Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage question: Which setting  (Read 1687 times)

springm

• spring2life take 2
Qimage question: Which setting
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »

As my windows 7 version is German, the Epson 3880 printer driver dialogues are German, too.

Now I want to start color managed printing in qimage and am not completely sure how to set the printer driver. I am selecting the paper profile in qimage itself. Do I have to set

a) in the main 3880 printer driver dialogue set "user defined" and "ICM", with the following "extended" dialogue set to "Host ICM". If so, do I have to select "Epson Standard" as printer profile

or

b) in the main 3880 printer driver dialogue set "user defined" and "Off (no color correction)"

I would be glad if somebody could confirm the correct settings, maybe even with screenshots, as I assume that the dialogues and answers are in the same places, only named differently. The respective qimage video unfortunately gave no clear answer that I could apply to my 3880 driver settings dialogue.

Thanks - Markus

hugowolf

Re: Qimage question: Which setting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:53:35 pm »

b) in the main 3880 printer driver dialogue set "user defined" and "Off (no color correction)"

Yes, the answer is b, if your app is set to manage color, then you need to turn off color management by the printer, otherwise you would be applying the profile twice.

You could instead turn off color management in your printing app, in this case Qimage, and have the printer driver manage color, using whichever ICM you prefer. But having the app manage color gives you a much more consistant workflow.

You can change the default for the printer so that it comes up with color management off when you open it, by going to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, select the printer, then right click on the printer and select Printing Preferences... Anything you then select and OK, will become the default for that dialog. The same goes for paper type: the newly installed driver will default to Epson Lustre and PK, if you more often use fine art paper, this can lead to unwanted accidental switching of black inks.

Brian A

springm

• spring2life take 2
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:28:33 am »

Brian, thanks. Those German translations are often imprecise and therefore did puzzle me. But windows dictates the language, so I couldn't resort to the English originals.

So I will set up different printer queues, all color-wise unmanaged, for the different paper sizes and the paper types, in order to offer the necessary variants to qimage.

---Markus

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:16 am »

Brian, thanks. Those German translations are often imprecise and therefore did puzzle me. But windows dictates the language, so I couldn't resort to the English originals.

So I will set up different printer queues, all color-wise unmanaged, for the different paper sizes and the paper types, in order to offer the necessary variants to qimage.

Hi Markus,

Qimage will automatically remember your driver settings for specific print jobs, so the first time make sure your Qimage settings are correct and do not use prior incorrect settings. You can also save specific setups if e.g. you want to switch between settings on the same medium.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »

... But windows dictates the language, so I couldn't resort to the English originals.

You should be able to change default language too in Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, and then set the language to English (US, UK, Zimbabwe, etc). Unfortunately, it won't be called 'Regional and Language Options', until you change it from German.

There is also probably something you can do about remapping the German keyboard, but I have never tried to do that.

Brian A

springm

• spring2life take 2
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:24 am »

Brian, my German Windows version now happily displays date and time in the English format, but nonetheless all texts are in German. Not that I have difficulties with my mother tongue German, but those translations of (especially) drivers are often imprecise. As I do read and write a lot of English, I learned that most often English documentation is much better.

But for now I am settled and my printer does what it should - qImage works like a charm since I have removed that double color management that was the reason for my initial failures.

springm

• spring2life take 2
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:12 am »

Bart, thanks. Creating fresh printer queues was the way to go. Now I only have to adjust for the paper thickness of the Canson Baryta and then everything should be ok. Color- and detail wise Qimage does a remarkable job.

---Markus
Pages: [1]   Go Up