Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D low-light Performance  (Read 6056 times)

aaykay

Canon 5D low-light Performance
« on: December 28, 2005, 11:21:16 pm »

A question for the 5D owners/users:

How well do the pictures turn out on the 5D, when shot indoors (low light), and without flash ? With the 24-70 f2.8L (or 16-35 f2.8L) lens ?  This is important, since in certain situations, without the in-built flash,  low-light non-noisy performance would be needed.

I posed this question in the other 5D thread but possibly got ignored in the midst of other more pressing issues.

On a different note, I wish there was a 24-120 f2.8L with IS, available from Canon, even though it would weigh quite a bit.  For most of my activities, I would not need any other lens, specifically when mounted on the 5D (FF).

sxty8goats

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:17 am »

How well do the pictures turn out on the 5D, when shot indoors (low light), and without flash ? With the 24-70 f2.8L (or 16-35 f2.8L) lens ?  This is important, since in certain situations, without the in-built flash,  low-light non-noisy performance would be needed.

I posed this question in the other 5D thread but possibly got ignored in the midst of other more pressing issues.

On a different note, I wish there was a 24-120 f2.8L with IS, available from Canon, even though it would weigh quite a bit.  For most of my activities, I would not need any other lens, specifically when mounted on the 5D (FF).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, It will preform as well as anyother digital SLR in low light. It is all about the Lens. @ f/2.8 in a room lit by incandesent light baulbs you are likely SOL. I shoot a 50mm f/1.4 Prime on a 20D @ ISO 800, F/1.8 to f/2 with ok results. You won't beable to blow it up past 8x10 from the 20D. The 5D if I am thinking correctly has a FF sensor w/ a higher pixal count, so you may get slightly better results. But low light is all about the lens.

And make sure you shoot a white/grey card in each locatonof the room/ lens setting you shoot. Digital captures light color and the card will make color corection a lot easier.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:42:58 pm »

How well do the pictures turn out on the 5D, when shot indoors (low light), and without flash ? With the 24-70 f2.8L (or 16-35 f2.8L) lens ?  This is important, since in certain situations, without the in-built flash,  low-light non-noisy performance would be needed.

On a different note, I wish there was a 24-120 f2.8L with IS, available from Canon, even though it would weigh quite a bit.  For most of my activities, I would not need any other lens, specifically when mounted on the 5D (FF).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It performs better than the 20D. I used the 5D with a 50mm f/1.4 at a Christmas party with better than expected results. The larger pixels of the 5D sensor definitely have an effect. I used the camera at 1600 and 3200 (ISO expansion) and even had to "push" some 3200 shots 1 stop. In all cases the noise levels are low and I'd have no problems making 16x20s out of many of them.

At one point I accidentally under-exposed an image 3-stops (oops) but was able to recover it better than I have been able to recover 20D shots shot -2 stops under. I was at ISO 100 coming out of a studio which may have had an effect on that...

I want to say I almost had one extra stop of noise performance vs a 20D (i.e. 20D @ 800 = 5D @ 1600) but I'd need to use one more to say anything definite.

Attached is an image taken at ISO 3200, 1/60, f/2.8 with -.20EC in ACR. No noise reduction with capture sharpening in PK. Also attached is a 100px PNG of the original image just in front of the guys eye at 100% zoom.

[attachment=100:attachment][attachment=101:attachment]

aaykay

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:34:38 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys.  I really appreciate that.  I am still waiting for a 5D to get to a place near me to try it out in person.  None of them seem to have a 5D in stock currently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up