Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Disto for Tech cam  (Read 3295 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Leica Disto for Tech cam
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:38:30 pm »

Hi All,

I've an RM3di kit on the way to me next week.

I was hoping to find out what people have been using in the Leica Disto range.
The D2 and the D5 seem to be the benchmark.

I actually ordered the e-module cloud as well, so I'm wondering who has used this and or which Leica Distos (with any tech camera)

Cheers
Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Leica Disto for Tech cam
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:48:34 am »

Congratulations on the Arca,  PS, you may want to move this to the medium format forum. 

If you are using mainly wides, you may find that the detailed info from the Lecia is not needed.  I use a rm3di, and carry a rangefinder only when I am using the 90mm or 120mm.  My other lenses, I determined the hyperfocal distance, and then use that in the field.  The range finder I carry will range to 400 yards, which covers the area I tend to shoot.  

Not sure of the back you have, but if it's an IQ Phase One, you may also want to consider both the tethering options (in the field I use the Surface 2) and Live View, which can be actually very accurate even on a CCD back like the IQ260 as long as you have a good vario ND to use.  

Obviously if you are doing very selective focus work, the range finder is a great companion, if you don't have the ability to use Live View.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »

HI Paul,

Thanks for the info.
Have a Credo 60 coming with it, along with the 43 and 60XL's
Other lenses to be added as I go.

When shooting interiors, selective focus will be a must, exteriors, hyperfocal yes, likely.

I will be looking to the Surface 2 when I've become a little more familiar with C1 and the camera.

How do I move to a different forum?

Thanks

Andrew

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:13:32 pm »

I think only the Moderators can move a thread.  You can send them a message. 

It's going to get much more traffic in the Medium Format thread, lots of interior shooters over there.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:04 am »

Thank you for moving this thread.

Any thoughts from people appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:51 am »

I have found that even for wides its fairly critical to be focused on what you want to be sharp.  Hyperfocal doesn't cut it for me especially at these pixel levels.  I've moved on to the CMOS chip so don't have use for my disto with that back but with my IQ180 it was/is absolutely necessary and faster than live view. 

Victor

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:36 am »

Andrew
I first used a Bosch DLE 40. It's small and for interiors perfect. But you can't see the red point in sunlight.
That's why I have changed to the Disto D8.
For focusing I have the Alpa HPF-Rings.
It works perfect.
Regards,
Ben

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:58 pm »

I always work of a laptop on interiors and focus by trial and error.  It's WAY more accurate than distance.  I do have a Disto E7400x but I really only use it with the Red and cine lenses.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:41:33 pm by Chris Barrett »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:31:05 pm »

Thanks Chris,

Have you worked with the E-Cloud.  I liked it on the trials I had with the camera.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:42 pm »

I use a sliding back and a 15x loupe to focus, and, for interiors, add in checking the focus on a laptop.  For exteriors, I just rely on the loupe and sliding back.

So far so good, but it does take some time to get use to focusing on ground glass.  (I know others have had problems with their sensors not lining up exactly with the ground glass, but mine is pretty much spot on.)  Also, checking the focus on the edge of the frame is not possible with just the sliding back since you can not get the loupe that close to the edge without hitting the housing. 

With the wides, you will find the DoF is so good, that it does not matter as much if you do not hit the focus perfect.  As long as you are close, everything will be tack sharp anyway.  And after a while, you will get to know your lenses and where the focus will be based on the numbers, and will be able to adjust accordingly without really thinking about it. 

The only lens that I am extra careful with is my 90mm, due to a smaller DoF.  After some practice though, focusing on the ground glass works great for me. 

I know some are against getting the sliding back due to more stuff to carry around, and looking at the image upside down and backwards and other reasons that I can not remember.  However, I find it to be a real benefit; it is much easier composing an one-point with a sliding back than using live view or that viewfinder thing. 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 02:32:29 pm »

Hi Joe,

Thanks very much.  Yes, with wides I was thinking this would be the case.  I suppose I've been thinking for more 'selective' focus with the longer lens.
I'll get started and see how I go. 

Are you using the AS sliding back or the kapture group?
I have the AS on order, as I to want to use it for fine composition adjustments as you noted.
Which Loupe do you use?
Are you using a spot light meter?

Thanks.
Cheers
Andrew

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »

I use the KG sliding back; it is smaller and more compact.  If I bought a M Line 2 as a studio camera, I would probably get the AS version. 

I use a cheap 15x loupe.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40689-REG/Peak_1301962_15x_Loupe.html

No spot meter anymore.  I will kind of just guess and look at the histogram and/or laptop.  However I thinking about getting a color meter. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ken R

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »

Hi All,

I've an RM3di kit on the way to me next week.

I was hoping to find out what people have been using in the Leica Disto range.
The D2 and the D5 seem to be the benchmark.

I actually ordered the e-module cloud as well, so I'm wondering who has used this and or which Leica Distos (with any tech camera)

Cheers
Andrew

I use the Disto only. I do not use a groundglass (I have it but never use it) so I really never remove the back from the body (for vertical/horizontal rotation I use the RotaMount, really permanently mounted on the rig). For composing the image I use live view (IQ160) and or a combination of the optical vario finder and my eye + some test shots. Once you get used to the setup it is pretty easy and quick to use. No worries.

First thing you need to do is get the precise focus offset for each lens at infinity. I live on a 11th floor with a view of the city so it was easy to do on my balcony on a sunny day.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 11:51:33 am »

First thing you need to do is get the precise focus offset for each lens at infinity. I live on a 11th floor with a view of the city so it was easy to do on my balcony on a sunny day.

I did the same thing with the Alpa HPF rings and focusing is now always absolutely correct.

Pages: [1]   Go Up