Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supporting a Leica 90mm lens on Sony A7  (Read 1866 times)

Herbc

Supporting a Leica 90mm lens on Sony A7
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:08:06 pm »

Is there a ring clamp available to support a Leica 90mm on a tripod and let the small A7 hang off the lens?
The lenses don't have a foot on them.  Seems like a pretty heavy lens to subject the camera mount to.

AlterEgo

Re: Supporting a Leica 90mm lens on Sony A7
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:22:38 pm »

local member, mr. Kasson, uses the following (at least in his tests)

or

but is 90/2 really that big & heavy ?

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:37 pm »

Holy Cow!  Not exactly what I had in mind.  I have a D800E if I need to get industrial, was trying to go small.  Thanks for the reply.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »

Which 90mm are you referring to? I can tell you my little f/2.8 4-element Tele-Elmarit weighs less than an A7.  :)  One of the older Summicrons? Still not that heavy. The latest M APO: ~475g. I've had my A7r attached to a tripod with a Zeiss 200/3.5—a hefty lens for its focal length & speed—mounted. No problem with the lens mount handling the weight, though I wouldn't do this with anything physically longer. The main issue would be with longer lenses where much of the mass is located towards the front elements…I've found that's what can torque a lens mount.

-Dave-

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »

Holy Cow!  Not exactly what I had in mind.  I have a D800E if I need to get industrial, was trying to go small.  Thanks for the reply.
that novoflex one (the 2nd, last image) is not that big

telyt

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »

I'd consider the Novoflex adapter with the Novoflex tripod ring made for the adapter.  OTOH mounting the camera to the tripod instead might reduce the chances of vibration during exposure.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:02 am »

Hi,

I would agree on both. The A7 has electronic first shutter curtain, using that would eliminate shutter shock. The shutter shock problem only applies to A7r which lacks EFSC. So with an A7 (and not A7r) I would opt for mounting lens foot on tripod, in order to relieve the bayonet of the weight.

Best regards
Erik

I'd consider the Novoflex adapter with the Novoflex tripod ring made for the adapter.  OTOH mounting the camera to the tripod instead might reduce the chances of vibration during exposure.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up