Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I would like to propose a sticky topic  (Read 1188 times)

Colorado David

I would like to propose a sticky topic
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:28 am »

There is so much good information on locations, such as the Utah/Canyons/Arches topic that is currently being discussed, that I would propose a sticky topic.  It would be nice to be able to go to the top of the Landscape Photography Locations forum and be able to quickly find location experiences.  It might need to be a curated topic for the sake of brevity.  What do you think?

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: I would like to propose a sticky topic
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:14 pm »

Well, that certainly is a sticky topic. If the locations are "hot spots" that most know about even if they haven't been there, sharing of experiences and things one can do to avoid problems could be useful. Advice about what to expect and be prepared for in certain general areas (weather, terrain, insects, etc.) could also be useful. Paramount would be things people may not otherwise think about, like getting stranded by high tides.

OTOH, creating more "hot spots" where experiences are be spoiled by overcrowding isn't something I'd want even if I could use it for my own benefit. There's some real benefit in the adventure and discovery to be had wandering around and finding a great spot, as opposed to just finding it on the internet, setting a GPS, and going there. Everyone wants to get good photographs, but too many set out only to collect trophy shots without really experiencing the place. A real connection to a place certainly makes better experiences, and I think that allows better photos to happen. There's more to all of this than going to the "right" place, pointing a camera at a certain thing, and getting the ten millionth great shot of it.

Information on lodging, restaurants, and other facilities of note in towns near scenic places and Nat'l Parks could be very useful to many and doesn't compromise anything. Sitting down to a bad meal at rip-off prices followed by staying in a bed bug infested motel that costs a fortune doesn't enhance anyone's experience.

Good luck!
- Dean

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:09:49 am »

I really like the idea. One question I have is that when the topic reaches 10 pages, how do you find the information on a specific location because this is certainly an issue elsewhere; and if people cannot easily access the information it becomes just another thread. Would the thread be limited to Utah/Canyon/arches? Or USA/North America? Wider?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:33:47 am »

LuLa will launch a whole new site by mid-February.  More news on this next week.  After the site is launched we will be considering a few topics for the forum.   If you are interested now in looking for something in the past the forum search at the top of the page does really good.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up