Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't "....Edit in...." Photoshop  (Read 4519 times)

BradSmith

Can't "....Edit in...." Photoshop
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:19 pm »

I upgraded to Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS 5 stand alone version.  I can open and work on images in each, AOK.   But when I start in LR and then want to "Edit In" Photoshop, I get a message that "Photoshop has moved and do I want to update the location?".  Whether or not I say yes or no, Photoshop splash screen starts to open then I get a Photoshop error message that an "unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred and I have to quit Photoshop.

Any suggestions?   
thanks,
Brad

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Can't "....Edit in...." Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:40:00 pm »

Tried zapping Lightroom's preferences? What OS ?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »

Isn't there a mismatch (incompatibility) between LR5 and ACR version in CS5?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27:51 pm »

That would generate an ACR mismatch message, Slobodan, not the "moved" message.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:01:02 pm »

Reinstall Photoshop, then LR, hopefully the link will get fixed.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

John,
 "Zapp the Preferences file" - I found the Preferences file in Users>Name>Library>Preferences>com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist, dragged it to the trash.  Restarted Lightroom 5: closed it: Had a new Lightroom5.plist file in the Library's Preferences folder.   But no help.  Same response from both LR and from Photoshop.   I'm on OSX 10.10.1

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:00:00 pm »

Hi,

Since you are not using the matching PS version, have you configured your PS 5 as an external editor in LR? the default option "edit in PS" from LR might not work.

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »

Isn't there a mismatch (incompatibility) between LR5 and ACR version in CS5?
Slobodan,
I should have mentioned the following in my initial post.  It might be pertinent. After I tell LR to "Edit a copy with LR adjustments"  I get a LR warning that says "this ver of LR may require the PS Camera Raw plug-in version 8.7.1 for full compatibility.  Please update the CR plugin using the update tool available in Photoshop help menu".  My Photoshop CS5 has what I think is the latest Cam Raw release that will work in CS5.......6.7.0.399.  Adobe updater in CS5 agrees and says I am totally up to date. I CAN'T update CR any further in CS5.   Back in LR's CR mis-match warning window, I have to choose between "Render using LR" or "Open Anyway".  Whichever one I choose, I still get the "unexpected and unrecoverable problem" message as Photoshop is opening.

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:26 pm »

Francisco,
I looked closely at my "Edit In" default choice and it was named CS5, the new version I just installed a couple days ago.  So I was skeptical.  But none the less, as you suggested, I created a second choice, namely the exact same CS5 and guess what..........IT WORKED!    With my second CS5 alternative, I no longer get told I have a Camera Raw mismatch.  I no longer have to deal with the "it has moved, please redirect me".  I no longer get the message that CS5 has an "unexpected and unrecoverable problem".   The file simply opens in CS5 as it should.

This was sooooo frustrating.

Thank you very much.
Brad

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:36 am »

An application has moved error is often caused because 2 copies of photoshop exist on the current system, such as a backup on another drive some where.  I have been fighting this issue for some time now.  Even if you “fix” it, the chances are very good it will happen again in the future. I even tried a complete reinstall of everything Adobe, but for some reason if another copy of PS exists somewhere in the system, rather than first checking the default location it apparently obtains that location from the operating system which is sometimes reported as not the default (note that Spotlight can do this sometimes as well, so it may be related to an issue with Spotlight). 

Currently Jim Arnold who hangs out here on LuLa is corresponding with someone at Adobe about the issue, and I have supplied some information which somewhat contradicts their assumptions as to why it happens. not sure it will get escalated up, the person is listed as a “Creative Cloud Solution Expert, Photography”, so we’ll see what he does with the info.

see also this thread http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=96306.0

In the meantime, the only sure fire way I have found to fix the problem for good is to exclude the actual photoshop application from all my backup scripts.  works for me because I’m using PS CC, so a reinstall is simple from the cloud  Maybe not quite as easy if you are still on CS 5.

As long as only one copy of Photoshop exists, the error never occurs. (note this means one copy of the most recent version of photoshop you have on your system, doesn’t matter if you have older versions).  And it seems not all system are affected by this issue, although  I have run across it with several friends.  It showed up about 5.1 or 5.2, or at least that’s when it started affecting me.  I’m sure there is some other factor involved, but no one has been able to isolate it, and as I mentioned despite trying for the last year many times to cure it (it affected both my desktop mac and my laptop), never could get find a permanent solution, other than the one I mentioned.

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:05 am »

An application has moved error is often caused because 2 copies of photoshop exist on the current system, such as a backup on another drive some where. 

I've made a feature request in the Lr6 thread that would allow a user to set the correct %path% to Photoshop. From my experience this is not just an Adobe issue, rather a MAC OS issue. It happens also in CaptureOne. In C1, right click a file and select OpenWith, you'll find a list of possible apps to open the selected file with. If you hover your mouse or pointer over any one of the list a 'tooltip' box will appear showing the full path to the app selected. Invariably it's the wrong one.

The problem is that even there it's indiscriminate. I have a RAID1 and a RAID0 connected to my Mac. The only apps NOT affected, in my case,  are Preview and Iridient Developer which show the correct path to the Applications folder. All the others point to one or other of the two (backup) RAIDs.

The only workaround I've found is to launch a copy of Photoshop, from the original install folder, and leave it running in your system tray. Then any further Edit In ..  from Lightroom, uses that copy of the app.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:47:51 am »

The only workaround I've found is to launch a copy of Photoshop, from the original install folder, and leave it running in your system tray. Then any further Edit In ..  from Lightroom, uses that copy of the app.
doesn’t work for me, even if I have the correct copy of photoshop launched, LR will launch another copy located on another drive - sometimes a copy that is nested several folders deep.

I agree there is something about the OS involved here, although I’ve personally never seen this with anything other than a few oddities in Spotlight which are corrected by forcing spotlight to rebuild it’s indexes.

and for me, open as layers and merge to panorama still work correctly.  Those two functions seem to find the correct copy even if open in photoshop doesn’t.

Since 99% of mac users (or more)  will install Photoshop in the default application directory and will not change the name of the containing folder ... why can’t lightroom check to see if that’s a valid copy of photoshop before it even requests “where is photoshop” from the the OS?  Yeah, I’m not a programmer.  Sounds logical but maybe just doesn’t work that easily.

But I think possibly what Adobe thinks is going on isn’t quite accurate ... maybe they need to look beyond what they assume is the issue, or at least there should be a way to resolve it.  The answer in the conversation from the Adobe rep that I referred to earlier is blaming the OS and goes into some convoluted case of where the user tries to create a desktop shortcut for Photoshop and drags the application out of the default folder .. as though this is a common occurrence - thus the reason LR needs to “ask the OS” where the application is.  First most mac users rely on the dock and don’t use desktop shortcuts anymore, and this action by default results in a shortcut being made on the desktop, not the application being moved out.  I’m pretty sure he was just reciting what he was told by someone else, hard to really get up the chain to the engineer level to see what the issue really is and why it isn’t fixable.

but heck, assume it’s where it’s supposed to be, if it isn’t there then ask the user where their copy of photoshop is located.

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 05:53:08 am »

... why can’t lightroom check to see if that’s a valid copy of photoshop before it even requests “where is photoshop” from the the OS? 

I've double checked by using John Beardsworth's Open Directly plugin for Lr, setting one of the options to  point to PS CC2014 on my system drive. The plugin works correctly every single time, so it is more than possible to set a %path% variable. Indeed that is exactly what needs to be done to eliminate this irritating glitch. Where Adobe could do this I don't know, but 'Preferences>External Editing' would seem a logical place. 

I'm surprised that the 'open copy of PS' workaround doesn't work. It points even more to the likelihood of this being an OS conflict somewhere. Judging by the CaptureOne tell-tale I mentioned above, it seems to be random. Some external programs on my system point to RAID1, others to RAID0. No rhyme or reason from what I can see, but certainly the paths appear to be self-populating (and self-modifying).

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:41 pm »

This problem is recurring and extremely annoying. Adobe please get this fixed!

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:09 am »

FWIW, I have been having a similar problem for the past few days. I couldn't open various raw files using the "Edit in" function from within Lightroom. It did not matter whether I wanted to edit in PS or Nik or any other external editing problem.Curiously, "edit in" worked fine with tif/jpg files though. Even more curiously, some raw files could be opened correctly using "edit in". After disabling all user plugins, removing LR preferences, reinstalling LR, etc., as advised in various similar threads on the net, nothing has helped. Long story short, I have discovered that the problem was caused by the metadata (specifically the keywords) of the raw files I was having troubles with. They have gotten kind of corrupted in the LR database after I have changed many keywords to non-exportable in LR. The solution was rather easy eventually. Just by "reading the metadata from file" of those problematic raw files, I could then use the "edit in" function normally. I hope that you don't run into this problem, but if you do, I hope that this helps.

jannatul18

• Nothing Goes Unpaid
    • Clipping Path Service Provider
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 04:15:14 am »

As the problem is consisting and same error message is showing so I would recommend to uninstall both photoshop and LR. After that reinstall them and I guess then the error will be solved I guess.

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 12:47:46 pm »

It went away for a while for me.  I stopped Spotlight from indexing backup drives but now the nonsense is back again.  I think there was something else that Wayne recommended but I can't find it.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up