Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-P5 + Lumix 7-14: HDR and lens test  (Read 1862 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
E-P5 + Lumix 7-14: HDR and lens test
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »

I'm selling these days my beloved Canon 10-22 with all the DSLR stuff, and wondered if the Lumix 7-14 could provide the same service when attached to my E-P5.

Scene not to get cold these days: home sitting room.

HDR CAPTURE

3 shots bracketing at 3 EV intervals allowed to check for good sensor linearity in the E-P5. I regret not putting more attention in obtaining perfect vertical alignment.

Relative exposure between shots shows perfect gauss distributions, evidence of good sensor linearity:

This is the % contribution of each shot and blending map. The RAW files where mixed using Zero Noise.

SCENE'S DR

About 12 stops as usual in indoor scenes with sunny windows. The Zone System with 1EV width zones is displayed:

HDR SNR IMPROVEMENT

100% crop comparing noise between the only RAW file that preserved the highlights and the most exposed RAW:

Note a hot pixel over the BCN chair (DCRAW doesn't process hot pixels).

LUMIX 7-14 DISTORTION

No correction applied at 12mm and RAW distortion is extremely low (ignore the slight bend on the wooden panels on the right, they bent a bit with time):

Click to see at 1024:
http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/lumix714hdr/salon.jpg

LUMIX 7-14 SHARPNESS

ISO200, f/7.1, focus on the pufs.

Centre 100% crop: very good sharpness. Texture on the coach is not noise but false colours probably produced by a weak AA filter:

Border 100% crop: sharpness falls a bit but still pretty good:

LUMIX 7-14 CHROMATIC ABERRATION

DCRAW reveals the bad news: RAW CA are quite strong in contrasty borders:

Not yet sure if I'm noticeably going to loose performance when using this Lumix 7-14 instead of the Canon 10-22. Both seem to show the same strongholds (distortion and sharpness) and weakenesses (CA). I have to try many other focal lenghts though.

Any thoughts?.

Regards

Peter_DL

Re: E-P5 + Lumix 7-14: HDR and lens test
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »

Hi,

The DxO tool for lens comparison confirms that the Panasonic 7-14 is worse in terms of CA.
With such rating of "19 microns" my experience with another lens was that it is essentially unusable (Sony RX100 II).

Peter

--

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:08 pm »

I now have over a year shooting the 7-14 Panasonic on my GX-7 and using the auto correction in ACR.

For much, in spite of it being f/4 and the GX-7 really good to ISO 3200 for good quality, I'm very happy with the quality.

I'm not pixel peeping and doing all the math, but using the lens day-to-day, sometimes as a back-up to my stable of Nikon bodies (a couple of which are great up to ISO nose-bleed for some of my work) and humungous but sharp and fast wide zooms. Though I've got to either push-up the ISO of the Panasonic beyond reason, good post does wonders.

In daily shooting of landscapes, I'm still happy with the 7-14mm since it flares less than my 14-24mm under the same conditions.

IMO, my arms and shoulders at the end of the day are happier with this little system.

Even better, when the ink hits the paper, or sized for the web, the quality is very good and totally adequate. Needless to say it makes the grade and makes me think I should downsize my stable in favor of these little cameras and lenses for more of my work, especially as I age...

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

stever

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:34:04 pm »

haven't had a 10-22 for some (replaced by Tokina 11-16 now used mostly underwater).  for dry land it got replaced by 17-40 and Canon FF.  I bought a Panny GX7 and lenses for travel and street shooting a year ago and did some 7-14 testing this summer against 5D3 and 17-40. 

I was impressed by the 7-14 corner resolution (and symmetry) and looking at a few landscape crops there was (to me) surprisingly little difference between the GX7 and FF.  I had already done a number of tests comparing the GX7 and Canon 7D and with comparable lenses IQ was practically indistinguishable or slightly in favor of the GX7.

In short, if you were satisfied with the 10-22 I think you will be satisfied with the 7-14.
Pages: [1]   Go Up