Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No ink from MK on z3200. What to do?? Tried clean cycles.  (Read 5429 times)

Phil Indeblanc

No ink from MK on z3200. What to do?? Tried clean cycles.
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:58:37 am »

I tried to revive the MK ink to print....
I thought it was a print head. I changed to a new one, with no difference.
I am getting ZERO ink to the MK. After several cleaning cycles, I managed to see a spec or 2 in the thin lines on the Diagnostic page. Once at 80, then at 144, and now the others are gone, but a spec at 112. I know those mean little, but thought I'd mention in case there is hope by doing repeated cleaning cycles until my inks are out!?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

Re: No ink from MK on z3200. What to do?? Tried clean cycles.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:48:56 am »

On my 10+ cleanings,

I'm starting to see more marks in the lines in each bank, and very faint areas on the patch showing something. Maybe there is hope? :-)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:08 am »

Remove the MK head and pull some MK ink through the line with a syringe and a blunt needle. For one reason or another the ink channel may not be open enough.
If the ink hardware is in order then you may have to check whether the head carriage board or the ribbon cables have an issue (contacts, broken thread) though I would expect an error message then.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:07:48 am »

I have a syringe, but I don't think I hav a need for it :-/

If I did have the needle with syringe, and if I understand you correctly, I would put syringe/needle down the hole the pin in the head goes down, but maybe a bit further and more suction?

I think I can manage to push a red straw from a can of compressed air into the syringe....That did fit(with help from blow-dryer heat)! Whats the best way to move the carraige over without telling it I want to replace a head?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:15:50 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:17:13 am »

Btw, after I saw the slight MK marks, they are no longer there after 3 more cleanings. Back to Zero!

So glad you are reading this! I think you and Mark maybe the only 2 that use this printer!(at least recently .
I am determined to stay up and get this fixed as I can't work on it tomorrow. I am hoping to only run a few prints...If I get it printing on the matte/RealLitho.

I searched for how to have the carraige move left, but nothing yet. I guess I could open the cover and as it slides out of the locked position I can switch the power off.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:31:32 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:01 am »

To get at that head tube connection you have to use the head replacement choice anyway. If the carriage is open and the head removed the carriage stays in that position to do the suction. If you want it there without opening the carriage you have to pull the power plug otherwise it runs back to the maintenance station after some minutes.

Work to do so I can not assist for several hours.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 04:45:48 am »

Thanks.
 I didn't realize the hole to where the head pin connects is smaller than the straw :-) So I can't do much anyway. I really appreciate it.
I opened the lid and the carraige moved left and I switched it off. I tried this before and upon powering back up it just returns to position.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:01:53 am »

Look at the lines and see if you can make a very large square basically the same color and run the printer to print out a large square on a two foot wide sheet.  keep running to see if it will pull the ink.  Run a head clean for that one printhead then repeat.  Keep trying until it clears. Enough to print.

Of course, Ernst probably Has the correct perception regarding the line.  Sometimes forcing ink by printing as I am suggesting works, if you get lucky.

By the way, you can always find a pump needle like the kind used on the bike repair pump that goes into a basketball to inflate it. Try hooking that up to a shop vac and do as Ernst suggests with the exception that you quickly pulse the vacuum on and off.  You could try fabricating a length of fuel line the correct size to fit the basketball pump needle, and if the fuel line, perhaps bought at a hobby store or auto parts store, is clear, then you can always watch as any ink flows up into the tube.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »

Great suggestions. I will try the print method a few times, as I noticed a cleaning takes a couple to 3 ml of ink. Maybe a larger patch can force more? I guess the cleaning cycle is a bit weak for my clog.

If that doesn't work, I'll be back at it later afternoon with suction.

I greatly appreciate this. You guys are like the Perry Memorial Lighthouse!

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 02:16:55 pm »

Well, I did have a ball needle, and I inserted into the print head feed and sucked using the syringe, and I got a little ink to come out. I did it again, and got more. It may have been that I didn't have a vacuum seal, but I heard some air, but still was able to get ink enough to fill the tip and a bit inside the syringe. I'm sure I can pull more if I do this. Put the head back in, and did a Diag page...Blank!

Pulled up an image to print on some scrap litho matte, and sent it in gray-scale, and it printed without the darkest areas.

Is a solid black going to isolate and print MK on matte? (It did lay down a light pass of a gray under where the black would go.)

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:27:51 pm »

Take the MK / R printhead out, Phil.  Go outside in the grass and shake the printhead. Vigorously.
Next step, (don't overdo) gently squeeze the sides of the printhead and flex the plastic.  Eventually some ink should come out.  Wipe dry, reinsert and see if you're getting anything.  Print a large patch as discused then do a diagnostic chart.  Keep printing, keep cleaning.  Eventually it should begin to come back.  Just begin printing large patches of grays and blacks.  Use the stamp method to diagnose what is coming out of the printhead.

Keep printing.  You will make progress and when you do keep at it with a vengeance.
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:25 pm »

Print this image, Phil, and see what is missing in the print:

http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_color2.jpg
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:58:55 pm »

I sent that file (Yet to do the above steps)..
At a quick look, looks like all areas covered with some ink except for 0,0,0, and a bit of the last bar of gradation below the last 0 lowest right corner of the image/page.

I have a small shoot to do, and then I'm on the grass for some dancing. Hope the neighbors don't mind a 6'2" bear on the lawn doing the wiggles :-) !!

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »

After you reinstall the printhead and a diagnostic image, scan it or shoot it and post it so we can see, Phil.

Keep the ink moving bro

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

crwoo

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »

are you sure you replaced the right printhead?   8)
if it's even a possibility that you replaced the wrong printhead that's what would happen. after a few cleanings you would see some lines on the mk.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:19 pm »

Yes, I replaced the 1 cartridge with pair called Matte Black, and Chromatic Red.

I printed a 17" wide chart with a number of black bars across to give the nozzles "exercise", But I maybe approaching the printers technology too mechanically?

Anyway, it had lots of banding in the first 17" wide print, then a couple more I did and finally the 3rd was less banding. I thought the 4th would surely be either equal, or even less banding....

But NoooooOOhh, More banding across all solid black bars. I am still printing the 17" bars at this point. The MK it think was around 110ml when I started, now 99ml. Red also down to 89 from 106 I think from doing the cleaning cycles.
Hope this doesn't wear or damage the head when doing the cleanings. I think I did it about 12 times total.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »

No way it will damage the printhead - printing is what it's supposed to do.  Could be you have a bad NEW printhead.

I suggest putting the old printhead back in to see if there is any difference.  If there is not, then you've got issues with the tube.  Maybe you need to draw more ink out and see what happens. 

I'm hoping the old printhead will show something different - anything to show that the MK is printing.

Sent PM.
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:33:34 am »

Well Mark, your step by step instructions and your ESP on what I'm doing has me printing a diagnostic page WITH black ink showing on the MK block!!
It still has some banding, but with lots of ink in the block and the test lines. I just repeating your clear instructions and hoping to get this printing flawlessly with matte stock.

Maybe I will need to replace that head eventually with an in date head sooner or later. But I'm here to do a few more tests before I call it a night.

Thank you! Thank you! Thanks you... (my first goal is print to that everglade image on the litho)....for the hand holding, and wisdom and experience you have not only with this printer, but in general the mechanics and their relation to software!
I'm not 100% there yet, but well on the way from the looks of it!

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 12:30:47 am »

The indi HP Tech came out and did the fan replacement!
So I now have a quieter fan, dual BBearing and IP55 rated and hope I never have to deal with it.
I don't think I would have brought it up to him until you told me how important it may have been Mark.
You are THE MAN!

He had quoted me originally to do the belt with the fan and bushing. It took him an extra hour. He took the left side off and opened the PS can and popped the fan in. Lots of screws and some ribbons to deal with. He actually did have to cut the wires and reconnect with the stock plug, and shrink wrapped it. I took video of the process in case I need to do something one day(hope not).

Mark, I think I got the heads as good as they can get. When taking them out I noticed a couple were the original 2008 heads! So I'm surprised they are still firing the way they are. The main issue was the MK, so the rest with some imperfestions, they held up well. I have a couple more ordered and within a week I should have them all replaced. Then I'll make you a print of the Everglades :-)
I ran a small version of it, and it workout well. With the water and contrast in that image, I think it would be punchy and really sing on a gloss, but I also appreciate the color on timeless look on the slightly antiqued, almost aged newsprint paper with the Litho. I think the B&W are amazing on it.

So following your regime of shake, squeze, and alignment was helpful. But you are right, new in date heads would be the sanest way to go. The difference between the before and after were a hit and miss, and somewhat equal, but got the ink flowing and was able to print! I checked the prints with a 4x loupe.

One thing the tech mentioned is that the best way to revive a bad head in an emergency is to run a print with heavy use of the problem head.
The tubes are heated when being used, and that helps bring them to life....with a good dose of the "Mark regime".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:37:32 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 04:02:41 am »

>The tubes are heated when being used, and that helps bring them to life....with a good dose of the "Mark regime".<

Alright, so that is what the conductive paths on the tubes are doing, I had some strange ideas about their function like anti-static control.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up