soft proof an image, unless you are using that image for something other than printing from Photoshop.  When you go to View>Proof Setup in the Photoshop Menu you should first open the "Custom" dialog.  There you will find any and all paper profiles you have installed.  Chose the one that you're going to be printing on and view the image.  The soft proof will try to mimic the paper of choice and you can then make the necessary adjustments before printing/testing.  If you don't have a profile for the paper in question you should visit the website of the paper manufacturer and download and install the profile.  If you are letting the printer manage colours that's a hit & miss scenario, MOSTLY MISS!  I am including two printer driver screenshots that might be of help.  These are on a Mac, so if you're using a PC your driver will probably look somewhat different, not sure.  These two shots will at least shed a bit of light on what you should be looking for in the printer driver dialog.  I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:21:37 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:32:41 am »

He can make a custom profile with the embedded spectrophotometer, and needs to do that first.

First name the paper, then base it on  an existing paper preset such as HP Premium Instant Dry Gloss, calibrate then profile, then create the custom ICC profile.

Once he has a custom profile, then he can print.  Photoshop manages color.

He should get good results without necessarily needing to softproof in order to troubleshoot his issue.  If it
is strictly a profile issue, then his print should look markedly better once he prints with a custom profile.

EDIT:  There will be no canned profile on the paper website most likely, as the paper manufacturers know all Z Series printers make their own profiles.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:41:15 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

howardm

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:52:55 am »

who makes this Lumiere paper?  I've never heard of it and cannot find references to it

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:14 am »

who makes this Lumiere paper?  I've never heard of it and cannot find references to it

Looks like some kind of funky paper

http://www.pixmania.ie/printer-paper/lumiere-glossy-photo-25-sheets-a4-photo-paper/22144574-a.html
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

canto

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »

Thank you so much guys.
I do,n't have time yet to review and apply your advice.
I'll let you know tomorrow (my time).
Lumiere is just a new paper I'm testing.
Usually I use only Hannemuhle HP and PermaJet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up