Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5.71 import question  (Read 1806 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Lightroom 5.71 import question
« on: January 16, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »

I thought that the LR catalog would let you know if you are attempting to load an image into the catalog twice.  But apparently not.  

Most times I load images into the catalog from the main folder where I store all the raws for a particular shoot.  But for my night work, I tend to pull the images out, and copy  them to a separate folder, named by the night of shoot.  I did a shoot on 08/13/14 and copied the raw files involved for the first series I wanted to work up, to a new folder.  I imported all the raw files from this folder to the LR catalog, and worked them up.  Processed out the images and moved on to another project.

Today, I was going over older night shoots, and was wondering if I had worked up this series, to check, I attempted to load the raws into the LR catalog.  I did not see any of the images darkened out, which tells me that they are already in the catalog, so I imported them.  However this time I was in the main raw folder for that entire night, which had 4 hours or so of total shooting.  LR loaded the images again, with the same name, which surprised me as this is creating duplicates.  The images have the same names, basic Nikon raw file naming.  Just are in the catalog 2x.  I have attached 2 screen shots.  The first one shows the image with the adjustments I had made back in August, the 2nd one shows the image newly loaded into the catalog.

My question, is this correct for LR?  Will it just load duplicates into the catalog?  The image is DSC0193.NEF and shows loaded as catalog number 1145 as the first entry and 2330 as the 2nd duplicated entry.

Win7 64 bit LR 5.71

Thanks
Paul

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:59:51 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Lightroom 5.71 import question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:17:13 pm »

Did you have a checkmark on don't import suspected dupplicates in the import window?

It's difficult to see from you screen shot if they are dupplicates or not. Pushing the J key you can get the thumbnails to show exif info.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »

Hans,

Thanks, I did not have that checked.  They were duplicates.  The reason the 1st one looks different is that I had worked the file and it shows the adjustments, whereas the 2nd import is the straight raw file.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:29:57 pm »

I was going to open a new topic, but I thought to maybe add to this as it is about the importing....(and you got the right feedback for your Q:-)

I have a set of images in a folder on a NAS that has 337 images in it. LR already has the same folder but with 7 images inside it.

I tried Sync on the folder and it sees the 337  I have it marked to Import new photos...I do it, and looks like it going to import them, but ends up saying that there are no photos to import.
Nothing new gets added. Anyone have this happen to them?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:31:34 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »

I tried even removing that folder to see if I can Import it back in. In the Import window it looks like it wants to place it at the root . I think I can just remake it and get around it. Its 337 pix. Luckily not a huge amount.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »

Hans,

Thanks, I did not have that checked.  They were duplicates.  The reason the 1st one looks different is that I had worked the file and it shows the adjustments, whereas the 2nd import is the straight raw file.

Paul

Hi,

If I understand correctly by the following quoted statement, those duplicates were in a different folder or "path":

I tend to pull the images out, and copy  them to a separate folder

The way Ligthroom works is:

Duplicate: Full path + file name coincidence
Suspect duplicate: file name coincidence

So, in your case, the images will be imported because the path was  different and the option "don't import suspected duplicates" was not checked 

Pages: [1]   Go Up