Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5.7 import question  (Read 1457 times)

hassiman

Lightroom 5.7 import question
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:22:52 am »

Hi,
This is driving me crazy....  Maybe someone has an answer....
I have a lot of folders on my Mac full of RAW and JPG files downloaded from different digital cameras over the years.  I have each of the folders named indicating subject, camera and date.
I am downloading these folders onto an external RAID Drive where they will live permanently.

I  am starting with a clean slate and LightRoom5 and want to import these RAW & JPG files into LR5.

I would like the files to import into LR5 so that the folders with the earliest capture dates display in chronological order from oldest to newest

Question: when importing files in named folders will the library sort and display the folders by the date on which the folders and the files they contain were imported into LR5 or will the folders be sorted and displayed by the date contained in the EXIF information attached to the files IN the folders?

Thanks.

Alistair

Re: Lightroom 5.7 import question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:39 am »

Hi,
This is driving me crazy....  Maybe someone has an answer....
I have a lot of folders on my Mac full of RAW and JPG files downloaded from different digital cameras over the years.  I have each of the folders named indicating subject, camera and date.
I am downloading these folders onto an external RAID Drive where they will live permanently.

I  am starting with a clean slate and LightRoom5 and want to import these RAW & JPG files into LR5.

I would like the files to import into LR5 so that the folders with the earliest capture dates display in chronological order from oldest to newest

Question: when importing files in named folders will the library sort and display the folders by the date on which the folders and the files they contain were imported into LR5 or will the folders be sorted and displayed by the date contained in the EXIF information attached to the files IN the folders?

Thanks.

I believe the correct answer is neither. The folders are displayed in the Library module in alpha-numeric order of the folder name. EDIT: Hopefully the date is the first part of your folder naming protocol. Of course once you are in LR, you will not need the camera name, subject etc. in the folder name; you will have keywords and EXIF to handle that. Rather, you can let LR automatically create the date-name folders for you and import into those with the requisite keywords assigned on import and the EIXIF intact.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:30:59 am by Alistair »
Alistair

AFairley

Re: Lightroom 5.7 import question
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

As to the files themselves, you can choose to sort/display them by capture time or file name or file type or a few other options.  You can also select multiple folders to display the files in them or even display all files by selecting the root folder. But the folders themselves in the left hand pane will be alpha-sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up