Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo tour Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley with Dad  (Read 45605 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Photo tour Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley with Dad
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:23:59 am »

I am taking my 89 year old father on a birthday photo tour. Planning on staying in Moab UT for a few nights, then returning to Phoenix, stopping along the way at Monument Valley. I am looking for suggestions on sites to hit at sunrise and sunset, perhaps some full-moon shooting at MV. We might do some mid-day shooting, but Dad needs his nap ;) He is in great shape for his age, but not for strenuous hiking into places; relatively flat walks are fine as long as the terrain is not too uneven. I will have a 4x4 pickup for transport so unpaved roads if not too rough are easily feasible. Posts here are great or you can PM me. THANKS!

Peter McLennan

Re: Photo tour Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley with Dad
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

Have you been to those areas before?

Others will chime in here, but Dead Horse Point remains one of my favourite locations on the planet.  Effortless access, too. Wheelchairs, even.

sierraman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:17:10 pm »

Have you been to those areas before?

Others will chime in here, but Dead Horse Point remains one of my favourite locations on the planet.  Effortless access, too. Wheelchairs, even.
I agree Dead horse Point is a great place for sunrise photo op's. If you like fighting sunrise crowds Mesa Arch (Canyonlands) is a popular spot and worth the effort at some point. Lots of photo op's in Arches N.P. and the drive to the Castle Valley area is a great way to spend a couple of hours. Green River Overlook (Canyonlands) is a fine spot for sunrise/sunset shots.  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:13:05 pm by sierraman »

nma

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:46:10 pm »

I agree Dead horse Point is a great place for sunrise photo op's. If you like fighting sunrise crowds Mesa Arch (Canyonlands) is a popular spot and worth the effort at some point. Lots of photo op's in Arches N.P. and the drive to the Castle Valley area is a great way to spend a couple of hours. Green River Overlook (Canyonlands) is a fine spot for sunrise/sunset shots.  :)

Mesa Arch is reached on foot over distance of less than 1/2 mile. The path is paved part of the way and rises for perhaps an eigth of a mile and then drops. The last 1/8 th mile continues dropping, unpaved over moderate rocky terrain. Perhaps your father could do this in daylight but I would not suggest taking him there before sunrise. It is a great spot but I consider it unsuitable for your father, way too risky in the dark.

sierraman

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »

Mesa Arch is reached on foot over distance of less than 1/2 mile. The path is paved part of the way and rises for perhaps an eigth of a mile and then drops. The last 1/8 th mile continues dropping, unpaved over moderate rocky terrain. Perhaps your father could do this in daylight but I would not suggest taking him there before sunrise. It is a great spot but I consider it unsuitable for your father, way too risky in the dark.

Sure, the hike to Mesa Arch might not be easy for an elderly person, but there is a reason it's such a popular spot to photograph. The morning light illuminating the arch is just beautiful. I think if someone is going to be in the area (Canyonlands), the sunrise at Mesa Arch is something to see. So, if dad wants to sleep-in one morning, join the crowd at Mesa Arch.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:34:20 am »

You also have to consider how far this location is from medical services. It's a good 45 mins one way from Moab, not to mention limited cellular service in the area. A fall or twisted ankle could require a long wait for assistance. (I'm sure the NPS and/or the Utah State park folks just across the mesa at Dead Horse Point would be the first responders to an accident in this location.

Sure, the hike to Mesa Arch might not be easy for an elderly person, but there is a reason it's such a popular spot to photograph. The morning light illuminating the arch is just beautiful. I think if someone is going to be in the area (Canyonlands), the sunrise at Mesa Arch is something to see. So, if dad wants to sleep-in one morning, join the crowd at Mesa Arch.

You also have to factor in the Junk Show that is Sunrise at Mesa Arch. I'm not sure that any photograph is worth the rudeness and professionalism that can go on there at any given sunrise.

Here's a hint. There are some really nice vistas in the same area that require just a little bit more work to get to. I would contact one of the major photo guide companies in the area and inquire about one of their sunrise guided tours and what your limitations are. They very well might suggest Dead Horse Point, and I think that makes an excellent choice. But just know there are other less photographed and equally spectacular options in the neighborhood.  Best suggestions for photography given your mobility limitations are one of the main vistas like Grandview point or Green River Overlook. There's alot of information online and in books about both of these locations.

Now, with regards to Arches, there are a couple of sunrise options. Usually, I tell first time visitors to hit up the Windows Section for sunrise, but given your fathers age, I'm not 100% sure that's the right advice. While listed as easy in the park guides, trail is likely more difficult than the trail to mesa arch as it has has more elevation gain/loss than the mesa arch trail. They are within a few hundred feet of being the same length.  The easiest trail, but the longest is devils garden to landscape arch, it's mostly flat, and very well maintained. But it would be close to a 1 mile in length.

Sunset in arches is easy and likely your best bet. Balanced rock should be at the top of your hit list. Again given your limitations it provides the best mix of scenic value and ease of access.

For midday photography, there are many rock art sites along the Colorado River off Utah 279. Go to the visitors center down town and they have pamphlets with the locations listed.

For MV, if you're going to do it, book a room in the lodge (expensive as it might be) and take advantage of the after dark access.

Well, this should get you started. Have fun, stay safe and post your pics when you return.

Edit: I agree with the sentiment on Dead Horse Point. Very easy access and beautiful vistas.

L
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:40:06 am by Lonnie Utah »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:43:20 pm »

You also have to factor in the Junk Show that is Sunrise at Mesa Arch. I'm not sure that any photograph is worth the rudeness and professionalism that can go on there at any given sunrise.

I used to photograph sunrise at Mesa Arch once in a while between the early 1980s and early 1990s. I'd usually be there alone or with a couple others at most. I have been back since and I'd never think of going again. It's about the most frustrating and annoying photographic experience you can have anywhere. On top of that, the only photos to be had during the best moments are are the ones allowed by your position in the crowd.

I don't mean to pick on Mesa Arch. There are plenty of other photo "hot spots" where the circumstances are similar. When I mention going to any of these my wife always asks "Why would you endure that to get a photo half the photographers on the planet already have?".

Just my opinion...
- Dean

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »

I used to photograph sunrise at Mesa Arch once in a while between the early 1980s and early 1990s. I'd usually be there alone or with a couple others at most. I have been back since and I'd never think of going again. It's about the most frustrating and annoying photographic experience you can have anywhere. On top of that, the only photos to be had during the best moments are are the ones allowed by your position in the crowd.

I don't mean to pick on Mesa Arch. There are plenty of other photo "hot spots" where the circumstances are similar. When I mention going to any of these my wife always asks "Why would you endure that to get a photo half the photographers on the planet already have?".

Just my opinion...

Dean, we have similar opinions.

Maybe if I didn't live so close, and weren't so jaded by all there is to photograph in this state, I'd have another opinion.  But the more I explore, the more I find there are equally cool places to visit and see....

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 01:57:53 pm »

You are getting lots of great advice for photo locations. On a different note:

- Zax Pizza in Moab, among the best pizza I have ever had. Who would have thunk, great pizza in Utah?
- Also in Moab, Edge Gallery. Wonderful photos of the area.

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »

You also have to consider how far this location is from medical services. It's a good 45 mins one way from Moab, not to mention limited cellular service in the area. A fall or twisted ankle could require a long wait for assistance. (I'm sure the NPS and/or the Utah State park folks just across the mesa at Dead Horse Point would be the first responders to an accident in this location.

Here's a hint. There are some really nice vistas in the same area that require just a little bit more work to get to. I would contact one of the major photo guide companies in the area and inquire about one of their sunrise guided tours and what your limitations are. They very well might suggest Dead Horse Point, and I think that makes an excellent choice. But just know there are other less photographed and equally spectacular options in the neighborhood.  Best suggestions for photography given your mobility limitations are one of the main vistas like Grandview point or Green River Overlook. There's alot of information online and in books about both of these locations.

Now, with regards to Arches, there are a couple of sunrise options. Usually, I tell first time visitors to hit up the Windows Section for sunrise, but given your fathers age, I'm not 100% sure that's the right advice. While listed as easy in the park guides, trail is likely more difficult than the trail to mesa arch as it has has more elevation gain/loss than the mesa arch trail. They are within a few hundred feet of being the same length.  The easiest trail, but the longest is devils garden to landscape arch, it's mostly flat, and very well maintained. But it would be close to a 1 mile in length.

Sunset in arches is easy and likely your best bet. Balanced rock should be at the top of your hit list. Again given your limitations it provides the best mix of scenic value and ease of access.

For midday photography, there are many rock art sites along the Colorado River off Utah 279. Go to the visitors center down town and they have pamphlets with the locations listed.

For MV, if you're going to do it, book a room in the lodge (expensive as it might be) and take advantage of the after dark access.

Well, this should get you started. Have fun, stay safe and post your pics when you return.

Edit: I agree with the sentiment on Dead Horse Point. Very easy access and beautiful vistas.

L

One thing to consider - Although you won't get the "sunburst" just under the arch, the lovely underside glow to the arch is present well after sunrise and the view beyond is still spectacular.  Also, by an hour or two after sunrise the crowd thins out quite a bit.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:06:49 pm »

David,

What time of the year are you planning this trip?

If, by chance, you are are going to Moab during the autumn season, consider a side trip to the La Sal Mountains.

The fall color opportunities are a nice change of pace from all the red rock.  Park the car safely on the side of the road, and walk along the road.

No specific locations, my experience has been drive up the road until you spot interesting compositions.

I'm also doing a bit of travel with an elder parent (my mother, in my case) to places like Yosemite and the eastern Sierra, so I understand your your concerns.

Paul

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 03:44:48 am »

I'm not sure how much sense that last sentence actually makes, but insofar as it suggests an ill-behaved scrum, it couldn't be further from my experience there last March. When I arrived, about half an hour before sunrise, there were five or six people there. Some said nothing; others were overtly friendly. Certainly, by sunburst time another 30 or so had turned up; but there was no pushing, no shoving, no intrusion, no poor behaviour at all. The worst thing that happened was some ass standing on top of the arch: lacking an AK-47, I removed him with Photoshop. I'm very fond indeed of the shots I took that morning and I'm hugely glad I saw what I was able to see.

Jeremy

sierraman

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:17:54 am »

- Zax Pizza in Moab, among the best pizza I have ever had. Who would have thunk, great pizza in Utah?
More food ideas. Moab Brewery's Beer-Cheese Soup and JalapeƱo Corn Bread!  ;)
Also, if you have a 4x4 try Marlboro Point between Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands.

SeanBK

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »

On way from Moab to M.Valley east side of highway is Mexican Hat. Your Dad can almost stay beside the car & enjoy the vista. The surrounding mountains in background has great geological layering that make great images & visual artistry of Mother Earth. U need to stay in the monument valley. Before entering the valley from north U'll find the famous spot where Forrest Gump stopped running & decided to go home, :).
  U can drive @ 3hrs to Page > Horseshoe bend, Lake Powell & Antelope Canyon (upper), before heading back to Phoenix. Just my 2c.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 10:59:47 am »

Thanks for the suggestions and tips everyone! We are going the first few days of February so I (and my dad) am(are) getting excited.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 05:15:04 pm »

Thanks for recommending a visit to my gallery, Peter! Unfortunately, we're closed until mid-March.  There just isn't enough traffic in the winter to justify keeping the doors open.

Locations to visit that offer easy access:

Dead Horse Point is a must. Absolutely. Easy access and, in my opinion, the most spectacular view in the entire Moab area.
Green River Overlook in Canyonlands. My second favorite view in Moab. Catch it on a stormy day and it will take your breath away.
Grandview Point in Canyonlands. Another gorgeous and seemingly infinite view.
The Windows area in Arches.  A very short walk on a good trail takes you to views of three lovely arches.
Fiery Furnace viewpoint.  Short walk on good trail provides views of Fiery Furnace fins, Castle Valley and the La Sal Mountains.
Castle Valley. Many great compositions quite literally from the roadside.
Fisher Towers. Massive sandstone towers that are easily photographed from roadside.

I do not recommend Mesa Arch.  It is a short trail, but it's rocky  and there are a couple of spots where you walk over sloped slickrock and there's always a layer of sand on top that makes it slippery.  If there is ice on it, it's treacherous.  I also don't recommend Marlboro Point as it's in the middle of nowhere, requires a rugged 4x4 to reach and most importantly, there is no trail to the best views.  It's an amazing place but probably not suited for someone your Dad's age.

You might also be interested in my ebook, "The Essential Guide to Photographing Arches NP".

Hope this helps.  Send me an email if you have other questions.  I live in Moab year-round and lead private/group photo workshops here so I've got lots of experience customizing tours for people of all abilities.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:28:43 pm by bretedge »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »

About two thirds of the way south towards Monticello from Moab, UT 211 heads west, down off the flatlands and deep into Canyonlands National Park and the Needles district.  You don't even need to get out of the vehicle to experience the landscape from "inside".  This would be an excellent drive to do after Dead Horse Point.  At the end of the road is the Needles District visitor's center with facilities.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 02:37:26 pm »

I'm not sure how much sense that last sentence actually makes, but insofar as it suggests an ill-behaved scrum, it couldn't be further from my experience there last March. When I arrived, about half an hour before sunrise, there were five or six people there. Some said nothing; others were overtly friendly. Certainly, by sunburst time another 30 or so had turned up; but there was no pushing, no shoving, no intrusion, no poor behaviour at all. The worst thing that happened was some ass standing on top of the arch: lacking an AK-47, I removed him with Photoshop. I'm very fond indeed of the shots I took that morning and I'm hugely glad I saw what I was able to see.

Jeremy

It doesn't happen everyday, and I'm glad you had a good experience, but with google you can find some pretty disturbing "incidents" with the activities I was alluding to. For me, it's not worth the hassle. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.ianplant.com/blog/2014/03/19/landscape-photography-etiquette/#sthash.lfRkGiKc.dpbs

http://www.natureandphotography.com/?p=1757

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:50:29 pm by Lonnie Utah »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »

It doesn't happen everyday, and I'm glad you had a good experience, but with google you can find some pretty disturbing "incidents" with the activities I was alluding to. For me, it's not worth the hassle. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I wasn't doubting your experience, Lonnie: I'm sure there are ill-behaved people there at some times. Maybe I was just lucky.

Jeremy

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:15 am »

I wasn't doubting your experience, Lonnie: I'm sure there are ill-behaved people there at some times. Maybe I was just lucky.

Oh your response wasn't taken that way at all. My initial reply and response was more about setting the expectation for those that might not be familiar with the spot and the sorts of behavior that can go on there.  Hopefully, that WON'T be what people experience, but I want people going into it to understand it's a possibility, so they can mentally prepare in case the "jerks" show up.  ;D

Cheers!
L
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:30:17 am by Lonnie Utah »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up