Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Photo opportunities in Gatlinburg, TN Area?  (Read 1503 times)

dwswager

Winter Photo opportunities in Gatlinburg, TN Area?
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:49:49 pm »

My daughter has a Futsal indoor soccer tournament in Gatlinburg area this winter.  I guess I'll have early mornings and late dinners.

I'm looking for landscape and city/nightscape locations for winter months in the area.  I normally like to do my own thing, but with limited time a few good starting points would be helpful.

Thanks!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Winter Photo opportunities in Gatlinburg, TN Area?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:30 am »

Gatlinburg is rather touristy, but I think it would be fun to shoot in the off season. There won't be many people there, anyway, compared to July.

US441 goes to Newfound Gap. It's sometimes closed in the winter, so check ahead. Decent views from various overlooks.

Cades Cove is a beautiful spot, about an hour's drive from G-burg inside the park. Also worth checking on road conditions, but it's much lower elevation. CC has old settlements, wide open fields, wildlife (in season), etc. Very popular spot, but unlikely to be crowded in the winter.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12:48 am »

A Cade's Cove - based photographer, Bill Lea, came to give a seminar at our camera club, and I must say that the spot has lots of possibilities in all seasons. See images at his website to get an idea of the place.

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »

Thanks!

I like city and nightscapes and sometimes use heavy ND to make people disappear.  Been looking at winter images from the smokies to get some ideas and locate potential spots.  Love ice.  Have a couple images of Big Mountain Montana (Near Glacier National Park) with rime ice covered snow ghosts.  Shown are ones from the web not my own.

Bill Lea Galleries are very nice and located at the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up