Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLM 58 ball head?  (Read 3665 times)

Slough

FLM 58 ball head?
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:49:07 am »

Does anyone have experience with the above ball head? I am looking for a reasonably light weight and solid ball head. The Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is an alternative: light, and affordable, but the FLM has a pan tilt feature. Thanks. Leif

Slough

FLM 58 ball head?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 01:47:13 pm »

Does anyone have experience with the above ball head? I am looking for a reasonably light weight and solid ball head. The Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is an alternative: light, and affordable, but the FLM has a pan tilt feature. Thanks. Leif
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't all rush at once ...

Has anyone used the Manfrotto 468MG head? It looks rather industrial when compared with other heads, but I have heard comments that it performs rather well. The intended use would be for lenses up to ~300mm F2.8 size/weight. Incidentally the reason for not getting a Markins or similar is simply the price, which in the UK is quite high especially taking into account shipping and tax.

Thanks,

Leif

DarkPenguin

FLM 58 ball head?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 05:03:29 pm »

How about a kirk?

stefano

FLM 58 ball head?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 05:35:36 pm »

No experience with the FLM 58, but I use a Manfrotto 468MGRC2 all the time and I am greatly satisfyed with its performance! The hydrostatic lock is rock solid with a simple 1/4 turn of the knob, and the adjustable friction on the ball when the hydro lock is open can be adjusted very easily with its control knob, which has an additional click-detent feature to prevent the friction setting to be changed inadvertedly.

I use this head with a Canon EOS 20D, BG2 grip and all kind of lenses up to a 100-400L zoom, and I never experienced any slippage - often the friction lock is enough to keep the camera exactly where I point it - and there is absolutely no shift of the aimpoint when closing and opening the hydrostatic lock knob if the friction lock is properly adjusted.

The base also has an independent pano feature, with its own separate locking knob.

In my book highly recommended ad a relatively reasonable price.

Happy New Year,

--stefano

Slough

FLM 58 ball head?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 01:08:47 pm »

No experience with the FLM 58, but I use a Manfrotto 468MGRC2 all the time and I am greatly satisfyed with its performance! The hydrostatic lock is rock solid with a simple 1/4 turn of the knob, and the adjustable friction on the ball when the hydro lock is open can be adjusted very easily with its control knob, which has an additional click-detent feature to prevent the friction setting to be changed inadvertedly.

I use this head with a Canon EOS 20D, BG2 grip and all kind of lenses up to a 100-400L zoom, and I never experienced any slippage - often the friction lock is enough to keep the camera exactly where I point it - and there is absolutely no shift of the aimpoint when closing and opening the hydrostatic lock knob if the friction lock is properly adjusted.

The base also has an independent pano feature, with its own separate locking knob.

In my book highly recommended ad a relatively reasonable price.

Happy New Year,

--stefano
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55122\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Stefano: Thanks for the feedback.

DarkPenguin said: "How about a kirk?"

A Kirk is on the shortlist!

Leif
Pages: [1]   Go Up