Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central America Mayan Ruins  (Read 928 times)

stever

Central America Mayan Ruins
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »

taking a small group tour mid Feb which will include Lamanai, Cahal Pech, Xunantunich, Tikal, and Copan.  What are your lens recommendations for shooting ruins?  anything in particular to look for at these sites?

Will take 5D3 and new 1-4ii and 1.4x as there will be some bird and wildlife opportunities on the trip.
Will also take GX7 with 12-24 and 35-100 for towns, markets, walk-around.

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
Re: Central America Mayan Ruins
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

Are you guiding or participating in the tour? I would like more info as I am interested in this kind of subject matter.

I have heard from several other photographers that ruins in S.America are considered "open air museums" and as such require special permits for tripod photography. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

I'm going with a Road Scholar group.  this is our second trip arranged by them and our experience has been that they offer good value for money

tripods don't work on group tours (unless it's a photo group) and I don't plan to use a tripod much if at all as there is a fair amount of walking and some climbing involved

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:58:00 pm »

I think I'd want one really wide angle option. Either a zoom, or something like the widest rectilinear prime you can comfortably afford.
Pages: [1]   Go Up