Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Hasselblad H3D2-31 or Pentax 645D  (Read 2238 times)

rollsman44

Help: Hasselblad H3D2-31 or Pentax 645D
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:02:37 am »

I know this can be very subjective but is there a difference in IQ using the Hassy Lens VS Pentax Lens ?
    I shoot mainly Portraits and groups.  Thank you

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Help: Hasselblad H3D2-31 or Pentax 645D
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:57:03 pm »

At common working apertures, no.  Especially if you're shooting strobes (ie: no vibration advantage for the leaf shutters).  It's Fuji vs Pentax, and both are very good. The Pentax 120mm is exceptional.   The 45-85mm is surprisingly good. The 75mm is very good as well. Ditto the DFA 55mm.

You can also put the latest CFi "V" lenses on the Pentax if you want. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »

At common working apertures, no.  Especially if you're shooting strobes (ie: no vibration advantage for the leaf shutters).  It's Fuji vs Pentax, and both are very good. The Pentax 120mm is exceptional.   The 45-85mm is surprisingly good. The 75mm is very good as well. Ditto the DFA 55mm.

You can also put the latest CFi "V" lenses on the Pentax if you want.  

- N.

The definition of a "common working aperture" is very very dependent on the shooting style of the photographer.

I just got done with a wedding and used two cameras. One never left f/1.4 (Fuji X-Pro 1) and the other never left f/11 (Phase One A Series). If I had been using the 110LS on the DF+ (my other go-to for weddings) I would have rarely, if ever, left wide open (feel free to PM me for raw files showing 80mp on a Schneider 110LS wide open and you'll see why).

For my portrait needs/wants if a lens doesn't perform beautifully wide-open then it doesn't perform. For someone else they may only shoot a few stops down, or only at high apertures. All depends on the photographer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:44:52 pm by Doug Peterson »

Ken R

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »

I know this can be very subjective but is there a difference in IQ using the Hassy Lens VS Pentax Lens ?
    I shoot mainly Portraits and groups.  Thank you

Hi I had the 645D and 5 lenses and now have a Hasselblad H1 and 80mm lens which I use with my IQ160 back for when I want to do some portraits (instead of landscapes with the Arca Swiss). I tested the Hasselblad 120, 150 and 210mm lenses and they are all Consistently VERY good wide open and closed down. The Pentax lenses were not good at all wide open except maybe the 120mm macro A (manual focus only) f4 lens and the new 55mm f2.8 lens. The 75mm f2.8 was pretty bad wide open and so were the zooms. They were good at f8-f11 though.

The Hasselblad H lenses are just solid and in another class overall.

I have not used the Mamiya/Phase Schneider lenses but I would asume they are similar to the Hasselblad judging from what I have seen online.

Gel

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:27:22 am »

I tend to shoot wide open and out of the 150 2.8, 120 F4, 75 2.8 and 55mm 2.8 Pentax FA lenses only the 150mm suffers. It only really has an issue with purple fringing if I blow the highlights.

The lenses are much much better than you would expect. As good, if not better than the H series lenses as far as image rendering go.

I shot this image yesterday with the 120mm F4 (At F4) whilst attached to the 2x Extender, manually focusing. I cannot find any fault with it. No chroma, no fringing, nothing.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:38 am »

I cannot find any fault with it.

wooof!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up