Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking Through  (Read 2067 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Breaking Through
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:03:22 pm »

This was taken a few days ago in the Columbia River Gorge – Starvation Creek Falls (Oregon side) from Dog Mountain Spine (Washington side).  

I know it’s noisy. This is about 50% crop.  In retrospect I should have switched to a vertical format, zoomed in more, and used a graduated ND filter (had one with me), but given the conditions (cold, very windy, exposed location) it was hard to just frame and focus and I just lacked the grit to do it right.  
The sun burning through was so bright that I had to underexpose the lower portion of the image in order to avoid clipping the highlights in the upper portion. Then, when I opened up the lower portion of the raw image I amplified the noise present there.  

I’m concerned about the highlighting on the treetops at the very bottom of the image (more evident when printed) – do viewers find that distracting?   Any other critical comments?  Thank you for your time.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Breaking Through
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:03 am »

On screen it looks absolutely stunning.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:15:30 am »

To use a good medical term I concur with Eric on this - it is absolutely stunning!

Tony Jay

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:16:44 am »

When shooting it as you did in order to get the shot results in such a powerful image then i guess you took the right decision, great stuff, not hurt by a little noise (I can't notice it on screen here anyway).

Regards, Sander

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:17:32 am »

+1 to what has already been said.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:19 am »

Very nice! If you print it on a canvas I suspect that noise will be even less noticeable.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:34 am »

In retrospect I should have. . .

Hindsight is always twenty-twenty, but it worked out all right anyway. Very nice.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 12:42:48 pm »

This was taken a few days ago in the Columbia River Gorge – Starvation Creek Falls (Oregon side) from Dog Mountain Spine (Washington side).  

I know it’s noisy. This is about 50% crop.  In retrospect I should have switched to a vertical format, zoomed in more, and used a graduated ND filter (had one with me), but given the conditions (cold, very windy, exposed location) it was hard to just frame and focus and I just lacked the grit to do it right.  
The sun burning through was so bright that I had to underexpose the lower portion of the image in order to avoid clipping the highlights in the upper portion. Then, when I opened up the lower portion of the raw image I amplified the noise present there.  

I’m concerned about the highlighting on the treetops at the very bottom of the image (more evident when printed) – do viewers find that distracting?   Any other critical comments?  Thank you for your time.

Enough of the excuses already! It's a fine shot.

Jeremy

churly

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 05:54:32 pm »

Yes, it is a very fine shot.
Chuck Hurich

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »

Thank you for the kind comments. I think we are often our own worst critics and it helps to get some perspective.  I’m coming up the learning curve of how to get from a B&W image to B&W print. I’m printing on Canson Infinity Platine Fibre and am struggling.  Softproofing hasn’t helped much.  The highlighted treetops which are barely noticeable at the very bottom of this image really pop in the print, but then again maybe I just need a different perspective.  Thanks again for looking and commenting.
Paul

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »

Paul

I see the tree tops you refer to - the good news is that they point back up into the image - but given they are not the focus you want - if this is a digital image - then what about a layer mask and just tweak them so they don't "pop" - without loosing them altogether.

All in all the light and the forms in this image are very appealing - so now it is just the post processing fine tuning.

Regards

Mal
Pages: [1]   Go Up