Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-T1 for Macros  (Read 9556 times)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: X-T1 for Macros
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »

E.J., the tilting screen is fine at ground level as long as I'm shooting in a landscape (horizontal) orientation.  Once I rotate the camera 90° to a portrait (vertical) orientation, the screen doesn't help at all and I either need to lie flat on the ground or use the non-existent angle finder.  I've written to Fujifilm, asking if one is to be released in the near future or if they know of one which fits.  Maybe they'll help.
Very good point :)

mbaginy

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 06:35:17 am »

I received a reply from Fujifilm in which a representative explained, they have no intention of releasing an angle finder in the near future.  Also, he does not know of such a finder which mounts to the X-T1.  But he has forwarded my query to his colleagues at Marketing and R&D.

So unless I can find a shop which might custom-adapt an existing angle finder to the X-T1 body, I guess I'll forget about a switch (from Canon to Fujifilm).   :-\  I'll then stick with my Canon gear but keep the X-Pro1 with 35 and 18mm lenses for traveling light and downtown photography.  And the X-T1 with 23 and 56mm lenses will go on ebay.  I had also bopught a leather half case for the X-T1 from Luigi Leicatime in Italy (plus one for the X-Pro1).  I really like his cases, they're top quality!

Maybe in the future, ...

Thanks for your assistance, guys!

Rand47

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 12:27:41 am »

Here's what I do:

- X-T1
 - Sony A-mount 100mm 2.8 macro mounted via NovoFlex adapter
 - RRS L-plate & tripod
 - Fuji X-T1 wifi to iPad w/ remote App from Fuji

Nice big image on iPad for manual focusing and I don't have to look at either EVF or LCD.  
Works better than most macro setups I've used.  If you're interested I could take some snapshots of this setup in action.

Rand
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:54:25 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

mbaginy

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:50 am »

Rand, thanks for the comments and your offer.  I'll download the app and try using both iPhone and iPad.  I don't want to knock it till I've tried it, though my initial feeling isn't all that positive.  I simply don't want to carry even more gear to the field - especially electrically-driven stuff.

Maybe I should keep a more open mind.  But I dread photographing in a drizzle.  While I have an umbrella mounted to the umbrella, covering camera and lens, I'd now have to cover myself holding the iGadget.  Gosh, I'll need an even wider brim Stetson!  I'll spend a few weeks trying out the iGadget shooting.

mbaginy

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:21 am »

Nice big image on iPad for manual focusing and I don't have to look at either EVF or LCD.

Rand, is it possible, that the app does not offer focussing?  I mean, autofocus only and that can't be seen until after the shot has been taken?

I connected via wifi and received proper connection, was able to change various settings; all quite nice.  But there is no "depressing the shutter release half way" for focusing.  Once I activated the shutter release, autofocus went into action and the shot was taken.  Apparently no means of (manual or pre) focusing using the app.  Or am I missing something?

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 01:10:26 am »

It is touch screen focusing!   ;D  Makes stacking very easy, too.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mbaginy

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:58 am »

It is touch screen focusing!   ;D 
Rand
Well golly gee, gosh darn, I didn't realize!  Would have been silly, to not offer focusing.  Maybe I've been left behind a bit with recent technological advances.  And yes, it (touch screen focusing) really does work.  I'm not sure though, that I'll be able to learn to like that way of focusing.  I've allowed myself a few more months of testing before I make a final decision.  Who knows what will develop in the meantime.

By the way, I (mostly) enjoy shooting macros wide open and the thin depth of field that offers.  Focus stacking isn't for me.  Maybe in about 1% of my shots or so, I'd like to use it.  An interesting technique though.

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Rand47

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 10:36:41 am »

Mike,

You're welcome.  It's a nice little system.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mbaginy

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 07:19:18 am »

It might be, that I’ve found a way of shooting ground-level macros in vertical orientation without having to lie on the ground like an infantryman.

I’ve searched the web high and low in those languages I speak and I’ve found a German forum in which an X-Pro1 user mentions, he can mount (thread-mount) the Nikon DR-3 angle finder for exactly the same situations which I had mentioned.  That won’t help me use my X-T1 but I’ll possibly be able to use my X-Pro1 with EVF instead.  I’ll now buy a DR-3 via ebay and test that setup.

Maybe I’ll be able to make the switch from Canon FF to the X-System after all.  Now to find a nice macro lens – and I’ve received much useful advice from your replies.  Thanks again!
I'm really excited about this discovery!  :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up