Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki 1.2.1 – New Apple Mac Software Display Profile Problem  (Read 1386 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

So, after having found that the new version of the ColorMunki Apple software (1.2.1) appears to produce better print profiles I decided to re-profile my monitor (iMac 27 inch mid 2011).

Oh dear !

The profiles produced lead to a much darker, higher contrast, display with the extreme blacks clipped; also slightly ‘warmer’ in tone.  I tried a variety of combinations of preferences settings (“Achieve display luminance value using video LUT” and “Enable ADC” on and off) – and just for the record version 2 profiles were generated.  Also tried using the “Advanced” and “Easy” settings.  No difference.  I aimed the screen luminance value at 120cd/m2 and was able to achieve either 105 or 130.  No difference in profiles here either.

After extensive testing using a variety of test files I concluded that the old profile made under version 1.1.1 of the ColorMunki software gives the most accurate rendering of the screen (notwithstanding the clipped blacks !).

There is, however, one other variable which I am not yet in a position to test and that is the operating system.

I would very much like to know if anyone else has tried making a monitor profile using the 1.2.1 ColorMunki software on a Mac running Mountain Lion or later (I have Lion) and, if so, whether you experienced the same problem as me.

Any other comments and suggestions welcome (I think I can upload a test file for testing clipping, and the errant profiles if anyone is interested).

Yannis Doukakis

Re: ColorMunki 1.2.1 – New Apple Mac Software Display Profile Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:59:43 am »

Yes I have faced the same problem.

I use an old profile for screen / output to web etc.

However the new profiles match better the output of the PRO-100 Inkjet printer I have, at least in luminance. Whatever detail in shadows is not visible on screen it will not be visible on the paper. So I now switch between the two profiles, depending on the desired output of the pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up