Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: El Paso Texas  (Read 599 times)

Aztex

El Paso Texas
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

Howdy,

I thought I'd share this with the group as an introduction to my style.

Funny thing. I had scoped a scene 180° away from this. I was there with all my gear, camera on tripod watching the light etc for the 3rd time!

I turned around and through 1" square bars spaced 1" apart I saw this through the rain. Not enough space to use the Nikon so I pull out the iPhone and gingerly maneuver through the bars careful not to drop 30 feet to the tracks. I could barely hold it and frame it.

One of my favorite shots!

BTW I still have not captured the other scene. It was "perfect" once as I drove past a year ago and not since have I caught the light!

Thanks,

Aztex

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: El Paso Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:48:13 am »

You probably need to take the green filter off your phone before you go for a shot like this. The composition is good enough but the barf green light is a problem.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Aztex

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:34:07 am »

You probably need to take the green filter off your phone before you go for a shot like this. The composition is good enough but the barf green light is a problem.

Remove the green cast?!

That's part of the charm! ;D

This is inner city landscape. The location was sketchy at best. It's not intend to be tack sharp nor color balanced.

It was taken with an app called Hipstamatic. Some may consider that "cheating" but I have found that more like film as it bakes in the effects. It would be easy enough to remove a color cast but the way it dealt with the wet lens and atmosphere is pure "luck" and the lomograpy effects while predictable to a degree have to be understood and chosen before hand. Especially with a moving object.

I had to have more understanding of what I envisioned with this shot than the other I was taking with the Nikon. As I considered the alternate view I thought of numerous effects or black and white that could "improve" the light and image post capture.

With this I had one shot and knew I had to make it in camera.

Thanks for your comments!

Aztex

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »

If barf green turns you on, who am I to complain? Enjoy.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Aztex

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »

If barf green turns you on, who am I to complain? Enjoy.

In this case it is part of the image. By your choice of adjective I can see you get it! There was actually a couple of street people sort of stalking me on the narrow walk way over the bridge. At one point I went ahead and removed the Nikon from the tripod to have a weapon if they decided to proceed. It was bleak and raining and I was pissed off I did not get the shot I was after initially.

This was no guided tour of Yosemite :\ If corrected I feel it would be just another light and form study… documentary of a city scape.

Try this..

http://corporate.gettyimages.com/marketing/m05/edit_newsletter/index.aspx?language=en-us&gi=2&pg=11

While in no way shape or form compare my image with this classic it is exactly what I was thinking/feeling at the time.

If you were Krupp you'd complain about the cast, if your Newman you nailed it!

Thanks again!

Aztex
Pages: [1]   Go Up