Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proofing Paper  (Read 1538 times)

disneytoy

Proofing Paper
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:05:53 am »

What exactly is Proofing Paper? I was looking for a paper that matched book paper. Like a coffee table book that is coated 2 sides. Can't find any. The double sided paper is a bit to photo lab.

It seems Proofing paper, if it comes double sided may be useful?

Max

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Proofing Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:53:02 am »

In theory proofing papers have an ISO standard quality control in production and meet ISO media descriptions. Paper white is aimed at the media whites used in different printing technologies so simulations of the other printing technologies are closer in appearance. RIPs used in proof printing (EFI and more) build on that standard with improved calibration methods, dedicated media presets and special profiling. Approved by for example Fogra. Most proofing papers are RC based, they usually have less OBA content than the normal RC papers. Some third party distributors are delivering a normal RC paper, even with high OBA content, as a proofing paper. If I recall it correctly there is some discussion among authorities in the field that the OBA content of proofing papers should be more correlated with the OBA content of the media used in for example offset, gravure, flexo printing.

Dual side coated inkjet proofing papers are not that common. The proof is usually made for color control only. If imposition and register is tested the proof is done on normal dual sided papers or more often the stock used on the press itself. The same for dummies. For example I know the nearby newspaper printer uses leftover roll media from the newspaper press rather than the special inkjet proofing newspaper that exists too.

There are spectral plots of offset papers, inkjet proofing papers and inkjet dual sided papers in SpectrumViz so their media whites can be compared on both Lab numbers and the spectral plots. Texture is a different question but most offset papers are in the smooth category.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:28:07 am »

Just to add, or likely side note as Ernst is rather thorough, and my info may apply or not, but...
There are proofing papers and there are also contract proofing papers that are ISO controlled and meet the SWOP/Fogra Offset press requirements.
This is used to mimic a press.

As far as double sided photo paper, I know InkPress has a few different options.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:20:16 am »

I find it hard to believe that the RC papers (gloss and satin) shown in the attached spectral plot are contract quality proofing papers given the high OBA content, Lab b -11. Simple Mitsubishi RC paper clones with a new label in my opinion. Introduced some years ago when proofing standards for OBA content papers were not yet properly described and the equipment to work with limited.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 12:27:51 pm »

Any contract proofing paper I used has a slight dull clay like coating. I have used some RIP brands as well, but mainly for the past 5 years HP contract proofing. And who knows how long they stay stable. I have had Vivera Dye inks(70year) change in a matter of days. So that might be something to foactor in for your needs...the life of the print.

Pic One

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:30 am »

I find it hard to believe that the RC papers (gloss and satin) shown in the attached spectral plot are contract quality proofing papers given the high OBA content, Lab b -11. Simple Mitsubishi RC paper clones with a new label in my opinion. Introduced some years ago when proofing standards for OBA content papers were not yet properly described and the equipment to work with limited.

I'm not sure how there could be a standard definition of a "proofing" paper, or how one could say it should or shouldn't contain OBAs (or amount of OBAs)?  Printing media varies, same way that inkjet printing paper does.   There's a range from #5 grade groundwood publishing papers with brightness values in low 70s, to #4.5s in the upper 70s, to 4s, 3, 2s and 1s where you get into the high 90s. 

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:23 am »

the standard is not in the paper, but the combo of inks and paper with printer used to meet the industry standard of contract proofing for example Fogra, or SWOP.

There maybe double sided proofing paper, but what you can do is tell the printer profile properties to include paper color. This you can do in RIP software to mimic a specific paper type like newprint, magazine paper weight etc.

Without a RIP, you can also just use a quality paper and set a background color to the tone you like that works on your the paper, and print that way. This may take some work if you have a lot of pages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up