Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading to Iceland  (Read 1041 times)

James Clark

Heading to Iceland
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:44:05 pm »

My wife and I had a 5 day trip planned over valentines day weekend, but one of our best friends is getting married and it seems the only time everyone is available for the bachelorette party is... Valentines day weekend.  So I'm hopping over to iceland.  What I'm wondering is, if i take a day to travel and a day back, can I get some quality shooting in if I base in Reykjavik with maybe a night outside the city to hopefully catch some aurora action, or is 3-4 days simply too ambitious on my part?

Petrus

Re: Heading to Iceland
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:37:39 am »

With 2 days at your disposal you can get to Jokulsarlon lake and back quite easily. If you are lucky you might get the aurora there (just check some pictures with google picture search…). At this time of the year the sun is not up much and all interior roads are snowed shut, so not ideal time for longer visits, but a short taster, yes.

PhotoEcosse

Re: Heading to Iceland
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:57 am »

Agree with above. In winter a short visit is a good idea.

I just got an e-mail from SADcars (google them) saying that their special offer car hire prices have been extended.

My suggestion, for aurora, would be to book a tour for your first night in Reykjavik (the night you arrive) as the bus company will give you a second chance free if the aurora does not oblige on the first attempt.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up