Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4800 Printing Issue, LC & LK bands  (Read 1030 times)

John Sluder

• John Sluder Photography
Epson 4800 Printing Issue, LC & LK bands
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »

Great and all knowing member of LL I come seeking knowledge...

I have an Epson 4800 and it was sitting for a while and I got up and working. It was VERY clogged but with time I was able to get it printing. Now when I print I what I believe are the LC & LK bands across the entire page. See attach image

I have tried numerous cleaning and self cleaning and even the maintenance mode ultra sonic cleaning...

I have tried the Windex soaked paper towel under the print head

The LC & LK are after market inks, the others are Epson. I just swap out the LK for an Epson cartridge and gong to see what that does.

I assume the that a print head port is clogged in the open position on those two colors?

Thoughts or suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:47:02 pm by John Sluder »

Farmer

Re: Epson 4800 Printing Issue, LC & LK bands
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:56 pm »

You can't "clog" a port open - it doesn't work like that.

You have 180 nozzles per colour channel on that printer.  This looks like an electrical or electronic fault (probably electronic, but it could be an FFC cable).  I'd lean toward it being the head, but a tech would be needed to asses the unit the determine what is actually wrong.  It could be as simple as a cable or a cable connector up to a failed print head.
Phil Brown

John Sluder

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:02:23 am »

Thanks for the note. A better description is "stuck open".

Suggestions for trouble shooting the cable/head?

I can try to reseat the cable between the print head and printer.

You can't "clog" a port open - it doesn't work like that.

You have 180 nozzles per colour channel on that printer.  This looks like an electrical or electronic fault (probably electronic, but it could be an FFC cable).  I'd lean toward it being the head, but a tech would be needed to asses the unit the determine what is actually wrong.  It could be as simple as a cable or a cable connector up to a failed print head.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »

If you're experienced in such things, then checking the cable for obvious creasing or breaks, and reseating it may help.  If you're not experienced, you risk doing more damage by causing a short.

Either way, there's no way for a nozzle to become "stuck open".  The peizo acts as a pump, not a valve, and if it's not active it won't allow ink to flow.  Hence it's either electrical or electronic causing the head to continuously fire.
Phil Brown

John Sluder

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:53 pm »

Thanks for the info, I have a good tech back ground was looking for the pointers to avoid common "issues" when getting into the guts for the printer
Pages: [1]   Go Up