Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Devil's Playground  (Read 561 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
The Devil's Playground
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:55:46 pm »

One of my favourite locations.

I think I should reduce the amount of sky to give more prominence to the hill as the proportions of sky and hill are about equal. I would do this by content-aware scaling.

Anything else?
Roger
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:57:19 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

francois

Re: The Devil's Playground
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:37 am »

Beautiful… That said, I tried to reduce the sky portion using CA scaling and it gives a different look. The hill becomes the only subject even with superb sky colors. With the original image, the sky is a major element and, as you say, competes with the hill. Reducing the sky also changes the aspect-ratio of this image.
I haven't yet made my mind but I think that the "reduced-sky" version will win me soon.
Francois

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:59:55 pm »

François, I am on holiday and without access to my files and I would very much like to see what you produced.

Would you please post it here.

Thank you in advance.
Roger

Beautiful… That said, I tried to reduce the sky portion using CA scaling and it gives a different look. The hill becomes the only subject even with superb sky colors. With the original image, the sky is a major element and, as you say, competes with the hill. Reducing the sky also changes the aspect-ratio of this image.
I haven't yet made my mind but I think that the "reduced-sky" version will win me soon.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

Hi Roger,
This week, I'll only have very limited computer power. I've done a quick & dirty CA scale. Here's the image. I would need a better (larger) display and some more time to choose between many versions.

I'll add that the original image is fantastic with its iridescent colors both in the sky and on the hill slopes. CA scaling only adds variations, not better or worse, just different.
Francois

stamper

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:39 am »

I wouldn't change anything and I imagine Kevin would be thrilled with what you have achieved?  ;) It isn't "realistic" but it is all the better for not being "realistic". Well done. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up