Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please: How to remove a ring from Copal #0 shutter?  (Read 1425 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Help please: How to remove a ring from Copal #0 shutter?
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »

I have a Skink pinhole holder which is designed to screw into a Copal #0 shutter. I have one of those shutters but there is a black ring on the front of the shutter and inside the ring engraved with the shutter speeds which I need to remove first. Please see the attached photo to see the ring.

The ring turns freely but does not appear to be threaded. I have tried to lever it off but moderate force had no effect.

Does anyone know how to remove the ring? Would undoing the screw shown in the photo help?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Some Guy

Re: Help please: How to remove a ring from Copal #0 shutter?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:02 pm »

I believe you are right that you need to remove that screw at the 11 o'clock position and then unscrew that chrome ring.  Actually, you may need to only unscrew it half a turn to the point where the notched side clears that scalloped ring to unscrew and remove it.  It does not pry off else you risk cross-threading the thing.

However, once it comes off and you take off that black ring, I think the shutter speed ring is now also loose as that ring you want to take off is also the retaining ring for the shutter speed dial or ring if it rotates beneath it.  I think the idea of that scalloped ring is to apply pressure on that speed dial too and why it has all those notches, i.e. screwing it on tighter makes the speed dial harder to rotate as it presses down on that black ring you want to remove.  It might not work without that ring you want to take off either.  I want to say the speed ring itself has a cam machined within it that also governs the escapements that control the speed under it too.  Been a while since I had one apart.

There is a video on Youtube on the dismantling, albeit high-speed that might show what you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_eIu-eUVU

Good luck.

SG

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Re: Help please: How to remove a ring from Copal #0 shutter?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »

Thank you, SG
I got the chrome scalloped ring off and the lens apart and I eventually found that none of that was necessary because the ring I needed to remove was not affected by anything internal.

It was held in place by little ridges at the internal ends of the "teeth" going inside the shutter. It was just a matter of levering one of the teeth away from the sides of the outer ring with the engraved shutter speeds, rather than trying to force the ring off directly, and the offending ring popped out.

See the attached photos for closeups of the ring in place and of the ring removed to show its internal "teeth".

The photos have been "enhanced" to show details. Both rings are normally solid black.

Hope this helps somebody!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up