Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H1D for Landscapes  (Read 3588 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Hasselblad H1D for Landscapes
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:56 am »

How practical is this camera for landscapes considering it has that image bank to deal with? Anyone using it?
Mike

epines

• ethan pines photography
Re: Hasselblad H1D for Landscapes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:38:53 am »

I assume you mean using the back on a technical camera? You don't need the ImageBank if you're using the back on the body. Even on a technical camera, you don't need to use the ImageBank. There are other battery power sources out there. (I've used the Tekkeon 3450i, though I now own an ImageBank.)

The ImageBank is well made and easy to deal with. Holds a ton of images, takes batteries that are cheap and easy to find. You can clamp it to the tripod, keep it in a pouch, on your belt, etc. Overall I think the H system is great. I predominantly shoot people (portraits, lifestyle, conceptual), and I use it on a tech camera for architecture. Keith Laban is correct that you won't be able to use the 24mm or 28mm on the H1. Nor the 35-90mm. You'd have to get, I believe, an H3D or later model.

How practical is this camera for landscapes considering it has that image bank to deal with? Anyone using it?
Mike

Mike Sellers

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »

I don`t use wide angles much but would the 50-110 work? Can you use other lenses like the Mamiya with an adapter?
Mike

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:34:45 pm »

I don`t use wide angles much but would the 50-110 work? Can you use other lenses like the Mamiya with an adapter?
Mike

Any of the HC lenses are fine - the 50-110 included.  HCD lenses like the 24/28/35-90 all need a newer body.  You can use a number of the Hasselblad CF lens with an adapter, but no other lenses work on the H body (no focal plane shutter).
t: @PNWMF

Mike Sellers

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »

Could the 60-120 Hasselblad zoom be adapted for use on this camera?

Ken R

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:22:55 pm »

Could the 60-120 Hasselblad zoom be adapted for use on this camera?

No, the 60-120 is an FE lens and does not have a shutter. The Hasselblad H series cameras do not have a focal plane shutter therefore they need to be used with lenses that have leaf shutters.

skimasks

• http://www.justinpoulsen.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:10 am »

Know that the 50-110 is extremely large and heavy. I leave it in the studio for the most part.

mi-fu

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 04:28:57 am »

I assume you mean using the back on a technical camera? You don't need the ImageBank if you're using the back on the body. Even on a technical camera, you don't need to use the ImageBank. There are other battery power sources out there. (I've used the Tekkeon 3450i, though I now own an ImageBank.)

The ImageBank is well made and easy to deal with. Holds a ton of images, takes batteries that are cheap and easy to find. You can clamp it to the tripod, keep it in a pouch, on your belt, etc. Overall I think the H system is great. I predominantly shoot people (portraits, lifestyle, conceptual), and I use it on a tech camera for architecture. Keith Laban is correct that you won't be able to use the 24mm or 28mm on the H1. Nor the 35-90mm. You'd have to get, I believe, an H3D or later model.

I think an imagebank is necessary for H1D, as H1D doesn't take CF cards.

H2D and models afterwards do not need imagebank though  ;)

ZamanPhoto

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:13 am »

Hello there

I owned an H1D-22 outfit for long time (just sold couple days back - check for sale section here). I used it for fashion and beauty photography, but recently I was having some fun with it for landscape. I own other hasselblad, but honestly?? I liked the dynamic range and details of H1D the most, I really do.

Technically, H1D digital back or first generation DB by imacon doesn't have built in storage/memory, so you need alternative storage media, such as image bank and its a must. Another important purpose for image banks is, it will work as a power supply for H1D and 1st generation DB, since those DBs doesn't accept batteries.

Imacon does this bank as well as Hasselblad does it too. The hard disk inside the image bank is normal 3.5 IDE 5400RPM HDD, which mean no mater what image bank capacity do you have, you still can upgraded yourself but replacing the HDD inside.  But remember to format it into FAT format. I dont think you need more than 40GB HDD  ;D

Bottom of line:
H1D and 1st generation DB outfit connected to a dedicated cable from DB to Image bank. Image bank can work untethered for outdoor location or tethered via firewire cable indoor (of course a laptop for outdoor would work too) .. SO ITS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR LANDSCAPE  ;)

Sorry for long replay .. and I wish it was helpful

ZamanPhoto

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:58:50 am »

H1 upto H3 are compatiable with all HC lenses .. he can't use HCD series only.

I'll let others comment on the image bank, but how important are wide angle lenses to you?

You wouldn't be able to use the H series 24mm and 28mm lenses.

ZamanPhoto

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:13 am »

Yup, including the 24 and 28.

Yep you are 100% right .. 24mm, 28mm and 35-90mm all are HCD lenses Hasselblad make.

But still .. he has plenty of V lenses .. yet cheaper and higher quality .. for example 120mm macro V lens is super sharp
Pages: [1]   Go Up