Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the 17-85 mm IS do?  (Read 3399 times)

DaveLon

Will the 17-85 mm IS do?
« on: January 01, 2006, 02:22:13 pm »

I am going to be doing some Europian city travelling but weight is a big consideration due to my back and the fact that we are only using carry-on luggage so camera gear must be kept down in size and weight.

Using a 20D, will the 17-85 mm IS cover most of what I would want to shoot or is a wider lens needed as well - say the 10-22 mm S lens? I should add that I have walked about cities taking photograpsh (for myself and for others) since the 70s when I would often use 24mm and occasionally 21mm or 20mm lens. When I had both a 28 mm and a 24mm len set with me, I would typpically split the use of the len set about 50:50 but that was then and using slide film where I thought 30 shots or so a day was a lot!

Should I loan a Rebel XT to save more weight.

My back can be a major problem with weights over 4-5 pounds on my shoulder. (Terrible muscle spasm in  spite of specific exercises)

Ideas, help, advice?

Thanks

Dave S

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 02:37:16 pm by DaveLon »

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Will the 17-85 mm IS do?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 03:43:55 pm »

I am going to be doing some Europian city travelling but weight is a big consideration due to my back and the fact that we are only using carry-on luggage so camera gear must be kept down in size and weight.

Using a 20D, will the 17-85 mm IS cover most of what I would want to shoot or is a wider lens needed as well - say the 10-22 mm S lens? I should add that I have walked about cities taking photograpsh (for myself and for others) since the 70s when I would often use 24mm and occasionally 21mm or 20mm lens. When I had both a 28 mm and a 24mm len set with me, I would typpically split the use of the len set about 50:50 but that was then and using slide film where I thought 30 shots or so a day was a lot!

My back can be a major problem with weights over 4-5 pounds on my shoulder. (Terrible muscle spasm inĀ  spite of specific exercises)

Ideas, help, advice?

Thanks

Dave S

I went to the UK in the spring with my 20D and the 17-85 IS. (I also brought a light tripod and a 70-200 f/4L, but not for walk around.) I found the 20D/17-85 combination worked great in the cities. I never wanted for a wider lens. Occasionally, I switched to the tele zoom, but I needed the tripod to do that effectively since it is not IS. If I had to go again (and I probably do) I would take only the 20D and the 17-85. The weight savings using a Rebel XT is quite negligable. That wouldn't make sense to me.

If you are into really exagerated perspective images, you might want to haul along the 10-22, but I don't consider that "walk-around" technique. This lens takes planning to get good compositions - not really effective for "grab" shots typical of street photography.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:44:46 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Will the 17-85 mm IS do?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:07:58 pm »

What Bob said.

I love the 20D/17-85 IS as a lightweight walk-around rig.

It's downside is fairly small maximum aperture, though the 20D's very good high ISO performance usually compensates.

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

DaveLon

Will the 17-85 mm IS do?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:37:01 am »

Thanks.

Helps me think the issue through in a reasonable fashion - and saves me weight!

Dave S

shk

Will the 17-85 mm IS do?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:54:30 pm »

I have overcome my camera strap induced back and shoulder problems as follows:

I use a Rebel XT with 17-85 IS which I carry in a fanny pack designed to carry an slr in situations in which I do not anticipate taking a picture. When things are more promising, I carry the camera using the built-in handgrip, balanced on my finger tips, secured by a wrist strap.  I have been very happy with both the photgraphic results and comfort afforded by this system.

shk

My back can be a major problem with weights over 4-5 pounds on my shoulder. (Terrible muscle spasm in  spite of specific exercises)

Ideas, help, advice?

Thanks

Dave S

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up