Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 Photo Black nozzle spitting ink all over prints.  (Read 7429 times)

dgardn

3880 Photo Black nozzle spitting ink all over prints.
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:18 pm »

Lately, my 4 year old moderately used, Epson 3880 has been spitting ink in both lines and large spots mostly on the edges. It might seem like head strikes, but this is not happening. Switching to Matte ink fixes the problem. But I also need to print using the Photo Black. I do repeated cleanings, and all looks good on a sheet of plain paper,but then when I print an image on any paper regardless of thickness, the spots are back. Not little tiny dots of ink, but large pools of it.

I've tried widening the platen gap to no avail.

Pretty sure there isn't much more I can do about this, but any suggestions? What Canon printer are pople using for 17x22 inch prints? I'm ready to change I think.

Thanks,
David G.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: 3880 Photo Black nozzle spitting ink all over prints.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:11:56 pm »

Even though you are out of warranty, especially if you live in North America, you are entitled to free phone advice from Epson Pro Graphics because this is a professional printer. Give them a call and see what they advise.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »

Chances are you have an ink glob that formed on the head having sit so long.  Plus, the rubber print head wiper and capping station rubber probably has build-up on them too.  Ink seems to congeal into some greasy stuff if not cleaned off.

I usually flush the capping stations two sponges with some head cleaner out of a syringe once a month until they are white again.  The wiper and its cleaning sponge I can get with Q-Tips that I cut in half and shove the middle of them into a 12" long piece of 1/*" diameter brass or copper tubing from the hobby shop and use that as a long handle.  The Q-Tip will stay in the tubing if it fits well by itself for the cleaning of the wiper.

The underside of the print head is the problem part to get to.  I've used alcohol on a piece of rag paper and run it under the head to see if any ink gets transferred to it.  Mine busted a couple of months ago and it takes quite a bit of time to tear into it deep enough to get the head out and invert it to see the gunk that forms under it.  Mine looked like wet tar almost, and much of it wasn't on the head but attached to the frame that surrounds it.  Bad part is Epson made it very difficult to get to as they seemed to have built the machine around the thing and kept going outward.  I think I spent 3-4 days getting into it and back out.  Might be a lot less now that I know the innards better.

I had photos of the underside of the head on here maybe 2-3 months back that shows it.  I wiped a lot off before the photos though.  It could be anything like cat hairs, or some papers that shed a lot of fibers that stick and then build up into the gunky mess.  Without that wiper, it probably would be a real mess for leaving sundry blobs.

As to the smaller Canon, I was contemplating the Canon ipf5150/5100 when the 3880 acted up.  Since I got the 3880 working again and have a lot of ink for it, I did go that way yet.

Good luck.

SG

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:10 am »

+1 on cleaning head wiper, capping station, etc.  It MAY not be the cause of your issue, but odds are yes, but has to be ruled out one way or other.  It's is STARTLING how much gunk builds up there and creates the issues you're seeing.

Check the 'net for video on cleaning procedure (search under 3800 IIRC). B&H sells 6" long swabs that work well. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733362-USA/Fujitsu_CG90000_120601_Cleaning_Swabs_100_Pack.html

Some long locking forceps are also handy for CAREFULLY picking up any large dried blobs of ink, animal hairs, etc. (think old game 'Operation' and watch any rubber seals).  You will be shocked by the **** you'll find.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:48:14 am by Conner999 »

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 12:36:03 pm »

dgardn

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:02:57 pm »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try this today and report back. I've also looked at the video about how to do this. It looks pretty straight forward. Hope it works.

Thanks also for the Canon suggestions. I'll be looking further into this if the cleaning doesn't work.

David G

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:18:05 pm »

I'm dealing with the same issue, you are not alone, did the windex thing on the parking station and alcohol on card stock but so far not good. Let us know how you make out.
I've been turning off the unit on a regular basis and will try another switch to PK in a while to see if the problem still exists.

crwoo

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

mine does too, setting platen gap to high and pulling the front tray out completely seems to solve it. mine is still under warranty and might call them

dgardn

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:14 am »

Just wanted to let you know that, so far, this has not worked. The clean-up went well, but still with the same results of ink puddles on the print. I've also tried wetting a 1" strip of folded paper towel with windex and placing under the print head.

I've done this several times now, the last time was over night. In the morning the towel was totally soaked with ink. Is the towel just sucking the ink out of the nozzles, or is this residue coming from around the heads? I could keep doing this, but I want to be sure I'm not just wasting ink.

David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:50:04 am »

Time to call Epson ProGraphics.

Conner999

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:59:26 am »

+1 to Mark's comment. These things are a love-hate relationship.

dgardn

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 03:26:12 pm »

Ok, so latest update. A call into Epson support netted me the declaration that the problem is a hardware malfunction, at which time they recommend the nearest repair facility. Repair thinks it's a problem with the ink distribution system and feels it could be repaired for around $400-$600. He charges $135 to look it over and applies the amount to the repair if I decide to go that way.

It's a 5 year old printer with, at worst, only 1 or 2 moderate problems in that time. I'm thinking it could be worth holding onto. Even at $600, if I get another three years out of it, I'd break even. I'll probably go back and forth on this until Monday when I plan to bring it in.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,
David G

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »

The important thing to get assurance about is whether this expenditure is guaranteed to fix the problem. There are two steps here: (1) what you spend at the front end for the diagnosis, and (2) what the repair charge will be based on the diagnosis. If they get the diagnosis wrong and therefore don't apply the right fix, you should have the right of recourse without paying any more until they get it right - and if they want more money - to prove to you why the correct repair is more expensive than the one you paid for. Be very careful to negotiate your conditions up-front.

dgardn

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »

Oh yes, I meant to mention the other option the Epson support guy offered. He told me since I was already signed up for the Epson Loyalty program, that I could go to a special place on the Epson site where I can buy an NEW printer at drastically discounted prices. When I got there, the inkjet printer choices were, Epson Stylus C88+, Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4020 and Epson WorkForce WF-7110. All such perfect replacements for my 3880.

David G

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 06:54:27 pm »

Epson does have rebates on till end of January, check with your supplier and calculate the net price compared to repair cost and consider the value equation of new with warranty vs. repaired. Its a decision I'm pondering at the moment, my MK works fine, PK just spits.
good luck!

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »

I dunno.  Once you subtract the cost of the (full size) ink carts that ship with the 3880, you're left with a $600-700 printer.  I'm thinking spending anywhere near that on repairing a 5-year-old machine - with all the inevitable unknowns that brings - starts to seem questionable...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:09:24 pm »

I think Jeff's logic is unassailable. If a new printer will cost no more - for the machine itself - than repairing an old one, best buy new and have the warranty.

AFairley

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:16 am »

I dunno.  Once you subtract the cost of the (full size) ink carts that ship with the 3880, you're left with a $600-700 printer.  I'm thinking spending anywhere near that on repairing a 5-year-old machine - with all the inevitable unknowns that brings - starts to seem questionable...

I as in the same position as the OP with my 3800 and went the replacement route.  I was able to sell the malfunctioning printer, sans carts (which except for the magentas went into the new 3880) for $125 with full disclosure.  Never have regretted the decision.  Moneywise, going the repair route you will break even at best with the downside of possibly losing money.

Conner999

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 08:23:11 am »

Agree with those above - write the old one off. Odds are you will just end up paying the equivalent price of a ink-less 3880 for printer that MIGHT behave ok, or maybe not - w/o a warranty. You'll also chew thru some ink during testing-repair-testing process.

Buy a new one at the best price you can find, leave the new inks sealed, swap over the ones from the existing unit.

AFairley

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 11:39:59 am »

Only thing with the old inks is to make sure they are at least 1/3 full if you use them to prime the new printer.  If a cart runs out in the priming, the prime will abort, then you will have to do another prime - which primes all channels from scratch, a colossal waste of ink if the first prime was almost done when it failed. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up