Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy New Year Welcome to 2015  (Read 3293 times)

G*

Happy New Year Welcome to 2015
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:36:18 am »

Dear Kevin,

it’s great to hear about what you and Michael and Chris are planning for the next months to come. Please let me ad one bullet point to your to-do-list, though:

• Get a serious proof reader for the articles-section.

It won’t cost you a fortune as any retired high-school teacher who knows the difference between "than" and "then" will already make a big difference compared to relying on the automatic spelling checker of your text editing software. I think it would be appropriate for the content of LuLa to be presented free of mistakes.

My English is really not that good, it’s just something I learned in school for a few years, but I find those typos really distracting.

All the best to the LuLa team!

stamper

G*

Re: Happy New Year Welcome to 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:08 am »

So you don’t care, that’s okay. Will you feel offended when you read a text without obvious mistakes?

stamper

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:14 am »

None of us live in a perfect world? I have read the odd mistake on the site but it doesn't bother me and I suspect most members won't be bothered either. I think your post says more about you than the publishers of the site. May I suggest you take a long walk and clear your head?

G*

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:19:06 am »

I must agree, it says something about me: I’m in the publishing business, doing books, twenty to thirty a year. I was asking you because I have some self-interest in these things. If you (and all the other people) don’t care about language any more I could safe some money. Oh, and take my child out of school and make it work for some more money at an earlier age. :-)

Greg Kittle

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:51 am »

If you (and all the other people) don’t care about language any more I could safe some money.

I don't want to be accused of being pedantic, but did you mean to write "safe" or "save" some money? Just an observation  ;)

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »

I totally agree with the OP. It's not being pedantic at all to proof-read texts. Many writers appreciate the relatively small effort made on their behalf.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 05:09:16 pm »

I agree too. The errors bother me - not enough to stop me reading, of course, but they niggle.

Indeed, I'll happily volunteer to fill the post.

Jeremy

David S

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:22:56 am »

Sure the errors are small but they do get in the way. Totally agree with the OP!

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:44 am »

I agree too. The errors bother me - not enough to stop me reading, of course, but they niggle.

Indeed, I'll happily volunteer to fill the post.

Jeremy
I agree too. And I'll happily volunteer Jeremy for the post, even if it means he'll insist on misspelling a few words, like "color."   :D

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Krug

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:25 am »

I remember an older mentor picking me up on the same issue many years ago and suggesting that such minor issues might suggest subliminally in the readers' minds that the analysis and thought behind the writing might be similarly flawed - admittedly in minor ways but not the impression one was trying to convey.
I thought he was being over-pedantic but after more thought realized that he might be right - and anyway did one want to risk that impression?

So I tried to eliminate such lacunae to the very best of my ability and available time.

It isn't a bad rule.

I still think LULA is one of the very best photo info and advice sources available but do let us all be very careful not to let it slip please.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

stamper

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 10:32:07 am »

It would be helpful if the original poster would link the members to what actually upset him. Without that we can't validate what he is referring to. Not having full command of the English language might mean he read it wrong? :(

BJL

crowd-sourced proof-reading
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 10:37:28 am »

Dear Kevin,

• Get a serious proof reader for the articles-section.

It won’t cost you a fortune ...
I have a suggestion: crowd-sourcing.  Many readers and posters a this site have shown both the ability to detect editing errors and a willingness to write multiple messages about them, so why not have a sub-forum where proposed corrections can be posted, discussed, disputed, revised, and eventually read and acted upon by the editors?

It could be called the "Too Much Coffee Corner".

Colorado David

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

Minor (and not so minor) copy errors are common in the internet age.  Read a major news organization's online editions and they are full of errors.  For them, the rush to publish is more important than their obligation to language, spelling, grammar, and punctuation (and sometimes facts.)

Colorado David

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 11:39:56 am »

That's why someone else has to do it.  Your brain is very, very powerful at turning what you see into what you meant to see when proofing copy.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:51 pm »

Thanks for the comments.  Both Michael and I read each others articles and we make corrections when we see them.  Granted we are two old men that wear glasses and many times don't see the errors.  Chris also gets into the act and reads through articles and makes corrections.  We try.  However this is your site too and we are happy to take emails pointing out paragraphs and words that needs to be corrected and we will happily make corrections. 

Later today I'll publish a preview of our new site and once we are in it full time hopefully some of the spelling issues and such will go away.  We didn't even have a decent spell checker in the present system.  Lately I have been running all articles through grammarly.com  It does a pretty good job catching problems too.  We are trying.  Once again if you see something glaringly bad then please email us.  We'll fix it.

Thanks

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 03:49:48 pm »

[...]

Later today I'll publish a preview of our new site and once we are in it full time hopefully some of the spelling issues and such will go away.  We didn't even have a decent spell checker in the present system.  Lately I have been running all articles through grammarly.com  It does a pretty good job catching problems too.  We are trying.  Once again if you see something glaringly bad then please email us.  We'll fix it.

Thanks

Kevin Raber

Hello Kevin,

can you please tell me where the preview of the new site you were talking about can be found ?

Thanks in advance

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »

See today's front page story.  That's all we can show now since we are still working on it.  Just got out of a meeting with the developers and it is performing really well.  We are very excited. I give  a pretty good description in the article.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

BJL

new LuLa site design: I like it so far
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »

About the new site design:
See today's front page story.  That's all we can show now since we are still working on it.
From what I see there, I like the new layout a lot more.

But since the editing is being crowd-sourcing, you mean "RSS feed", not "RRS feed".

Eric Myrvaagnes

Re: new LuLa site design: I like it so far
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »

About the new site design:From what I see there, I like the new layout a lot more.

But since the editing is being crowd-sourcing, you mean "RSS feed", not "RRS feed".
Maybe Kevin plans to send it all to Really Right Stuff.  :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up