Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Straws in the wind.....  (Read 1470 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Straws in the wind.....
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:56:28 am »

Just a couple of observations re the present state of photography at the moment.

First up is that I did some prints for a fellow involved in a camera club around here and although he was more than happy with what I did for him his overriding concern was sharpness. Skin tones, composition, narrative etc etc were, I gathered, only secondary considerations to the holy grail of being in focus. Now I come from a club background myself and although pin point clarity was a great bonus it was never the major concern a decade or so ago. However, it now seems that this automatic function of a machine separates the worthy from the rest in the club scene around these parts. I suppose my point is that if enthusiasts of photography think only of this factor then is there any wonder that respect for the craft is so limited. BTW, I'm not having a go at the fellow himself, he's a good lad and has a genuine interest.

Secondly, I heard, on another forum, of a major motorcycle company (called Hamaya, or something similar)  deciding that it ought to take along a freelance photographer for a three day press trip. They offered the first fellow they found a whole $150 dollars for the job. He declined their kind invitation.

Having said that it's not all doom and gloom because there is, I believe, a growing realisation that good photography can not be done on a mobile, but it's getting that sentiment expressed in terms of money in the bank that is the struggle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:58:55 am by Justinr »

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Straws in the wind.....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:30 am »

It would seem to me that jumping from one person to the whole "club scene around these parts" might be a bit of a stretch.

Later,
Johnny

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:50 am »

It would seem to me that jumping from one person to the whole "club scene around these parts" might be a bit of a stretch.

Later,
Johnny

On the face of it yes, but talking to the fellow, I'm not so sure.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:14:39 am »

Later,
Johnny

It certainly would not be the case in UK where club judges still consider all of the attributes of the print.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:29 am »

It certainly would not be the case in UK where club judges still consider all of the attributes of the print.

Indeed, and in my club days this was case. But that was at the dawn of digital.

It was just the insistence of sharpness above everything else that really registered with me and the prints were destined for club competitions. I'm not knocking clubs by any means, I owe an awful lot to the one I belonged to and have defended them to the teeth in the past.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:28:45 am by Justinr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up