Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to replicate a medium format look with a 35mm DSLR  (Read 6298 times)

ajm057

• My Photo Repository on Flickr
How to replicate a medium format look with a 35mm DSLR
« on: January 04, 2015, 06:17:14 am »

Hi all and happy new year to you all.

I am never going to be able to afford a medium or large format camera OR to be able to spend the time in post productions that professionals do; but as an amateur photographer I would like to try to replicate the look of some of the best images created by professionals.

I've been doing my best for the last 5 years, but one of my biggest challenges is to achieve the look/style of image I am seeking, which is the style of dense image of White house on the Hill that I recently saw in the article on the Pentax 645z by Michael Reichmann and Nick Devlin (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/Nick_Devlin/645z_-_jpegs-0290.jpg).  Sure this image was taken by a great photographer and with a great bit of kit, but I am also sure that the look has been created or enhanced in post production....  my question is how?  How can I replicate this dense brooding slightly under saturated style image and tweak it to the style I would like to achieve...  its not HDR, its not just a few adjustments in photoshop or lightroom.....  and I am hoping its not "you have to use the same gear". 

I would welcome any guidance or a another Luminous Landscape video to help me (and I believe others) achieve similar results.
AJM

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: How to replicate a medium format look with a 35mm DSLR
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:51:04 am »

Sure this image was taken by a great photographer and with a great bit of kit, but I am also sure that the look has been created or enhanced in post production....  my question is how?

Hi,

You can be 100% sure it was post-processed to look like that. The out-of-camera JPEG would have looked very different.

How can I replicate this dense brooding slightly under saturated style image and tweak it to the style I would like to achieve...  its not HDR, its not just a few adjustments in photoshop or lightroom.....  and I am hoping its not "you have to use the same gear".

As you said, desaturation played a role, and I suppose a lot of 'Clarity' was added. I don't know how the example was processed, but a tool like Topaz Labs Clarity would allow you to get very similar results with the click of a (stored preference) button. TL Clarity is a great tool anyway, regardless of the look you want to imitate, or to create your own look. The Topaz Labs 'Adjust' plugin can also be used to change the look of an image, but is more used to play with exposure and saturation in a creative way, where 'Clarity' is more for enhancing the look that's often associated with Medium Format.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

duboisst

• 500PX
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:20:23 am »

I use these tools and I agree, they are wonderful for getting that medium format look even from cropped format cameras.

DwayneOakes

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:54:57 am »

The Sigma Merrill cameras will give you the MF look but with a lot of trade offs
check the reviews out on the net.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:10:24 am by DwayneOakes »

duboisst

• 500PX
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:13:11 am »

Nice work!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:34 am »

Hi all and happy new year to you all.

I am never going to be able to afford a medium or large format camera OR to be able to spend the time in post productions that professionals do; but as an amateur photographer I would like to try to replicate the look of some of the best images created by professionals.

I've been doing my best for the last 5 years, but one of my biggest challenges is to achieve the look/style of image I am seeking, which is the style of dense image of White house on the Hill that I recently saw in the article on the Pentax 645z by Michael Reichmann and Nick Devlin (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/Nick_Devlin/645z_-_jpegs-0290.jpg).  Sure this image was taken by a great photographer and with a great bit of kit, but I am also sure that the look has been created or enhanced in post production....  my question is how?  How can I replicate this dense brooding slightly under saturated style image and tweak it to the style I would like to achieve...  its not HDR, its not just a few adjustments in photoshop or lightroom.....  and I am hoping its not "you have to use the same gear". 

I would welcome any guidance or a another Luminous Landscape video to help me (and I believe others) achieve similar results.

I don't see a MF look in these pictures. Only what looks like an edit style with desaturation and a white balance to make that look. Just try it in Lightroom. It's not my style, but sometimes it can look good given the subject at hand.

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:37:02 pm »

Hmmm. I will have to add "try Topaz plug-ins" to the rest of my photographer's resolutions. I am still struggling with adding Photoshop layers skills to the Lightroom developing workflow I am familiar with. Lots of subjects to photograph, lots of software to learn.....I won't get bored.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »

Hi,

I don't think there is an MF look. OK, there is an MF look coming from non OLP filtered sensors with large pixels.

Very clearly, I agree there are benefits with larger formats. Less shot noise and higher resolution corresponding to the higher pixel count of the digital backs.

There may also be an "MF" look with background bokeh, as most MF lenses perform OK at full aperture, while 135 lenses at full aperture may suffer a bit more.

My take is that the high resolution backs paired with the best MF lenses have a significant resolution advantage. CMOS backs using Sony based sensors will have some advantage in high ISO capability over smaller sensor using the same technology.

Best regards
Erik

I don't see a MF look in these pictures. Only what looks like an edit style with desaturation and a white balance to make that look. Just try it in Lightroom. It's not my style, but sometimes it can look good given the subject at hand.
Erik Kaffehr

DwayneOakes

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »

I think the MF look is about stunning image detail, color depth and DR range.
Here is an image I have taken with my Sigma dp2 Merrill that does a pretty
good job at getting the MF look. This look is subjective of course. The
camera will make you work for it though with a slowed down approach
to the subject matter.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes
Pages: [1]   Go Up