Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I get a click count from my Canon lens  (Read 6112 times)

Mike OBrien

How can I get a click count from my Canon lens
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:52:28 pm »

I have a Canon 28mm - f1.8 lens whose performance seems to be on the decline.

It's simply not as sharp as it was when I got it.

I have used lots over the last 7 years and thought it might just be pooched.

How can I get a count from this lens to find out how many times the shutter has been used?

dwswager

Re: How can I get a click count from my Canon lens
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:18:39 pm »

How can I get a count from this lens to find out how many times the shutter has been used?

LMAO...can't wait to read the replies to this one!

ThomasR99

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:20:31 pm »

Way to offer a helpful, supportive answer there, Dswager, especially from a 'senior' member of our community...and we ARE a community, aren't we?  Was it really necessary to publicly state that your laughing your a$$ off at his question, asked with a sincere desire to learn more?  >:( Will that encourage him to continue participating in our community? ???

I have to admit I've often had a similar thought.  Camera mfr's often tout the durability of their shutters by stating the average number of shutters cycles to be expected.  I've never seen a similar statement regarding the number of aperture diaphragm cycles of a lens.

There may be any number of reasons he stated his question with the word 'shutter' in it.  Perhaps (though I doubt) as with me, he sometimes mixes up similar terms.  I consider it a form of dyslexia.  Maybe he just inadvertently used that word but had the correct thought in his mind (and hasn't edited his posting to correct it).  And, in a way, it's not incorrect to ask how many times the shutter has been activated with the lens attached.  Unless he shoots 100% at wide open, that would also cause activation of the aperture diaphragm to stop down the lens to some degree.

Mike, to more directly answer your question, I've never heard of any way to do this, though the factory service center may be able to extract this information if it has any type of counting software in it's internal chips (if there are any...).  That would require sending the lens in to them, though.  This may not be a bad option of its performance has significantly degraded.  The helical threads, or what ever other mechanism is used to move the lens elements may have worn out of tolerance.  Or with years of use, vibration, exposure to varying temps etc etc elements have shifted and are also no longer w/in acceptable tolerances.

Hopefully some other more helpful and knowledgeable members of the board will offer you some help here as well.

And don't let Dswagers attitude and response dissuade you from continuing to post and participate here.  You'll fine many more helpful, welcoming folks here than 'others'.

Thomas.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:51:47 pm by ThomasR99 »

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »

Way to offer a helpful, supportive answer there, Dswager, especially from a 'senior' member of our community...and we ARE a community, aren't we?  Was it really necessary to publicly state that your laughing your f***ing a$$ off at his question, asked with a sincere desire to learn more?  >:( Will that encourage him to continue participating in our community? ???

Actually, I figured this was either a joke or a serious post which was poorly worded, maybe because of language differences.  I wasn't making fun of the original question or the person asking it.  I was making fun of the manner people were likely to answer.  Point made...thanks!

Mike,

Assuming this is an honest question, then it is very unlikely the diaphragm is the issue.  It happens, but it is very rare for a diaphragm to go bad because compared to a camera shutter it just isn't actuated that often, nor is it that rigorous like a camera shutter.  Is there dust or mold inside?  What does the glass look like?  Marks on the glass will significantly reduce contrast that might look like a lack of sharpness.  Most likely it is a focusing issue.  If these shots are using Auto Focus there can be drift in the calibration between the camera and lens over time due to wear.  If your camera has a AF Fine Tuning setting, I would recommend the DotTune method to check and calibrate.  If you are Manual Focusing, is there play in the focus ring?  If you have LiveView, mount it to a tripod and point it at something with a high contrast pattern and see if you can get it sharp.

If you truly believe there is something wrong the you would need to decide, based on cost and convenience if you are better having it serviced or buying a different lens.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »

There are ways to attain the number of shutter activations on a camera but there is nowhere that the picture count taken by a lens is stored.  Probably just a figure of speech on your part but the lens does not have a shutter in this camera system. It does, however, have an aperture diaphragm that closes down every time you take a picture with an aperture smaller than the maximum aperture and also anytime you hit the depth of field preview button.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »

Using adobe bridge, you can filter images by Lens. Assuming you have never deleted any of the images you took with your 28mm, you can get an idea of how much use it has had.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:28 pm »

Before getting too worried about this Mike I'd go back to one of my earliest images with it and duplicate it as best as possible (perhaps a flower shot, some scene that you can return to?).  Take the new image as close as possible (try to ensure the light is the same if outside) then put them side by side for examination.

You say that it doesn't seem as sharp;

All over the image?
Edges only?
One side only?
How about CA (overall and one side vs the other)?
Contrast?

Has the lens been dropped/handled roughly (have you lent it to anyone)?

Good luck

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »

I don't imagine there's a way or figuring the information you've asked but your mentioning the declining performance of that lens reminded me of my experiences with the Canon 28/1.8

It was the only Canon lens I came to hate.  I originally bought it to shoot in a pub in available light.  I shot wide open and was pleased with the images.  Then, our group broke up and I no longer shot in such locations.  I tried the lens outdoors and was surprised at the poor edge sharpness.  Naturally I was no longer shooting wide open but at f5.6 or so.  I then decided to “test” the lens with the camera on a tripod.  I simply couldn’t get acceptably sharp edge performance – and I’m not speaking of viewing at 200% or so, the edges were absolutely terrible.  And this edge performance extended a fair way into the image.

I’ve long deleted those images, so I can’t offer any examples.  That was the only Canon lens I used with abysmal performance outdoors.  I guess I never noticed that with the original usage.  You might be able to also use it is such a manner, else dispose of it as I did, via ebay.

At dpreview I’ve read of how pleased some folks are with that lens, my experience was much different.  Maybe it really was one of those “good copy, bad copy” things (how I hated that former debate!).

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:40 am »

If it were the Plastic Fantastic (50mm f/1.8 ii), I would say, just pitch it and get a new one.
Diaphragm actuation problems are rare but easy to identify, because the diaphragm can be seen from the front, and because it will have an obvious effect on exposure. Element alignment problems may be obvious (seeing a piece of glass moviing around when you look at the lens from the front and tilt it), or need to be identified by functional testing. Shoot a brick wall straight on from a distance, and examine the corners at 1:1 pixel magnification - is one or are two adjacent image corners notably softer than the others? If so, an element may have slipped out of alignment. If you live in a humid and warm climate, fungus infestation could be an issue. Look carefully through the front element for haze. Does the focus motor move smoothly? Does the lens have very sharp focus when you manually focus with magnified live view?

Finally, and I kid you not, have your standards risen over the past 7 years? What may have seemed amazingly sharp 7 years ago may be "meh" today, even if nothing physical has changed in the lens. I bought a few excellent lenses over the past few years, and my standards have risen such that some of my other lenses are "good, not great" (good is still usable though).

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

If it were the Plastic Fantastic (50mm f/1.8 ii), I would say, just pitch it and get a new one.

The brittle fantastic :)

Of course there is always the dirt-cheap clone route :)
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/17/thriftier-fifty-yongnuo-cloned-cheap-canon-50mm-f1-8-make-even-cheaper/

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:24:32 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 09:43:22 am »

I am actually pretty thrilled with the Plastic Fantastic's successor, the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. It is a darn good lens, is inconspicuous (street and event photographers), fits in any pocket, and weighs about 4 to 5 oz. For daylight landscapes, it is da bomb, and is edging out my 35 f/1.4 in the daytime landscape prime kit. Admittedly, the Sigma Art 35 f/1.4 is still in my landscape kit much of the time because I like to try my hand at astro-landscape, and it is first rate for that.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 10:42:33 am »

If you use Lightroom, then you can very easily find the number of images taken with that lens. What will not be included are any that you have deleted from the LR Catalogue (or which were never imported in the first place). But, depending upon your personal workflow, it might give you a good approximation.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »

I hate to say it, but lens wear out, especially if it's one you use frequently. I owned two 85/1.8 lenses, before buying my current 85/1.2. I also owned two 50/1.4. All were regularly cleaned and maintained by Canon CPS service. I found over time, no matter what, performance deteriorated. On average, I replace my heavily used lenses about every 7-8 years. So, IMHO, I think you may be due for an upgrade.

Nemo
Pages: [1]   Go Up