Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 on wifi?  (Read 1565 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Epson 3800 on wifi?
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:41 pm »

I'm trying to use my printer over wifi, plugged into the wifi router. It works, but often looses the connection.

Any advice how to set this up manually for someone who is not a networking expert?
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

howardm

Re: Epson 3800 on wifi?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »

kind of difficult to say since obviously you're using some unknown form of network 'extender' attached to the 3800 and whatever else your home network looks like.

What *exactly* does 'loses connection' mean?

Youmay well be better off w/ a powerline ethernet setup.

smthopr

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:57:11 pm »

kind of difficult to say since obviously you're using some unknown form of network 'extender' attached to the 3800 and whatever else your home network looks like.

What *exactly* does 'loses connection' mean?

Youmay well be better off w/ a powerline ethernet setup.

I have connected the ethernet cable from the printer to the wifi router.  Then followed the instructions for "automatic" connection. DHCP server automatic connection.  Added the printer in OSX system preferences. (mac OS 10.9.5)

A connection is made, and I can print and run the utilities.  But... I often get a message of "connection error" and printing is aborted and utilities can not function.  Quitting the driver and/or the utilities ap can re-connect the printer to the computer, but it's frustrating.

My question is if I manually set the IP address settings, will I have a more reliable connection?  I'd really like to be able to print from my laptop without running a USB cable if I could.

Thanks.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

howardm

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:34 pm »

well, I'm a BIG fan of static IP addresses and I would have suggested it if you said that the printer is sometimes 'lost', esp after you powercycle the printer but that doesn't fit your situation.  It sounds much more like the Wifi between the laptop and router is suspect.  Perhaps something like a firmware bug that disconnects on heavy load (printer files are BIG).  Verify that you have the latest firmware for the router and if you can get your hands on an alternate router, even just to go between the laptop and the printer (ie. don't muck up your whole home setup), try that.  If you can hardwire your laptop to the router w/ cable for a test or so, try that too (helps to isolate what the issue is).  W a hard connection, the printer should crank.

smthopr

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »

well, I'm a BIG fan of static IP addresses and I would have suggested it if you said that the printer is sometimes 'lost', esp after you powercycle the printer but that doesn't fit your situation.  It sounds much more like the Wifi between the laptop and router is suspect.  Perhaps something like a firmware bug that disconnects on heavy load (printer files are BIG).  Verify that you have the latest firmware for the router and if you can get your hands on an alternate router, even just to go between the laptop and the printer (ie. don't muck up your whole home setup), try that.  If you can hardwire your laptop to the router w/ cable for a test or so, try that too (helps to isolate what the issue is).  W a hard connection, the printer should crank.

Thanks. I may try the 2nd router idea. And test with the wire connection. How hard is it to set up a static IP address?  I couldn't understand the instructions in the Epson manual  ???
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

howardm

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

pretty simple, just make sure you pick an address for the printer that is UNUSED and NOT in the 'DHCP scope'.

there is some screen on the printer you can get to that sets up the Network settings but I dont recall the details.

your home network is probably 192.168.0.x  or 1.x

set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
set the gateway to 192.168.1.1

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:56:09 am »

I'm trying to use my printer over wifi, plugged into the wifi router. It works, but often looses the connection.

Any advice how to set this up manually for someone who is not a networking expert?
Yep. No reason, just doesn't work. Get a long cable.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

smthopr

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »

Yep. No reason, just doesn't work. Get a long cable.

Too bad. Looking for a long USB cable... :-\
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

howardm

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:12 pm »

as I mentioned earlier, get a set of powerline ethernet modules.  much less flaky than WiFi.  If you need that long a USB cable, then why not use wired ethernet.  I think my 3880 is on a 20' ethernet cable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up