Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exasperated with IPF6400 loading a roll of paper  (Read 1503 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
Exasperated with IPF6400 loading a roll of paper
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

I have been trying to get a roll of paper to load for about 2 hrs now. I've turned it off and on several times, done everything but stand on my head. When I try to load paper, it starts to load fine then it just rerolls the paper onto the paper roller, pulling it out of the printer. It did that while printing once or twice. It would print fine, then after the print it rolled the paper out the back of the printer and I'd have to reload it. After several tries I got it to load, made another print and it did the same thing after printing. Now it just keeps spitting the paper out every time I try to load it. Arrgghhh. This machine has been flawless for a year and the last few days it has me pulling hair.

I just noticed a very tiny edge of the paper was rough. About an inch of the edge was roughed up. I cut that off and it loaded fine. Is there an issue with the cutter? This was such a tiny flaw on the leading edge It's hard to believe that would have the paper being rejected after printing and not load? This is an old roll of 300gsm Canon paper. It has been working fine for the first half of the roll. )-:}

More looking, it seems the front edge of the paper is hitting something when it loads. That small dent must be where the paper is catching and not allowing it to feed properly. I'm close to the bottom of this roll so I think I'll ditch the paper. It's pretty thick paper on a small roll so it has a lot of curl. I just loaded a thinner paper on a 3" roll and it loaded fine. I guess the printer is still flawless, but that paper just isn't working.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:46:44 pm by arlon »
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Exasperated with IPF6400 loading a roll of paper
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »

Maybe extreme curl at the end of the roll is warping the paper up into the optical sensor that detect obstructions.  Have never had that happen with my 8300, although it once in a while it rejects a new roll where there is an extremely irregular or highly angled cut-off on the leading edge, in which case I get out the scissors.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:15:07 pm »

What is the readout on the control panel?
~ CB

jtunney

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:34:36 pm »

Make sure the left and right spindles are on their proper ends of the rod. They'll fit on either end, but the roll may not load properly if they're not on their respective end of  the rod.

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:23 am »

After a bunch of messing I'm pretty sure the slight damage being caused by loading) on the leading edge of the paper is causing the problem. Really nothing of value on the message panel. It just says the tp reload the paper, paper no detected (of course not, it is roled itself out of the feed track).

I did try several other rolls of paper and had no issues. This roll is thick, stiff, and been sitting for a long time. I think it just has too much curl to work properly. I may try rerolling it upside down to remove some of the set in the curl the rerolling it. I did notice the paper was discontinued by Canon, maybe for a reason.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?
Pages: [1]   Go Up