Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf8300 problems with new Mac Pro 10.10.1  (Read 2232 times)

Dward

Canon ipf8300 problems with new Mac Pro 10.10.1
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:30:18 pm »

I used Migration Assistant to move from my former Mac Pro, running 10.6.8 to a new Mac Pro running 10.10.1.    After migrating, I updated the 8300 driver from the Canon site, the one listed for using 10.10.  Now I am unable to print with the usual color controls/icc profiles, custom papers etc.  using Photoshop--the relevant menus don't appear.   For instance, I now have no way of either accessing or creating presets.

I would deeply appreciate suggestions about how to correct the issue and be able to print as I did (and still can) with the former machine.

thanks in advance.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
www.dvward.com

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Canon ipf8300 problems with new Mac Pro 10.10.1
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »

Did uninstall all Canon printing software, then do a clean install of the driver & Media (MCT) program?
~ CB

Dward

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:23:10 pm »

No--I'll give it a try.  Sounds like it should work!

thanks,
David Ward

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:35:53 am »

If there's no uninstall app from Canon, I recommend using App Cleaner. I hope this helps!
~ CB

howardm

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:51:11 am »

if that doesn't work, open a Finder window (or Terminal if you're Unix friendly) and

cd  /Library/Printers
sudo  rm   -rm  Canon

That *really* gets rid of the existing driver instead of leaving around old stuff and over-installing.

Dward

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:56:04 am »

Thanks Chris.   I hadn't heard of this program!

My immediate problem is of my own stupid making---I've misplaced the Canon User Software CD that came with the printer.   I have the Windows version, but not the Mac one that I need.   And as far as I can see, there is no replacement available on the Canon support site.  I got the new driver and MCT from the support site, but there isn't a printer setup program, as there is on the original disk.

I'm thinking of removing the Canon utilities folder, as you suggest, and copying the folder from my older Mac.  And I emailed Canon to ask how I could get a copy of the software on that user disk.  If you, or anyone, has that disk and would make a copy, I'd be delighted to pay for the shipping, etc.

many thanks,
David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

Dward

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:03:27 am »

Thanks, Howard.   Much appreciated.....
Now if I an only find the Canon User Software CD I've misplaced....  Since it is important, I must have put it somewhere very, very safe. Hah.

David V. Ward, Ph. D

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »

My immediate problem is of my own stupid making---I've misplaced the Canon User Software CD that came with the printer.   I have the Windows version, but not the Mac one that I need.

Aren't the disks dual-platform? (I'm not at my studio, where I store them with all other software disks  ;) )

And as far as I can see, there is no replacement available on the Canon support site.

yeah, Canon is one of the few companies that require the disk to make the initial install.  :-\
~ CB

Dward

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »

Hi All,

The saga continues.  I got a User Software disk from a friend who also has an 8300.  I used AppCleaner (thanks again Chris) to remove all the Canon software.    Then I ran the User Software Cd.   The list of software it installs included the driver and MCT, which were both grayed out in the installation menu, presumably because there are more recent versions on the website.   I ran the Setup program on the disk, and got an message that the installation failed, and to try copying the CD to the harddrive and try again, which I did.   To no avail.  I installed the new MCT and driver (downloaded from the Canon support site), but still no luck.  When I attempt to update the MCT, I get "registration failed", and a recommendation that I try again.   

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

thanks,
David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 04:45:23 pm »

When I attempt to update the MCT, I get "registration failed", and a recommendation that I try again.

This is because the initial install of the software must come from the disk. You are now officially caught in a digital Catch-22. Very frustrating.

The list of software it installs included the driver and MCT, which were both grayed out in the installation menu, presumably because there are more recent versions on the website.

Is there a way to find what version the installation software is? (insert the disk, find the install app, hit command-I might work). Get this info, your OS version, printer firmware version, and contact Canon support via phone.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up