Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon suggestions  (Read 21623 times)

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Canon suggestions
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 07:57:25 pm »

How about a built-in pop-up flash for fill and for triggering slave units, if not on the next "EOS 1" series cameras, then at least on the next 5D version? This would bee #1 on my list, even ahead of an easier MLU procedure.
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Canon suggestions
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 12:12:44 am »

Somewhere else, I believe I mentioned the desire for exchangeable grips, so that it would be easy to change to a grip that you like.

So you can switch to left handed use?  

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Canon suggestions
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 12:16:02 am »

How about a built-in pop-up flash for fill and for triggering slave units, if not on the next "EOS 1" series cameras, then at least on the next 5D version? This would bee #1 on my list, even ahead of an easier MLU procedure.

Not for me... it wouldn't clear most of my lenses with lens hoods.

EarlyMan

Canon suggestions
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 11:46:43 am »

Hi -

I'll include this, although it's regarding software rather than hardware- (my logic being that DPP comes bundled along with the camera.)

Because many people (myself included), believe that DPP provides the best RAW conversion results, how about a redesigned workflow solution for using it?

It seems that almost all 3rd party RAW converters are heads and shoulders above DPP in processing large numbers of files efficiently. Canon's results are so good, but using the software efficiently on large numbers of files, is a royal pain (to say the least.)

In reality, I wouldn't expect a total redesign of the product, but there are many opportunities for improved throughput, as well as some added functionality, IMO.

-E

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon suggestions
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 12:39:10 pm »

I'm not particularly impressed with DPP in any respect. ACR calibrated with a Color Checker delivers far more accurate color. And given the workflow efficiency of ACR/Bridge, I've given up on everything else.

EarlyMan

Canon suggestions
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 06:24:23 pm »

I'm not particularly impressed with DPP in any respect. ACR calibrated with a Color Checker delivers far more accurate color. And given the workflow efficiency of ACR/Bridge, I've given up on everything else.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathon -

Thank you for your opinion - it's always nice being rebuffed on one's first post in the forum  

Anyway, as I understand it, this topic is about changes we'd like to see Canon make - so how does your reply fit that parameter...?

-E

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon suggestions
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 07:24:49 pm »

Perhaps that Canon should focus on what it does well; making cameras, not wasting time with second-rate proprietary software with an obtuse interface. Proprietary file formats and software is the biggest issue with digital photography right now. If I haven't already said so, DNG support would be extremely welcome.

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
Canon suggestions
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 07:33:27 pm »

The Arca plate is in almost universal use among US and Canadian photographers.

This is the first I've heard of it, actually.  

macgyver

Canon suggestions
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 02:29:38 am »

Yeah, the Arca plate isnt as universial as many would like to think.  Price is a big part of that.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Canon suggestions
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 04:25:02 am »

I'm pretty surprised that the dust issue was not raised by Michael, and only one person here has mentioned it.  I have being using my Oly E-1 for about 2 years now, including in some very dusty environments, and I frequently switch lenses. I've never had to clean the sensor. In fact I've never even had to think about. Perhaps two or three times I've manually activated the SSWF to clear a speck, and it worked.  The rest of you don't know what you're missing....   (yeah, I know what I'm missing: resolution, low noise, fast focus :-) ).

I'm not so sure about increasing the complexity of cameras. Voice control...hmm, interesting idea, but surely that is a solution to a problem that would be better resolved with better ergonomics ?  The whole SLR design paradigm is still stuck in what the French call the "gasworks" paradigm, and piling on yet more "features" is not a good solution. There is room for a total rethink, although this would scare marketing sh*tless - the fate of the Oly E-300 is not comforting.  Voice control _might_ be a solution, but certainly not _the_ solution. I can just imagine how well this would go down in a wildlife hide, or in a church.  A complete, ground up redesign, taking advantage of the freedom gained from losing the film door and winders, and based on solid usability and ergonomic principles, could result in a very different looking device.
--
David Mantripp

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
Canon suggestions
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 01:56:23 pm »

Just a quick note, reminder or whatever on the dust "issue".

I've never cleaned my 20D and feel absolutely no need to do so yet. Maybe next year...  
A friend of mine has never (the horror!!)  cleaned his D60 until a few months ago when he did a review of sensor cleaning products. The body is actually one of the first to become available so you know how old it is (and used on a regular basis, plenty of lens swapping etc.) To tell you the truth, it wasn't that bad either (down to personal interpretation I guess).    

If you're desperately looking for dust you're bound to find it somewhere. Or you could just get on with actually taking photos and stop obsessing over stuff that isn't really visible 99% of the time.  
However, dust problems I did have were with a Fuji S602 where a HUGE dust speck (I'm talking 5-10% of the frame, visible on almost every shot!) somehow managed to find its way inside. That was a job for the service guys though (non removable lens).

I don't deny it might be a huge problem for some people (studio work against a bright, uniform background or coming out of a sandstorm come to mind) but on the other hand, most people have absolutely no need to clean every week (or a month, year...)

Would it be a nice feature? Definitely! Do I need it? Not really, I can manage without.
But then again... I've never used MLU either and only once did I bother using a tripod so maybe I'm not the one to complain or be taken too seriously.      

Whoa... I said a quick note.  
*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

DarkPenguin

Canon suggestions
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:05 pm »

It is more noticable in landscape photography.  (Small aperatures and blue skies and whatnot.)  But with the advent of brushes to clean sensors dust isn't much of an issue.  It isn't as nerve wracking or expensive.

(Minnesota is hell bent on losing this bowl game.)

BJL

Canon suggestions
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 10:51:10 pm »

How about a built-in pop-up flash for fill and for triggering slave units
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
How about instead built-in radio control for triggering slave flash units?

For one thing, I believe that eliminating the pop-up flash makes it easer to produce a robust, environmentally sealed body. (Absence of a pop-up does not however guarantee that advantage; witness the 5D.)

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
Canon suggestions
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2006, 09:34:33 am »

Competely forgot about flash units... yes, the built in control would be awesome to have and make them behave as optical slaves as well as RF.  I want to be able to trigger slaves sans wires underwater where RF don't travel too well. Don't know about IR though.

Pocketwizzard sure didn't work - which we found out only once we already got everything set up (luckily it was in the pool not a scuba dive but sure made us look stupid).  
*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
Canon suggestions
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 03:42:17 pm »

Can I add ISO25 and ISO50 to the list? There are situations where I'd like to be able to dial the sensor speed down even further without having to fumble for an ND or polarizer to cut light.

jani

• Øyet
Canon suggestions
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2006, 08:33:19 am »

Can I add ISO25 and ISO50 to the list? There are situations where I'd like to be able to dial the sensor speed down even further without having to fumble for an ND or polarizer to cut light.
It would also be neat with ISO 6400 and maybe even 12800, no matter how noisy it gets.

A passable alternative would be to allow under-exposure by more than the current +/-3 EV of the 1-series, for instance up to +/-7 (the Nikon D2x has +/-5), which allows us to attempt to extract the data in a raw converter instead.
Jan

www.digitalcamerabattery.ca

Canon suggestions
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:58 pm »

Talk about Canon digital camera? I have one too. But it works not good as i thought.

DarkPenguin

Canon suggestions
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 12:35:32 pm »

Yeah, the Arca plate isnt as universial as many would like to think.  Price is a big part of that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the next A.B. essay is "Artistry and the Arca Plate."  

I would love a built in Arca plate so long as it didn't prevent me from using something else.

I want skinnable cameras.  Like cell phones.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up