Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD Operation and monitoring  (Read 3020 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
SSD Operation and monitoring
« on: January 11, 2015, 04:58:03 pm »

I'm running Window 8.1  64 in a Dell.  I'm trying to see how my SSD 256gb memory (soft drive?) is operating.  I can watch the separate 24gb memory usage in the Performance tab when I open Task Manager as well as the C and D hard disk. processor, etc.  How do I monitor the SSD?  

Also, how does the SSD operate when I'm using the various program like Lightroom, Adobe Elements, Adobe Premiere, etc?  Note that I think the C and D disk are the same hard drive just separated for reasons I don;t understand.  I have put my photos and videos on the D partition to speed things up if they actually do that.  Any recommendations along this line?

Sorry, bu this belongs in the Computer section.  Can the Administrator relocate it, please?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:00:18 pm by Alan Klein »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Re: SSD Operation and monitoring
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:35:08 am »

The SSD is a type of hard drive, not RAM. That is why it doesn't show up when monitoring RAM usage. It should have a drive letter just like any other hard drive, but will be much faster than one using spinning magnetic platters. I have an SSD as my boot drive, and all of my Windows programs are installed on it. It makes booting and opening programs way faster.

If you right-click on "This PC" and select Manage, one of the options will show you your physical drives, and all of the drive letters associated with them.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:35 am »

You can monitor SSD performance with 'Resource Monitor' (not sure where they hide in W8.1, but W7 by default has it on the start menu>Accessories>system tools).

Frankly if you didn't know about that utility, you're not going learn much from watching it. The information is highly technical and esoteric.

Just enjoy the speed increase.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:06 am »

Jonathan,

Do you know, if it is possible to relocate the already installed programs from drive C to SSD drive, or do you have to uninstall and reinstall the programs?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:04 am »

It is, but you need software that can clone a hard drive, even if they aren't the exact same size.

The speed advantages to doing so are enormous. My laptop displays the login prompt maybe 15 seconds after powering on after a complete shutdown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up