Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Door and Windows redux  (Read 3019 times)

John Camp

Door and Windows redux
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:54:14 pm »

In the topic below this one ("How to find prior front page images?") HSway briefly discussed the Door and Windows photo by Kevin Raber. He mentioned he was late to the discussion, as was I. I wish Michael hadn't cut the discussion off (though I understand why he did.) I've been critical of a few of Kevin's photos, and like other ones, and Door and Windows was one that I really liked. Given a variety of theoretical possibilities for the sky, I would have chosen this one -- a blank white shape which gives nice contrast to the complicated texture of the rest of the photo. It would be nice to have conversations on aesthetics which didn't get personal, or insist that there is one correct way to make aesthetic choices. Anyway, I thought this was a very nice photo.

Kevin's photos over a period of time do give rise to a number of aesthetic questions, such as the question of pushing color tones (another aesthetic choice worthy of in-depth discussion) and also his tendency to travel a lot, for photographic purposes: the question there being, exactly what is he doing? I really would like to an answer to that question. When you look at a lot of really fine photographers, you generally find that they become focused on a subject matter or a locale: to pick one photographer that everybody knows, Ansel Adams, his journalistic and portrait photos have never seemed to me to have the power of his western/mountain landscapes. His most famous photos were really done on trips that were within about a two-day drive of his home, and this was in the 40s, when two days didn't get you that far -- and he was intimately familiar with his subject matter. Other famous photographers have a wide variety of subject matter, but it's usually "coherent." Nudes, portraits, abstracts, etc. Kevin, on the other hand, is all over the place with what I sort of think of as a "National Geographic" aesthetic. His photos are of that (high) National Geographic quality, but one is in Antarctica, the next in Mexico, then he's in Alaska, Christmas in Indianapolis, abstract in Chicago...and so on. It's hard to know what to think about them. So, if I might suggest a new Kevin article, how about, "What I'm doing."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Door and Windows redux
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:23:29 pm »

The world is getting smaller. Today, "two days from home" gets you around the world. As for what he is doing, if I may volunteer an answer: having fun! :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:25:15 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:43:47 pm »

As for color, there is a maple tree near home that turns a brilliant orange-red in the autumn.  It appears to have a luminescence of its own, to shine from within.  If I were to drive by and show anyone here that tree in person at the peak of fall color, most people would say I had pushed the slider too far.  Such is this tree.  I am not standing next to Kevin when he trips the trigger on any of the images he posts here and can't testify to what he sees.  But I can defend his images as an outward manifestation of his artistic vision.  Does he open himself up to criticism? Yes.  That goes with the territory.  But personal attacks are not part of criticism and he has suffered some of those.  I don't know Kevin and have never met him, but I generally like his work.  I must admit that he has done a good job of taking a shot at himself (Raberize) and turning it to a positive. There was a guy from the Denver area who posted some beautiful images from areas with which I am familiar.  He took some flak on some of his post processing that I recognized as perfectly natural rendering of what can develop within the conditions of the area.  He doesn't post here anymore.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:22:46 pm »

…Door and Windows was one that I really liked. Given a variety of theoretical possibilities for the sky, I would have chosen this one -- a blank white shape which gives nice contrast to the complicated texture of the rest of the photo.

Yeah, this is my take on the photo too. IMO the sky also does a good job of drawing your eye through the door and then the window. It makes the photo work, kinda like a cluster chord on guitar or piano with a clear high note on top. Without that note the chord can turn to mush, with it the chord is complex but discernable.

(Been playing my archtop a lot lately.  :) )

-Dave-

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:24:08 pm »

Thanks for the comments and support.  I didn't respond on the other thread for a few reasons.  One, I was dealing with a family matter, not to mention doing a lot to prepare for two back to back trips to Antarctica as well as a huge amount of time being spent on the soon to be released Luminous-Landscape V2.  More on that topic later this week.

If it isn't obvious I love photography.  I have studied and learned from some amazing photographers over the years. I am fortunate enough to have traveled many places to take photographs.  I love teaching and sharing and hope that my involvement with Luminous-Landscape enables me to take that passion to a new level.  I have been shooting for 45 plus years.  Photography is the only thing I have done and been involved with in one form or another.  During that time, I had gotten locked into a style or two.  After a while, all my images looked the same.  They were lovely, and people liked them but I found that I was limited and not challenged enough.  So, over the last ten years I have explored a lot of different aspects of image making.  This includes the methods I use to capture an image to the post processing used in making the print.  By constantly challenging myself and being aware of the different methods that one can use with their images I am able to find joy in photography that continually evolves and provides joy and happiness to myself and hopefully others that I share my photography with. 

Since art school, I have had my prints critiqued.  I am used to it and welcome it.  I enjoy doing critiques, but I always do mine with consideration to what the artist may have had in mind.  Michael and I critique each others work all the time.  We learn from each other.  We take away new knowledge and insight. Sometimes he tries something based on what I say and many times I see something a bit differently as a result of what he has shared with me.  These are always friendly with true respect for each other as a fellow artist.

Yes, I am guilty of pushing things a bit, and I enjoy that.  I am also just as guilty of not pushing things.  There are some people who love deeply saturated images.  Others who tone their images with a beautiful monochromatic look.  There are others who enjoy manipulating images using apps on their iPhones and iPads.  Every one of these photographers is deriving a pleasure, joy and fun by doing so.  I appreciate and respect their efforts.  Do I like it all the time?  Sometimes not so much but other times I find it inspiring. 

It was suggested in one of the posts that I write about What I Am Doing, well maybe I'll do that.  Honestly though I am having fun.  I have fun taking images, processing them.  I have fun meeting and shooting with many photographers from around the world at workshops and as friends.  I am having a blast with Luminous-Landscape, Michael, and Chris.  I am trying to take this website to a new level with the goal of delivering great original content and photography, as well as new videos and great workshops.  Michael and I are on the same page, and we both share a passion for this site and in particular the loyal readers. 

Like I said earlier, a lot of my attention has been working on the new site.  I am excited to share more on this soon. I will continue to travel and share images from trips.  And, I will continue to play and push the envelope and challenge myself by venturing outside of my comfort zone.  Sometimes I may not succeed and other times I may, but I am not afraid to try.  I will share these experiences with you.  The new site will allow us to do so differently than we have ever been able to before.   

The bottom line is I am taking pictures, working with cool gear, making a ton of new friends and more than anything else having fun.

Kevin Raber

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Edward Starkie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »

After discovering the way to view prior images I went back over the images posted by Kevin. Some don't work for me but others are images that I wish I had taken, made me wish that I had been there or would be happy to hang on my wall. For such a limited number to have so many that I take pleasure in seeing is, I think, remarkable.

To put it another way, in the recent article about the shoot for National geographic the author tossed off the comment that a project to produce a dozen great images involved taking 25,000 shots. 25,000! By a photographer who does take very good images carefully.

Meanwhile, Kevin is out there experimenting, clearly having fun, making images all the time that we can argue about, and managing to convey a sense of wonder and intensity in documenting his experiences. Most authors are remembered for a very few books, most painters become remembered for a very few paintings. Why should photography be different. If one is fortunate to create even a few images, those dozens out of thousands, that are great, that is a memorable accomplishment.

Thank you Kevin, for showing us what is clearly your passion. Whether each image is perfect isn't the point--you are living the creative life and bringing home-bound types like me the sense of adventure and fun that is possible. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:52 pm »

... I had gotten locked into a style or two.  After a while, all my images looked the same... So, over the last ten years I have explored a lot of different aspects of image making.  This includes the methods I use to capture an image to the post processing used in making the print.  By constantly challenging myself and being aware of the different methods that one can use with their images I am able to find joy in photography that continually evolves and provides joy and happiness to myself and hopefully others that I share my photography with...

... I have fun meeting and shooting with many photographers from around the world at workshops and as friends...

As one of those photographers who had the privilege to shoot with Kevin, allow me a few observations. Turns out, our shooting styles were quite different, at least that early Chicago morning. I was using a DSLR on a tripod, he a mirrorless, hand-held. I was slow, pensive, deliberate, meticulous (or so I wish to think I was, but maybe just slow), almost as if I was shooting with a view camera. For every twist of my ball-head knobs, I swear I could hear a dozen shots already made by Kevin nearby. Consequently, from that spot, I ended up with  just a few shots, and wasn't happy with any of them. I am not trying to say that one approach is superior, just different.

Then Kevin asked me: "How do you challenge yourself?" Hmmm... I don't. I tend to resort to my comfort zone, i.e., doing the same things I am used to (hey, it is comfy there). So, for the rest of the shoot, I did try to do more things, more angles, more variations. And, as Kevin pointed out in the part I quoted above, challenging yourself does not end with the shooting stage, you continue doing so in post processing as well. We were both shooting the wonderful Aqua building, but ended up with vastly different interpretations, most of which happened in post. For instance, for my own interpretation, I was playing with different white balances, and was struck how well a totally inappropriate one (tungsten, for a daylight shot) looked like.

So, yes, having fun, experimenting, challenging yourself, trying new things, all part of that wonderful passion we share, called photography.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:10:39 pm »

One thing I really enjoy about Kevin's photography is that he isn't afraid to push boundaries if he feels like it at the moment. As far as I can see, he makes no effort to place his images in the middle of the average LuLa viewer's comfort zone.

Keep 'em coming, and keep on having fun, Kevin!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Philip Weber

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 01:15:32 am »

A while back, I did a self-published Blurb book called "Departure From The Ordinary" (just as a gift, not for profit) that was very outside of my more typical landscapes and wildlife shots. It was also not the norm for me from a post processing standpoint or subject wise, and in the book, I used the following quotes, which seem somewhat applicable here:

"Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way."
- Edward de Bono

"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
- Bruce Lee

Phil

stamper

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:24:17 am »

I think Kevin's too thick skinned to let his dis tractors stymie his way of photographing. And quite rightly so. At the same time he's intelligent enough to listen to them and see that there are other ways of doing things. Every photographer, after a few years, develops a style they are comfortable with. Learning new ways are difficult but it is a must and if someone wants to progress. I am at a crossroads where I will have to learn something new in order to progress and enjoy what I am doing.  :)

dreed

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 06:36:52 am »

I am having a blast with Luminous-Landscape, Michael, and Chris.  I am trying to take this website to a new level with the goal of delivering great original content and photography, as well as new videos and great workshops.  Michael and I are on the same page, and we both share a passion for this site and in particular the loyal readers. 

Like I said earlier, a lot of my attention has been working on the new site.  I am excited to share more on this soon.

In doing all of these new things, I'd have one simple request and that is to make sure that you get right all of the things that we used to be able to do - such as historic access to Michael's front page images AND single-click through to the front page image without page decoration. The multi-click thing was ... too many choices.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:02 am »

Dreed . . . Done! And it is done well.  teaser . . .  Multiple home page pictures will be available in case you missed one or haven't signed on for a week or so.  Roll over the picture with your mouse and the title and shooting data appear.  Click the enlarge icon and you get a full screen width preview.  Roll your mouse into the preview and you can then pixel peep to your hearts content.  There will be a gallery for Michael and Kevin's 2014 and 2015 home page images.   Plus a lot more.....

Kevin Raber  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:06:19 am by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

michael

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 08:35:40 am »

I can't wait to see mine from 2016.😊

Please publish them soon.

Michael

slowframe

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:55 am »

I can't wait to see mine from 2016.😊

Please publish them soon.

Michael

If they're as good as what you've done in 2017, I think you'll be pleased.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:47 am »

Told you there were new features of the web site you weren't expecting.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 10:16:20 am »

I have always really enjoyed Kevin's posts and his images. It does not matter whether or not I find them pleasing that is a personal thing, I do like a lot of them. I am glad he does post all of them and I really like when he discusses the techniques for what he was trying to do when making that image. I think the criticism here goes over the top a lot of the time. So what if it does not match your ideal, appreciate it for what it is, Kevin's art, his vision, his methods. I enjoy them, I think it would be fun to shoot with Kevin sometime if he gets to southern California.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up