Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-everything cheap interview docu/interview camcorder  (Read 24994 times)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Auto-everything cheap interview docu/interview camcorder
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:51:34 am »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to fill a very specific niche in my camera bag: a CHEAP auto-everything point-and-shoot run-and-gun documentary camcorder. A camcorder that my non-techie wife can take around with her to shoot behind the scenes footage of her at photo shoots, and interviews with available light or a single LED panel.

The footage doesn't have to be of cinema quality or anything like it. A bit more flexible than a GoPro 3 and a bit higher quality than an iPhone 4 would be nice but really it just needs to be full HD and give a recognisable image in focus.

The sound DOES have to be of reasonable quality, so ability to take a plug-in mic would be a big advantage. She'll take the Zoom H4N as well but really want something that lives on its cheap tripod in the boot of her car ready to go at a moment's notice by powering it on and hitting record.

The mean reason for cheapness is that it is going to get left in car boots and to one side during photoshoots, and I don't want to wince if it get stolen (as the insurance likely won't cover it).

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone have a friend or family member with a cheap camcorder? How does it compare to pro cameras these days? Been so long since I used one I have no idea. Is the bargain basement stuff like Panasonic HC-V130 HD complete trash? Anyone know which of these cheapies can record 25p? It's hard to find out from the specs on consumer sites!

I'll be intercutting it with RED, GH4, GoPro and iPhone footage.

Cheers, Hywel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:53:29 am by Hywel »

bcooter

Re: Auto-everything cheap interview docu/interview camcorder
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:16:33 am »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to fill a very specific niche in my camera bag: a CHEAP auto-everything point-and-shoot run-and-gun documentary camcorder. A camcorder that my non-techie wife can take around with her to shoot behind the scenes footage of her at photo shoots, and interviews with available light or a single LED panel.

The footage doesn't have to be of cinema quality or anything like it. A bit more flexible than a GoPro 3 and a bit higher quality than an iPhone 4 would be nice but really it just needs to be full HD and give a recognisable image in focus.

The sound DOES have to be of reasonable quality, so ability to take a plug-in mic would be a big advantage. She'll take the Zoom H4N as well but really want something that lives on its cheap tripod in the boot of her car ready to go at a moment's notice by powering it on and hitting record.

The mean reason for cheapness is that it is going to get left in car boots and to one side during photoshoots, and I don't want to wince if it get stolen (as the insurance likely won't cover it).

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone have a friend or family member with a cheap camcorder? How does it compare to pro cameras these days? Been so long since I used one I have no idea. Is the bargain basement stuff like Panasonic HC-V130 HD complete trash? Anyone know which of these cheapies can record 25p? It's hard to find out from the specs on consumer sites!

I'll be intercutting it with RED, GH4, GoPro and iPhone footage.

Cheers, Hywel

I phone 6s with a small stabilizer, 70d with a cheap stm zoom lens and microphone, or used gh3 with zoom

The "cameras" will cost the same, the 70d and gh3 obviously requires a mic and a lens.

70d is easier to work.

IMO

BC

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »

Debated updating wife's iPhone 4 to a 6, and used GH2 or GH3; pros and cons to each.

But in the end just bought a Panasonic FZ200.

300 quid, full HD, decent autofocus with face detection, shoots on SD cards I already own, f/2.8 lens, mic jack. And it was in stock today.

Amazed by how devastated the camcorder sector is. Smart phones have done for them entirely. Maybe a lull before the 4K storm reaches down that far, too. But there was only one camcorder sub £1000 even worth looking at  (Canon G25) and the FZ200 does pretty much the same (for this specific purpose) at half the price.

Cheers, Hywel

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:23 pm »

There is an interesting Sony consumer camcorder with incredible "eyeball" stabilisation.

Edmund

Debated updating wife's iPhone 4 to a 6, and used GH2 or GH3; pros and cons to each.

But in the end just bought a Panasonic FZ200.

300 quid, full HD, decent autofocus with face detection, shoots on SD cards I already own, f/2.8 lens, mic jack. And it was in stock today.

Amazed by how devastated the camcorder sector is. Smart phones have done for them entirely. Maybe a lull before the 4K storm reaches down that far, too. But there was only one camcorder sub £1000 even worth looking at  (Canon G25) and the FZ200 does pretty much the same (for this specific purpose) at half the price.

Cheers, Hywel
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:05:23 am »

Word is Apple is coming out with an Action cam, ala Go Pro.

Maybe it will have more use than just mounting on a helmet or skateboard.

IMO

BC

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:39:37 pm »

Word is Apple is coming out with an Action cam, ala Go Pro.

Maybe it will have more use than just mounting on a helmet or skateboard.

IMO

BC

Apple have been hiring anyone they can get their hands on in imaging. It would be about time this translated into an actual released product.

There has been rumour after rumour about what they are going to do, and then ... nada.

Edmund

UPDATE - With rumors floating around, it may be that Apple need to design vision systems for their car ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:38:15 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up