Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Tripod for XT-1  (Read 6198 times)

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
Travel Tripod for XT-1
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:04:49 pm »

Hi guys

I'm looking a tripod to take on a trip to Iceland, where I plan to shoot a load of waterfalls, long exposures and the Northern Lights.

I want to take a smaller and lighter tripod that my Manfrotto one.

Any recommendations?

Nothing too expensive. Have looked at the Manfrotto BeFree,  Me Foto Backpaker/Road Trip any others out there worht looking at?

Thanks
Martin

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Travel Tripod for XT-1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:41 pm »

Here comes a bit of a mouthful:
The Giotto VGRN 8265 L1 with their MH 5501 head and a RRS quick release clamp works wonders.
You can find them here.
It folds to 16 1/2 inches and is very light and comes apart to make a monopod if need be. And the speed locking is quite cool.
I still wrap a loop of bungee between my foot and the hook under the head to keep it rock solid in wind. And I really miss my Acratech ball head when travelling light, but it won't fit on the Giotto tripod and still be able to fold it up, so you can't have everything.
David

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:58 pm »

If it's not very windy I'm using a carbon fiber Sirui with their ballhead, very light and compact. Unfortunately the center column is always extended.

That Giotto option from the previous post looks nice.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:13:42 pm »

Here is the Sirui, I see on the new models you can remove the center column?! I'll have to check mine again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:55:56 am »

I picked up one of the MePhoto carbon tripods with a small head that has an arca/swiss compatible clamp. It folds up fairly small, doesn't weigh much, fits in my carryon bag, etc. It easily handles my X-T1. It's not as sturdy as a bigger 'pod of course, but I can hang my bag underneath which helps a lot. I think they offer two sizes, and I got the slightly larger one.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:56 am »

I'm tall, 6'4" so this may NOT be your cup of tea.  I have been very pleased with my Sirui. 

Sirui M-3204X Carbon Fiber M Series 4 Section Tripod Legs 69.7" Height.

I also got the Sirui K-10X ball head.  This gave me a lightweight combination that works wonderfully with my Fuji X-T1 and my Canon DSLRs.

An added bonus is that the tripod comes with an excellent carrying case. 
Regards,
Ron

spidermike

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 12:16:22 pm »

Which manfrotto do you have?
I have a Velbon Ultra-RexiL which packs down to 36cm (14") without head so fits in my hold baggage with no problem, and at 1.3kg (2.8lb) is about the same weight as many carbon fibre tripods. It depnds on if you can live with the twist-lock legs. It extends higher than my 190XProB and at times to me seems to be more stable.

MartinSpence

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback guys

@spidermike it's the 190XPROB.

I'll check out the options below.

MartinSpence

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:52:33 pm »

@spidermike what head do you have for the velbon ultra rexiL?

spidermike

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »

@spidermike what head do you have for the velbon ultra rexiL?

I use the Manfrotto midi head - I think it is the 488RC2 now superceded by the 494RC2. I transfer it between the tripods depensing on which one I am taking.
When going abroad on business the Velbon is what I pack for convenience but for things like macro or when 'versatility' is needed I use the Manfrotto because I not only like the adjustable centre column but also prefer the lever lock mechanism of the Manfrotto, because I can adjust the leg height one-handed (without even taking my eye from the viewfinder) to give a fine adjustment of framing; but when I am travelling, landscape and cityscape are more the order of the day and this is less of an issue so the bulk:mechanics are more in the Velbon's favour.
If straping to a rucksac I prefer the Velbon because its shorter dimensions mean it is less likely to feel like it is swinging about on uneven ground.

MartinSpence

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 03:24:49 am »

@spidermike - great I didn't realise the Manfotto head would fit on the Velbon tripod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up