Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus Magic and Photoshop Workflow  (Read 2568 times)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
Focus Magic and Photoshop Workflow
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:01:26 am »

I am looking to switch to using FocusMagic for my input sharpening in my Photoshop workflow and wonder the best way of integrating it?

Basically I RAW process in LR and then move the image into PS for final adjustments - generally a number of layer adjustments with masks. I understand the best time to apply FocusMagic is after all other adjustments have been made.

Given I have a number of layers - which I don't want to flatten in case I go back to tweak later - how do I handle these layers, so FocusMagic can work on the fully adjusted image?   

I had assumed I could group all the layers into one group and then use FocusMagic on that single view, but if so I can't find how to do this

Appreciate all help

Phil

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Focus Magic and Photoshop Workflow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:29 am »

I am looking to switch to using FocusMagic for my input sharpening in my Photoshop workflow and wonder the best way of integrating it?

Basically I RAW process in LR and then move the image into PS for final adjustments - generally a number of layer adjustments with masks. I understand the best time to apply FocusMagic is after all other adjustments have been made.

Hi Phil,

Not necessarily. In principle, one would start with Capture sharpening (if necessary preceded by noise reduction if there is a lot of it). This allows the deconvolution to consider the tonal differences as they were shot (and blurred by the capture process). Strictly, it also works best on linear gamma data, but the algorithm could do an intermediate gamma linearization round trip under-the-hood (FocusMagic seems to to things right, including reducing the risk of amplifying noise too much). Once you start introducing all sorts of tonal adjustments, the original capture relationships between tones gets lost, which can be good for viewing, but troublesome for deconvolution sharpening (either shadows or highlights may develop halos at edge transitions).

There can be scenarios where it is possible to do good Capture sharpening as a final step, but then it is more commonly combined with other things like resampling, distortion corrections, or plain resizing. I usually start my Photoshop processing (running just one action to do all the work) with the creation of a duplicate of Background layer, and put it in Luminosity blending mode, with initial Blend-if layer settings, like shown below, and Capture sharpen that layer.

This allows to control the opacity of the sharpening, if necessary locally by masking (e.g. mask out smooth sky areas), and adjust the blend-if settings to subject/taste. It also allows to switch off the sharpening before downsampling, where it can only create more aliasing issues that we don't need.

Additional processing can be done by just adding adjustment layers, which will then incorporate the sharpened detail, and e.g. allows to avoid clipping or help with easier edge selections or more accurate luminosity masks.

Given I have a number of layers - which I don't want to flatten in case I go back to tweak later - how do I handle these layers, so FocusMagic can work on the fully adjusted image?

If you do want to add the Capture sharpening after all other adjustments, just create a copy of the merged visible layers, and sharpen that. I use the Alt (on Windows, Option on a Mac) key and then select merge visible layers from the Layers menu (or Alt+Shift+Ctrl+E) to create a 'Stamp Visible' layer. That leaves the other layers intact, and just creates a new layer with a cumulative summary of all layers, ready to add e.g. sharpening (and optionally add a mask). It's quick enough to redo if you alter any of the other layers (first save any masking you may have applied to that sharpening layer).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PBC

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:51:23 am »

Thanks Bart, that makes a lot of sense

So I need to adjust my workflow to...

Open from LR
Focus Magic sharpen (I like the duplicate layer approach, so will adopt that)
Add adjustment layers as required
Save TIF (with all layers) back to LR for keeping

Now to extend the question...

Once the TIF is saved back to LR, I currently reopen it in PS to resize and then output sharpen (using Photokit Sharpener).  Would I be better to actually export the TIF from LR using LR's output sharpening - and avoid going back to PS?   (I already print the TIFs from LR)

Thanks

Phil

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:16:25 am »

Thanks Bart, that makes a lot of sense

So I need to adjust my workflow to...

Open from LR
Focus Magic sharpen (I like the duplicate layer approach, so will adopt that)
Add adjustment layers as required
Save TIF (with all layers) back to LR for keeping

Yes, that's how I would do it if LR was my DAM/Raw converter of choice.

Now to extend the question...

Once the TIF is saved back to LR, I currently reopen it in PS to resize and then output sharpen (using Photokit Sharpener).  Would I be better to actually export the TIF from LR using LR's output sharpening - and avoid going back to PS?   (I already print the TIFs from LR)

Hard to say. If you can settle for LRs output sharpening, then that will give decent results. Its resampling is better than from Photoshop, unless you use dedicated resampling plugins in PS, such as PhotoZoom Pro (only for upsampling) or Perfect Resize. The benefit of output sharpening in Photoshop (e.g. PK sharpener, FocusMagic, or Topaz Detail) is that you have much more control at the final output size than Lightroom offers.

So one could Export and resize the already Capture sharpened Master TIFF to output size (@native printer resolution) from LR without LR sharpening, which would create a new TIFF, then output sharpen that in Photoshop for that specific output size and its viewing conditions. Large output sizes in particular can benefit from that. For small size prints, LR goes a long way, although it's hard to beat final output that got a bit more care and handholding.

I'm especially fond of what Topaz Detail can do for Creative sharpening (on the Master file) and Output sharpening (on the resized output file), also because it produces (automatically) halo free detail adjustment and can spare smooth sky regions while enhancing small feature detail at the same time.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PBC

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »

Thanks again Bart; I will have a think and adapt accordingly

Phil

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:06:38 pm »

I understand the best time to apply FocusMagic is after all other adjustments have been made.

I don't buy this. Why would you do FM last? After all, FM (as I understand it) can help with lack of sharpness due to bad focus, camera motion, or less-than-ideal optics. So ideally, you would have, when you took the photo: (a) focused properly, (b) held the camera steady, and (c) used a good lens -- so the sharpness "corrections" would be in the image from the very start. Why not use FM to put them in from the start during processing? That's what I do.

PBC

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »

I now agree - but somewhere I read that it was recommended to do it after all adjustments; guidance that I now understand was wrong  :)

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up