Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13" roll paper  (Read 1160 times)

LouisF.

13" roll paper
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:26 pm »

Hello, All (first post!)

I am looking for 13-inch wide roll paper, glossy or luster, to print some long and narrow landscapes on my 4880 printer.
I normally use Epson Exhibition Fiber for my "quality" work, including 17-inch rolls, and Red River Ultra Pro Satin (at least up to version 3) for less demanding work. However, neither of these is available in 13-inch rolls.

I am considering two other papers that are sold in 13-inch rolls: EPSON Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster and EPSON Premium Photo Paper Glossy. Although Epson's price is much higher for the first, Atlex sells both for about the same price, so price is not an issue.

Would there be any reason to prefer one to the other?
Are there any other paper I might consider?

Thank you for your help.

howardm

Re: 13" roll paper
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:05:51 pm »

not a lot of choices in 13" roll.  do you want glossy or lustre?  maybe lustre would show fewer fingerprints during rolling/unrolling.

LouisF.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:21 pm »

Yes, luster would have this advantage. This may be a consideration.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:21:18 pm »

Some might say that the Luster surface is more suitable for serious art than glossy.  But not me.  Consider that all known photographs selling above $4,200,000 are as glossy as one could ever hope for.

What is certain, however, is that glossy is much harder to mount for framing than luster, because of a tendency for the drymount tissue or glue or adhesive to print through as a ripply eggshell texture on the surface.  Glossy surfaces are kind of like optical flats that betray the tiniest variations in surface flatness.  Luster is much more forgiving in that respect.  It's what I used to use.  There are as well considerable differences in how the two surfaces react to eye level light sources.  The reflections from Luster are more diffuse and cover a wide area, the reflections from gloss tend to mirror an image of the lightsource, but obscure less of the image.  It's a judgement call.

Before using either of those RC papers, you should search "out gas" or maybe "outgas" on these forums.  If you immediately mount a freshly made RC print in a frame, it will surely haze the glass or plex cover as it exudes slow moving solvents.  An absolute minimum of 3 days drying time is required before entombing those media in a closed frame, and that's only if the humidity is reasonably low.  They are also a pita in production, easily developing irreparable kinks in their super-thin 10 mil substrates and with very delicate emulsions.  After dealing with RC papers for a few days, old fashioned rag based media will look like a paragon of virtue.

I'm no expert on 13" rolls, but there used to be a couple suppliers that specialized in slicing down larger rolls of the more exotic media.  I think they're gone, but you might google around a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up