Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 to Nikon DSLR adapter... Will the JAS adapter ever be available?  (Read 8957 times)

Theodoros

Some months ago, there was a discussion here about an adapter that would allow Nikon users to fully adapt Contax 645 lenses on their cameras, exactly like it happens with Canon via the Conorus adapter...

A member suggested that such an adapter exists and would soon be offered for wide availability... He also provided a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfywi8DJWs to prove his statement... The video is there for almost a year, but I still can't find an adapter in the market... Does anyone knows anything on the JAS adapter or how one can contact the makers?

peterv

• facebook

The makers email is in the video you linked to, I believe his user name here is chiek.

The contact page on his website: http://chiek.viewbook.com/album/contact

A discussion on his Canon version adapter that also seems to work now on Sony FE-mount through an additional adapter:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1288534/0

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

If I am not mistaken, Chiek is active on this very forum.

Cheers,
Bernard

Theodoros

If I am not mistaken, Chiek is active on this very forum.

Cheers,
Bernard

I PMed him with the question after Peter's post, but he hasn't replied yet…

Theodoros

Hello,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Contax-645-Mount-lens-To-Nikon-F-Mount-Adapter-D3-D4-D700-D800-D5100-D7000-/330737565373?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item4d017ebebd

Cheers

Simon

Nope! I used to have this… it is totally useless for other than full aperture! It has aperture blades in wrong position.

william

It's available now.  I have one.

I haven't used it yet, though, both because I've been too busy and because there was a 1-2 page set of very complicated-looking instructions inside the box, something dealing with setting up AF Fine Tune. I'm not sure whether doing this procedure is necessary for the adapter to work at all, or is included just in case one needs to adjust to get optimum performance.  Whatever it is, I didn't have time to deal with it at the time. 

Once I get it set up, will report back. 

Some months ago, there was a discussion here about an adapter that would allow Nikon users to fully adapt Contax 645 lenses on their cameras, exactly like it happens with Canon via the Conorus adapter...

A member suggested that such an adapter exists and would soon be offered for wide availability... He also provided a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfywi8DJWs to prove his statement... The video is there for almost a year, but I still can't find an adapter in the market... Does anyone knows anything on the JAS adapter or how one can contact the makers?

Pascalf

So, to the OPs' question: where did you get your example of the [JAS] adapter?

Regards,
Pascal

Theodoros

I haven't used it yet, though, both because I've been too busy and because there was a 1-2 page set of very complicated-looking instructions inside the box, something dealing with setting up AF Fine Tune. I'm not sure whether doing this procedure is necessary for the adapter to work at all, or is included just in case one needs to adjust to get optimum performance.  Whatever it is, I didn't have time to deal with it at the time. 

Once I get it set up, will report back. 

I wonder is you'll sell it to me William... I don't care much about AF performance... It's the bloody aperture control I (desperately) need...

Also. (if you don't sell yours...) where did you order it from?

william

i don't know who the "chiek" person is referred to in earlier posts in this thread: perhaps it's the same person I bought mine from.  Anyway, I bought mine directly from the person who made the YouTube video posted above, and whose contact info is provided at length at the beginning and end of that video if you watch it.  His name is Steel Chen and, as the video shows, his email is steelchn@gmail.com.  He was very thorough and fast in his responses, and the adapter arrived to me within a few days of paying.   You can pay via PayPal. 

Again, though, I can't vouch for the most important thing - how well it works - because I've still been too busy to mount and test the darn thing....

Theodoros

I've ordered it... thanks William.

volmistral

Re: Contax 645 to Nikon DSLR adapter... Will the JAS adapter ever be available?
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

Hey guys,

Just heard back from Steel as you said, and he quoted $845 USD. Am wondering if that is what you all were paying for the adapter? Seems really high. Just wanted to check. Thank you.

EinstStein

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »

Yes, $850 is the price.

I guess it is so high because of the low volume. After all, there aren't many users in the field that would need both a Contax 645 system and a 35mm FF DSLR system. Besides the Contax 645 components are very hard to get already.

The most likely users of it would be the classical camera hobbists -- particularly the Leica or Zeiss fans. The market size is really small, so the price has to be high to justify the troubles of making it.

It might be a good investment though, I'm thinking the Hartblei Super Rotator PC lens for Contax 645. It is a pretty crappy lens, but now selling with very high price in a very limited camera hobbist market.

volmistral

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

Makes sense. Has anybody that's received the adapter have any updates on how well it's working with their Canons re IQ or overall? Any pics? Thx!

Kjormama

New to the LL forums but have been lurking for a while.

After weighing the input from William and Theodoros here and other forums, I bit on purchasing the JAS adapter last May.  Yes, $849 is quite a chunk of change for such an item but the rationale was based partially on the current investment I had in both camera systems and in the future ability to use the best of both worlds in my work.  I actually have a digital back for my Contax 645 (as well as film), am happy with it but as a realist I know the Camera itself has a finite lifespan.  In the worst case future, being able to port my beloved Zeiss glass to a more modern camera platform (even 35mm) appealed to me.

So I contacted Steel Chen via email, and he initially put me off from making the purchase - his explanation was that critical parts that he outsourced were not meeting his specs and that he was waiting for the next batch before accepting any orders.  He asked for my patience and would contact me when he was again up and running.  A few weeks later, he did so and we worked out the details via email using paypal for fund transfer.  Shipping via EMS to the USA was included in the price and final receipt took about a week from the point of purchase - cleared US customs without additional charge.  Pretty smooth process. However - no manual, only instructions on how to fine tune focus adjust in English at this time.  The adapter was shipped inside a cocoon of semi rigid antishock plastic, overwrapped in clear plastic and inside a small shipping box with peanuts.  The adapter did not come with any caps - I spent the extra to buy a generic Nikon back cap and Contax body cap as a safeguard for storage in my case. 

1) Fit and finish are very nice, with a heftiness that belies all metal construction.  The initial fit to my Nikon bodies upon receipt was very tight but repeated use over the last few months has eased the coupling process to a smooth action. The lineup dot is a dimple on the body and should have been marked in white or red to be able to be seen in less than optimal light situations.  The adapter couples just like a Nikon lens with that noticeable attachment click at the end of the movement. Again, the attachment is tight and feels like it isn't going anywhere (no wobble or gaps).  As the dimple now lines up at the 12 o'clock position on the camera, attaching the Contax 645 lens involves lining up the red dot on the lens mount to the dimple on the adapter and twisting the lens in the opposite direction as that of the adapter (takes getting use to) until it clicks in attachment.  I did have an initial bit of trouble finagling all of the lens mount bits into the adapter, but realized this was my fault, as I found myself rotating the lens while looking to ensure that all of the lens was lined up properly.  Trusting the line up markers seems to be enough now to make a good coupling with all of my lenses.  But lets just repeat and say tolerances are "tight" - to me a good thing. 

2) Once the lens is attached - the camera body is now in control.  However there is one important exception (and hence the need for a manual someday), the attached Lens' aperture ring by default becomes an additional "M/AF switch" (perhaps as a safeguard) once attached.  When the lens ring is at minimum aperture (say f-22 on the 80mm) AF contact to the lens is off.  Any other f-value allows the AF command to the lens focus motor to electronically engage - this switch has no effect on the lens aperture motor.  The Nikon body M/AF switch still works independently as it should.  Otherwise, the camera body controls the lens' focus and aperture actions via electronic connections - the Lens aperture ring has no control (outside that noted above).  Manual focus over-ride works the same with the Nikon body as it does on the Contax body.  Focus, metering and aperture indicators work well in the finder and on the camera body LCD's.  All aperture stops from the lens are listed on the camera body when turning the body function wheel.  Using the DoF preview on the camera body visibly drives the aperture motor (and lens blades ) to the supposed f-stop.  Some of the details I've listed here can be seen on Steel Chen's YouTube video.

3) All of the lenses I have operate well with the adapter 35mm, 45mm, 80mm, 120mm (manual focus only), 140mm and 210mm, much like the Youtube video.  However, while my 45mm and 140 are sharp with AF, the 80mm isn't.  I have to yet go through the process of fine tuning the AF on all of the lenses, but at least the instructions were available in English.  AF performance of the Contax 645 lenses using the Nikon bodies is a night and day experience over that of the Contax body.  The Nikon bodies tested (D800 and D810) appear to be able to drive the larger Contax 645 lens focus motor more effectively and without the focus hunting that the Contax body produced.  This may just be due to the advance AF system (i.e. feedback) that the Nikon has over the older Contax system.  I have no way to measure speed between the two.  Using driving the focus on the Contax 645 lenses via the Nikon body feels solid.  Metering feedback via changes to the DoF, shutter speed or ISO appear unhampered with the Contax lenses being attached.

4)  Disconnecting the set up is a matter of taste.  My experience with using extension tubes, other adapters and teleconverters has been to take the lens + adapter off from the camera as one unit (decouple at the adapter/camera) and then disassemble the lens from the adapter.  The Nikon body's release button does this first step easily.  To then remove the lens from the adapter, a metal tab on the adapter is toggled which releases the coupling lock, allowing the lens and adapter to be uncoupled.  This can be done while the adapter is still on the body for quicker lens changes, but the initial stiffness of the release tab made sticking to old habits an easy choice.  Of course the camera should be turned off prior to uncoupling anything.  I have not seen so far any negative usage issues stemming from using the Nikon body and Contax lenses together, or when using them within each exclusive system afterwards.

5) Other tidbits learned from communicating with Steel Chen.  A) Cannot use the adapter on the D3/D3S/D3X in its current state of manufacture (dont know why as yet as I own one), B) adapter contains proprietary firmware so if it is to be updated the adapter would need to be sent back to Steel to do so, C) he has ideas on other adapters to try.   

So far, I am a happy camper with this set up.  Its not something most of us would want or need - but that its available and brings a different angle to using my equipment is a good thing. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:12:45 pm by Kjormama »

Theodoros

Hi,

I've made a later thread after this, just after I got my own adapter... Pretty much the same observations as you have, so I only have to add a couple of things...

1. Steel's service and communication are superb, he replaced my first adapter free of charge after he developed a new (much tighter) C645 mount and even posted it to me before I shipped mine back...
2. Steel has to machine the C645 mount himself, the Nikon side lens mount he buys out of a supplier as Nikon does... Therefore the Nikon side of the adapter fits on the camera exactly as if it was a Nikon lens... The Contax mount he has to machine himself, there was some "play" with the first adapter (nothing too serious), but none whatsoever with the second... Two out of my 7 Contax lenses (the 80mm & the 45-90 zoom) are tighter than the rest to mount and dismount, the rest are fitting just like if it was a Contax camera.... The two lenses that where tighter, they have improve with time and now (although still tighter than the rest) are completely trouble free to mount and dismount.... No "play" whatsoever with any of the lenses.
3. My 80mm focuses as accurately as any of the rest of my C645 lenses... Focusing accuracy and speed are in another world from the C645 camera body... it is directly comparable as if one would use a genuine Nikkor AF-S lens.
4. The DOF preview button works just fine with the D800E I have, but it doesn't on the DF... This is due to the adapter converting the lens to be recognized from the camera as being one of the latest "E" series lenses, DOF preview button of the DF doesn't work with "E" series lenses either...

One more thing to add (perhaps the most important that would interest someone) is the image quality that the combination results on... My ex-Nikkor glass was no slouch out of the Nikkor lenses... C645 lenses clearly improves on them, probably not so much in resolution, but definitely the rendering, the color saturation, the uniformity across the frame (to be expected as the size of the frame is cropped), the contrast and the flare resistance are on another level.... It caused me to sell all my Nikon glass (but the 24/PCE & the 85PC which I kept for their mechanical properties and then the 17-35/2.8 as to have for UWA) and share the C645 lenses instead...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:52:50 pm by Theodoros »

Kjormama

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 11:13:50 am »

Thanks for the additional info Theodoros - and I totally agree with your assessment of Steel's service and communication (superb).  I did see your other review post on a different forum, but that one was hijacked by others wanting to see other adapters - I posted here instead. 

Like you I am considering lightening my cache of Nikon primes between 35-180mm from what I am seeing out of the C645/D800 combo...  Perhaps hanging on to my 105 AF DC for portraits, and AIs nifty 50's as I use them as body caps.

I've used a Photodiox adapter prior to this, but like it, the Kipon and others I've seen, only offers an internal iris blade control and cannot drive the AF or aperture motors.  These are pretty much useless alternatives with Steels version being around...

The C645 was a nice camera with its all-electronic interface, manual controls and the Zeiss lens choices.  Too bad nobody stepped forward to buy the C645 body from Kyocera, make improvements to modernize the shutter, add a digital sensor etc and get into the MF biz.

Enjoy your new toy - I know I will....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:16:51 am by Kjormama »

Theodoros

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 12:41:32 pm »

the Fotodiox adapter is a joke.... the lens never improves its performance other than what it is at full aperture...
Pages: [1]   Go Up