Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing via Capture One Pro 8 vs Lightroom  (Read 4146 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Printing via Capture One Pro 8 vs Lightroom
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:12 pm »

I'm considering moving my work from Lightroom to Capture One Pro 8. Anything I should be aware of with printing from C1 that's different, better or worse than printing from LR? Are all the print functions available in LR available in C1?
Mike Guilbault

canto

Re: Printing via Capture One Pro 8 vs Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:07 am »

To my knowledge, having done the same as you, I find C1 superior in ergonomics and functionality for the processing work, especially with treatment of RAW files and colours (using it coupled with CC14 and Nik Collection).
However, I find the editing/publishing functions in LR more complete and convenient (creating a diaporama, printing several images on the same roll/sheet, etc.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:14 pm »

I would agree with this. But I have to say, unless you work with C1 very regularly, and I don't as much, it is easy to get stuck and rethink the application you're using , as it is very different than the standards in OS, and other applications you might be used to. I know specific things that I do regularly, it is certainly not experimental friendly, at least to me. Where LR, you can understand the functions and visually universal tools. Even exporting files gets clunky in C1. They work solid, but it just feels like a different animal until you get used to the things you end up needing most.  Anyway, the files out of it are my preferred with MF images, and files I need to nail right on.

I wouldn't know where to begin printing using C1...? I keep all the databases in LR, and use C1 as a Session , capture Develop software, and not worry about the rest.
It actually may offer something I haven't considered. Between LR and Qimage, I doubt it.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:48 pm »

so... Phil... you use both LR and C1.... LR as the database to 'hold' all your images, and C1 just for the processing, is that correct?  If you process an image in C1, does LR 'see' the finished image or does it try to convert it to it's own?   
Mike Guilbault

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:08:47 am »

Yes, that is correct. I use both.

Keep in mind(it took me a bit to grasp it muself), LR doesn't store the actual files. It creates previews/thumbnails you can call it of the file with a marker of where your actual file is stored.

For example, if you have your photographs stored on an external drive, and that at one point before "imported" those images(meaning LR made a copy of the images and marked the location where the photographs sit).... If you started your computer without the external drive, LR would still have a preview of the image in a folder you browsing to.  Once you try and Develop that thumbnail, it will not pull up the image, as it isn't available without your external drive. The actual file is on the drive. If you knew this...great, but the way you asked, I thought it might help clarify.

So...
I *sometimes shoot via C1, or edit via C1. When I process it, and have it go to a specific Output folder, I then need to organize the files. So LR is up, and via Import, I browse to the folder I just output to, and I see the images in the folder. I can select all and Import them(make a preview copy) to my main database.  So when I do the Output from C1 I select TIF, and LR will not alter it one bit. LR is a COMPLETE nondestructive workflow. (I wish you could have the option to finalize specific the Spot Removals, but that's another story).  So it will NOT convert it to its own anything (There is no LR format), as LR doesn't covert anything (Maybe DNG and what it can export).  So once that "cooked" C1 file is in LR, you can actually further develop on the file or just use LR to launch to go to Nik, or PShop, etc, etc. *Reason I use C1 is the raw editing. It has finer control and the results I get are better to me.

LR is really a control gate to your images, with the developing addition that can at anytime be reset....among many other things like printing features, and Exporting file types, and then there is the collection and organizing which I have got into more so lately, but, very powerful stuff there.

For me LR has gotten to the threshold of its speed. The sliders are not so accurate, the lags I experience sometimes are not usually horrible, but on the verge of....So I like working in C1 Sessions as the workload of ONLY developing is fast, and responsive. The larger the LR database grows the more you see the application fall apart of trying to do 2 majorly different things under one roof.

Another huge advantage of C1 is the full control of dual screen. LR locks you in to working in a specific way and you're treated like some kid who doesn't know how to take training wheels off, and C1 doesn't lock you down. You can move tool panels around and customize your workflow and process.

Having said all the negative stuff about LR is a bit rough, as it is a GREAT application and if you keep your database under 175K images(I split mine up) Its smoother..still the hard to control and jumpy increment sliders I really hope they improve, but you work around them with the direct # input or the little arrows that come up(they are little help as they are placed above the direct # input and you have to be precise as a surgeon to make the right adjustment. (*It would be cool if a "wheel" would pop up to show a scale of incremental adjustment that is super fine tuned.)

Anyway, hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:21:09 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:28:08 am »

I work similar to Phil, but I first ingest all the images into LR for initial editing. Then I go to C1 to develop specific images. After I'm done developing I export the tiff back into LR with a modified name.

So I still print from LR. The obvious disadvantage with using both like Phil and I do is the baked tiff. But since I keep the raw files I can always go back into C1 sometime down the road if the development software improves.

Dave

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:52 am »

I work in pretty much the same process, as if I start in image in C1, I still print from LR.  LR's print engine is IMO much more robust and has a lot more options. 

It seems that most of the previous posters are using C1 in session mode, as I am.  If you were in catalog mode, then the same issues happen as do in LR. 

In LR, after I print the image, I export the printed image as a "printed" final and move that to a special folder.  I will then import that image and keep it as the printed final.  It gets a bit confusing as you can "tweak" an image in LR before you print it, i.e. shadows, colors, hue, etc. I like to do this with the image in the printed finals folder, not in a work folder.  Thus LR keeps all the history to that image current, as long as I keep the image in the same folder on my hard drive. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

canto

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 09:12:40 am »

The main benefit of C1 is RAW treatment engine, which gives you (at least compared with LR4, I did not compare yet with my LR5) a more detailed image with better micro-contrast.
Raw Developer is the only RAW engine even superior to C1, but it's very clunky.
That said the new C1 (8.1) has a featue that allows to print from Photoshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up