Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No ink from MK on z3200. What to do?? Tried clean cycles.  (Read 5433 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: No ink from MK on z3200. What to do?? Tried clean cycles.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 04:10:13 am »

You have done a great job getting your printer back running, Phil.  There were things the seller did not disclose, I think.  But the main thing is that you're back up and running now.

Having "run the gauntlet" your now initiated into a realm where angels fear to tread, LOL.  You've been a trooper and with your dogged determination and sticktuitevness not to mention resourcefullness, the printer should be good to go for quite some time now.

The method I proposed, to take all the heads out, and squeeze and vigorously shake each one, blot, replace, then run a printhead alignment, then a full head clean, then print out a diagnostic image, works up to a point in bringing it back to life.  I never suspected the tubes were clogged, really, although it was questioned, of course.  Knowing the age of the machine, I began to suspect the aged printheads, and the diagnostic image you sent, was telling.  It's nice to be able to read and understand the chart.  It's actually a powerfull tool.

Yes, the power supply fan can easily fail, when you consider that that sub $3.00 sleeve bearing fan runs 24/7 -365 and for years at that.  If/when it does fail, it takes the power supply with it sometimes.  It's cool you got a tech guy who would change the fan out - that's awesome.

The lesson, really, is that the printhead is the ink gateway to the paper.

The nozzles get caked with dry ink, and eventually become unclogged if you massage them enough.  But in the end, just replacing the worst of the bunch, or, in fact, all, in a situation such as yours, considering an older printer having sat for who knows how long, in a dry climate, is no doubt advisable.

Hopefully you should be back in the saddle and good to go, now, with a few printhead changes as they arrive.  Good going, Phil - congratulations - I hope the printer will give you years of print life.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 04:19:50 am »

One thing the tech mentioned is that the best way to revive a bad head in an emergency is to run a print with heavy use of the problem head.
The tubes are heated when being used, and that helps bring them to life....with a good dose of the "Mark regime".

>The tubes are heated when being used, and that helps bring them to life....with a good dose of the "Mark regime".<

Alright, so that is what the conductive paths on the tubes are doing, I had some strange ideas about their function like anti-static control.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Ernst - I agree - very interesting the tech pointed this out.  Seems counter-intuitive that heating the ink would help the flow, but after thinking about it, yes it does make sense considering the ink is aqueous.  I don't doubt there might not be some thermosyphoning at work as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:24:54 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 02:53:09 pm »

The MK is still firing, and yes with the new heads next week, I can be even more confident with the prints it pumps out.

Thanks for everything Mark! I don't know if I could have gotten out of this without your guidance. Your documentation of this printer is also something to praise.
Thank you!

Thank you too Ernst!

So the bottom line from all this...
If you're in a pinch and need the heads working, do all the stuff you need to in this thread.
If you have time to wait for shipping, and the $15-40per head you need, just replace it!

The interesting thing was that even if a printhead is sealed and new, depending on how old it is, how it was stored.... they can fail out of the brand new package!
Since I have not inspected them before putting them in, and not sure how they are made, but a couple things came to mind.

Either they have ink inside when they are shipped, and this ink inside can dry up over time/storage.
I know the heads get primed once installed, so maybe at this point the ink is pumped in to flush out the air?
Or over time the pump mechanism can just get stuck on its own and cannot prime properly.

There is a wonderful link Mark shared, and that explains quite a bit about these heads.
I also had done some reading about the heating of tubes before my service tech had mentioned it. I came across it last when reading about some software that monitors standby time of the printer, and it briefly compare the Peizo to the HP technology differences... It was reassuring to hear it from my service tech!

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »

Thanks for everything Mark! I don't know if I could have gotten out of this without your guidance. Your documentation of this printer is also something to praise.
Thank you!

There is a wonderful link Mark shared, and that explains quite a bit about these heads.

You're welcome Phil - I'm glad you were able to find answers to your questions here on LULA.
Absolutely great people here, particularly Ernst.  I've been in a bind several times and folks have been super generous helping out.

Here is the link you mentioned:

CLEANING HP Z3100-Z3200 PRINTHEADS

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

artobest

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:54 am »

So glad you are reading this! I think you and Mark maybe the only 2 that use this printer!(at least recently .

There are still a few of us using Zs. Maybe the reason you don't hear from us is because we don't have much to complain about :)

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »

I agree, there are a lot of Z users still out there, still grinning ear to ear. Mine is close to 8 years old now, and still have not had occasion to replace the belt! While under warranty, HP did replace the power supply because of the defective fan. Having been a owner of 4 Epson 9000's before the Z, it was such a pleasure to have a machine that did not require much work to keep it running. I am  just now starting to put in the 3rd set of print heads as needed unlike Canon owners usually replacing a 6 color head every year or so to the tune of $400.

Too bad HP has orphaned this very capable printer. I have pondered, what I would replace it with when the time comes. When the time comes to replace the belt, I will put in a new maintenance station too. I do periodically wipe out the plastic platform in the RH parking station area with the print head moved out of the way, as well as cleaning the felt pads on either end of the machine.

VIVA LA "Z"!

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »

I agree, there are a lot of Z users still out there, still grinning ear to ear. Mine is close to 8 years old now, and still have not had occasion to replace the belt! While under warranty, HP did replace the power supply because of the defective fan. Having been a owner of 4 Epson 9000's before the Z, it was such a pleasure to have a machine that did not require much work to keep it running. I am  just now starting to put in the 3rd set of print heads as needed unlike Canon owners usually replacing a 6 color head every year or so to the tune of $400.

Too bad HP has orphaned this very capable printer. I have pondered, what I would replace it with when the time comes. When the time comes to replace the belt, I will put in a new maintenance station too. I do periodically wipe out the plastic platform in the RH parking station area with the print head moved out of the way, as well as cleaning the felt pads on either end of the machine.

VIVA LA "Z"!

I couldn't agree with you more John, about the printer being orphaned.  You are one of the very lucky ones to have had the belt stay for 8 years with no problems.  May I ask when you Z was manufactured?  Also, have you had it running continuously since day 1?  Also, would you mind describing the environment the printer is in, such as, "photo studio, Northeast - relatively wet climate, air conditioned environment, temperature stable at 68-70 degrees", etc.?  I don't mean to be nosey, I'm just interested in understanding if environmental conditions play a significant role in printer longevity.

As far as replacing this printer, if HP does not come out with another iteration, I am of a mind to continue repairing all three of ours.  There is a growing group of Z Series users who do their own repairs and make modifications, even to the point of casting special carbon fibre parts as replacements for the cheaper parts that easily break. ( Custom Parts ).  Another printer that has all the specific advantages that the Z has, may not be coming in the future.

You are so right, "Viva La "Z" !!!

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up