Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose between some photos, please.  (Read 1526 times)

thierrylegros396

Help me choose between some photos, please.
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »

Help me choose between some photos, please.

I've just captured this sunset again, as in november I discover a powerline tower affecting the image quality.

So these were taken from a slightly different place to hide the tower.

Have a Nice day.

Thierry

walter.sk

Re: Help me choose between some photos, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:24:12 pm »

Nice scene.  For me, the first image is the most satisfying.  My eye is drawn immediately to the sun and tree, where the cloud at the treetop is part of the payoff for looking there.  In the last image the clouds draw my eye away from the tree, and the placement of the elements in the middle image do not hold together as well for me.

I vote for #1.

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »

For me, number 2 is the weakest. After a bit of umm-ing and aah-ing I voet #3 - the clouds with the help form a 'Y' shape with the two halves of the tree and thw whole thing funnels down to the setting sun.

Unfortunately it reminds me of so many images of mine: you know there is something there but you can never quite get it out to create a killer image and you are chasing unicorns. Maybe it is the shadows at the bottom are too dark and create a void and you need a bit more detail especially to give the trees some 'root' to the ground (if you crop at the line of the rooftops you well see what I mean); maybe the real image is in sky itself and in these skies are just not 'exciting' enough and you need to keep on trying until a combination of sunset and clouds give a bit more body to the image.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:02:37 am »

For me, number 2 is the weakest. After a bit of umm-ing and aah-ing I voet #3 - the clouds with the help form a 'Y' shape with the two halves of the tree and thw whole thing funnels down to the setting sun.

Unfortunately it reminds me of so many images of mine: you know there is something there but you can never quite get it out to create a killer image and you are chasing unicorns. Maybe it is the shadows at the bottom are too dark and create a void and you need a bit more detail especially to give the trees some 'root' to the ground (if you crop at the line of the rooftops you well see what I mean); maybe the real image is in sky itself and in these skies are just not 'exciting' enough and you need to keep on trying until a combination of sunset and clouds give a bit more body to the image.

You're right, but optimal conditions rarely exist, and we have to cope with the reality.

Of course, I can lighten that dark bottom and foreground.

But a recent article from Michaël who says that's sometimes better to keep non essential parts of the image dark to enlighten the main subjet that push me to let it dark.

Have a Nice day.

Thierry

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 01:00:30 pm »

My vote's for the third: I like the way the clouds are split to either side of the tree, leaving a clear V in the centre of the image.

Jeremy

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:20:32 pm »

My favourite is #1 because of the forms of the clouds. They make an interesting pattern of their own on this one.

walter.sk

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 03:55:17 pm »

See how the various opinions demonstrate just how nebulous this issue is. :P

spidermike

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:12:55 pm »

But a recent article from Michaël who says that's sometimes better to keep non essential parts of the image dark to enlighten the main subjet that push me to let it dark.

I know exactly what you mean and have been through that dilemma myself many times. My thinking here was driven more by the fact the tree in this case (IMO) forms an important part of the image and is currently reduced to the branches above the skyline. If the tree was off to one side it would be less important. If the tree was in complete profile (trunk and all) it would be a slam-dunk as it is. A tricky one with, and as Walter says, somewhat nebulous.

I really hope you manage to catch 'the one'. Good luck.

rambler44

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:59:39 pm »

With a subject like the large tree, getting as much negative space (empty sky) behind it would make it stand out the most by having the negative space giving it definition. So, having it with no cloud behind it would work best for me.  There is not much difference here, but it is #3 that I like best.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:01:37 pm by rambler44 »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:40:27 am »

With a subject like the large tree, getting as much negative space (empty sky) behind it would make it stand out the most by having the negative space giving it definition. So, having it with no cloud behind it would work best for me.  There is not much difference here, but it is #3 that I like best.

Hopefully I have also one with no clouds ;) ;)

Thierry

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:20 am »

I like both #1 and #3, with perhaps a slight preference for the third. If these were my photos, I'd make an effort to remove the contrails, especially the one nearest the sun and the horizontal one over on the right side. I think this is a personal thing, but due to their brightness, they catch my eye in an unwanted way.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up